Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: Misuse of Phillips....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:29 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

These coaches seem like they have nothing better to do than screw things up. This column by Jackson describes how Phillips, listed as a LB instead of a down lineman, will be used less as a down lineman than as a LB. Have these guys, mostly washed up coaches, many replaced yearly by a confused Flores, not learned their lesson? They haven’t developed players in Miami in years, often letting them go to other teams where they flourish, or signing expensive FAs who never produced here as they did before.

I wanted Phillips bad, and we got him. At the U he was a full time DE, contrary to what these guys are now reporting. Maybe he stood up but he was still lined up at the DE position, not off the LOS. I tell you, these guys, these coaches, will not get the most out of Phillips if they use him that way. The NFL isn’t a strict 3rd down passing league, they throw it all over the place. From what I’m reading Phillips will be somewhere downfield, unproductive, instead of in the backfield creating havoc.

Quote:
Dolphins rookie first-round pick Jaelan Phillips, who was primarily a defensive end at UM, said his move to linebacker has gone smoothly.

He noted there are nuances to learn with regard to communication —and more peering over his shoulder to see what’s happening behind him in the back end of the defense — that are different from playing defensive end, but Phillips is excited about it. [my version: of course he is! what’s he gonna say? that the coaches suck? I’ll say it for him though]

Todd Stroud, Phillips’ defensive line coach at Miami, told me in this piece that Phillips had his hand on the ground 60 percent of the time at UM and “40 percent he was a stand-up [player]. He’s comfortable playing a hybrid linebacker that stands up and awesome on third down with his hand on the ground.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:46 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well maybe let’s just see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:57 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
This column by Jackson describes how Phillips, listed as a LB instead of a down lineman, will be used less as a down lineman than as a LB.

I'm a little concerned about it as well, but we'll see how he does. My guess is that he'll play both DE and OLB as Jason Taylor did successfully. Phillips became outstanding last year when he switched to DE full time. And, he had no concussions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:51 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I'm not too concerned about taking the chance on it. There were times last year that Andrew Van Ginkel lined up on the LOS and he is clearly undersized in that role, but was still successful. If Phillips can move around like a linebacker, I don't see too much of an issue giving him a similar role to Van Ginkel.

This is the point in a player's career that these things can be tested and worked on anyways. The guy is young and developing still; why not see what you can get out of him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:35 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I get the message above of let’s see, maybe it will work....but the point I was trying to make is why mess with a good thing? The impact this kid brings, due to his motor, his mechanics, his athleticism, his desire to get to the ball, makes him a threat to disrupt the pocket, all the reasons why they got him in the first place, then why ask him to do stuff he’s never done, does not have the make up for, risking him becoming unproductive, resulting in these over rated coaches to say, oh, he isn’t ready, leave him on the bench or limit his playing time?

Miami does not have a player on their roster on the front seven that individually can do the things this defense needs like Phillips is expected to be able to do, as a result they have had to resort to gimmicky blitzing that exposes other weaknesses on defense. I’ve seen enough of these “experiments” that wind up hurting the confidence and as a result the productivity of young players. And let’s be frank here, the coaching staff here has not impressed, it’s been a revolving door during Flores tenure, so it’s like why trust them with the “keys” to the franchise?

Leave Phillips alone. There are 52 other players on this roster, a roster whose talent level was recently rated twenty-something league wide, who do require attention and that’s where their focus ought to be.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:14 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Yeah this coaching staff sure area bunch of bums. Every day I find myself longing for the good old days when we could count on Smokin' Joe Philbin to make all the right moves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:30 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

k-dash wrote:
Yeah this coaching staff sure area bunch of bums. Every day I find myself longing for the good old days when we could count on Smokin' Joe Philbin to make all the right moves.

you impressed by this coaching staff? any tenure among them? the Flores’ musical chairs? don’t look no better than anything we’ve had, Philbin and others included. Just see the W-L record, the chaos at QB, millions thrown away on FA mistakes, and lack of player development.....

...but I’m happy for you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
k-dash wrote:

you impressed by this coaching staff? any tenure among them? the Flores’ musical chairs? don’t look no better than anything we’ve had, Philbin and others included. Just see the W-L record, the chaos at QB, millions thrown away on FA mistakes, and lack of player development.....

...but I’m happy for you.

I'm actually impressed with them. Any coaching staff that gets this group of players to overachieve as they have is worth respecting no matter the turnover. I think you are suffering from PTSD from previous regimes where players underachieved. I pretty much trust them with decisions on this team and that includes how they want to use Phillips. I think you're turning into a crotchety old man, Carreramia;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:56 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think maybe you are a tiny bit pessimistic and looking for things to not like, Carr.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:07 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:

If it isn't the players and it isn't the coaches, then how did the Dolphins win ten games last year?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:11 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
carreramia wrote:

If it isn't the players and it isn't the coaches, then how did the Dolphins win ten games last year?

Buffalo proved how ten games are quite meaningless. I could include the miracle vs the Raiders and other such games where Fitz did the damage. It could just as easily have been 7 or 8 wins instead.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:41 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:
carreramia wrote:

Buffalo proved how ten games are quite meaningless. I could include the miracle vs the Raiders and other such games where Fitz did the damage. It could just as easily have been 7 or 8 wins instead.

Ok so if you’re going to discount wins based on a lucky bounce here or there, then you can take that argument as far as you want. If Tua had made that blind Hail Mary throw to beat the Raiders, you would have dismissed that as a poor choice that bounced his way. The bottom line is that our team did win ten games and we were in the close games so we were in position for a key play or two to make the difference. How many times over the last two decades did we typically lose those close games? Better than 50% I’d guess. You simply don’t want to give credit to anything this team has done in the past two seasons. I can understand the “prove it to me” attitude, but I think you take it to the next level which is to crap on everything and everyone regardless of the results.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:38 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:
carreramia wrote:

So, that's the problem. You equate the 16 game season into just that last game. Look at every team's schedule and you'll see one game where for some reason unknown they don't show up. I'm not giving an excuse for that performance as good teams need to win at the end of the season, but you'll see some Super Bowl teams get blown out in the Super Bowl after a very good season. It happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:21 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I don't know if the Phillips move will be good or bad but the coach will get the benefit of the doubt from me for now because of the improvement in d i have seen. The Phins had a top 6 scoring D last year. If the d keeps you close in most games at least you have a chance to win.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A little more info on what the Dolphins love about DE/OLB Jaelan Philips.

NFL Spin Zone wrote:
Though he truly had only one year with elite film after a tumultuous stint at UCLA and flirtation with retirement, Phillips was this year’s draft class’s best overall blend of athleticism, polish and burst. Put simply, it was obvious why he was so highly touted coming out of high school.

But with that, some might assume that he’s going to have a big learning curve in the NFL. That may be true in some aspects but, overall, he’s going to play a crucial role right away and will only see that expand as the season wears on.

Stemming from his time with the Patriots, Dolphins head coach Brian Flores values versatility with his edge rushers. And according to Cameron Wolfe of ESPN (subscription required), Phillips checks those boxes as he clearly displayed the tools this offseason to operate effectively as both a stand-up outside linebacker in a 3-4 front or as a defensive end in the 4-3 looks.

https://nflspinzone.com/2021/06/30/jael ... ight-away/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:37 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Dolphins run a base 3-4. Lining up a 265 lbs player as a 5 technique in a 3-4 is a recipe for run defense disaster.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:21 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

not all 265lb’ers are built the same....from his UM film, running at him was not a successful strategy. Besides, good coaching strategy, if we had it, would use that as trap, encouraging runs at him while defending the edge.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:24 am 

carreramia wrote:
not all 265lb’ers are built the same....from his UM film, running at him was not a successful strategy. Besides, good coaching strategy, if we had it, would use that as trap, encouraging runs at him while defending the edge.

In UM, he was being used as a 7 technique in a 4-3 base for the most part, although Manny will mix it up with 4-2 and 3-4.

In the NFL, he could be a 7 technique, but he is not built to be a 5 technique. Players that play a 5 technique can usually switch to defensive tackle in a 3-4.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:47 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phillips and Davis showing off the full Dolphins uniform on Media Day.

Dolphins Wire (USA Today) wrote:
Because in Phillips’ media day photoshoot, the No. 18 overall pick from the 2021 NFL draft is dressed for game day and the aesthetics of Phillips rocking a No. 15 jersey, along with a tinted visor, is quite the sight to behold.

So, too, is the cameo appearance of Dolphins second-year defensive lineman Raekwon Davis — who is a massive nose tackle and listed on the Dolphins roster around 330 pounds after being made a 2nd-round draft choice by Miami in 2020. And, as you can see below, Phillips measures up quite well to his young co-star on the Dolphins’ defensive line.

https://dolphinswire.usatoday.com/2021/ ... hotoshoot/

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]