Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:02 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
Overview:

Edge defender with plus physical attributes and a motor that keeps him working and attacking throughout the rep. Philips might have the combination of length and athleticism that would allow teams to look at him with a hand on the ground or standing depending on his weight. Adding play strength will be important so that he can stack it up when setting the edge as a run defender in the league. He's a slippery-limbed pass rusher with good first-step quickness, which bodes well for his future rush success if he gets better with his hands and learns a go-to counter. He has a shot at becoming a solid future starter along the edge if his medicals pan out.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jaelan-phillips/32005048-4925-4734-953b-176f711c1e6f

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:07 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Best edge prospect in a class devoid of edge talent....oh...and he has multiple concussions.....meh. Enjoy a stellar career in Pittsburgh Najee.

Last edited by Phinished on Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:07 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

He was an absolute beast for the Canes. I love this pick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:09 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

bobby0112 wrote:

I bet he can’t set the edge in the NFL and if he is concussion prone, that sucks. What is it with Miami drafting the beaten and battered?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:
bobby0112 wrote:

I bet he can’t set the edge in the NFL and if he is concussion prone, that sucks. What is it with Miami drafting the beaten and battered?

He was the best pass rusher available at 18. If they weren't going to reach for a RB at 18, this was the best pass rusher. Flores will love him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Harris at 18 was not a reach. The Steelers can evaluate talent, particularly at RB. That was a solid pick. Harris is not a runner only either...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:36 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:
Harris at 18 was not a reach. The Steelers can evaluate talent, particularly at RB. That was a solid pick. Harris is not a runner only either...

Steelers needed a back. Miami needed a pass rusher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:41 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yes...but they got a top back from a deep class. We got a top edge rusher from an underwhelming class. Top pass rushers usually go pick 1-10....not 18.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:05 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:
Yes...but they got a top back from a deep class. We got a top edge rusher from an underwhelming class. Top pass rushers usually go pick 1-10....not 18.
Not wrong. Phillips is a gamble. Talent wise he is a top 10 pick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:09 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Phinished wrote:
Not wrong. Phillips is a gamble. Talent wise he is a top 10 pick

So why gamble? Running back was a need and we had our choice of the best...

I had to laugh when another 1st round edge pick was selected and the announcers noted he did not record a sack last year. Wow....amd that is a 1st rounder? Wow.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:16 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phinished wrote:

I had to laugh when another 1st round edge pick was selected and the announcers noted he did not record a sack last year. Wow....amd that is a 1st rounder? Wow.....

Because backs are cheap and easier to find over finding an edge rusher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:21 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dphins4me wrote:
Phinished wrote:

Because backs are cheap and easier to find over finding an edge rusher

Sure...if that edge guy is Nick Bosa or some other such talent. This was not the draft to find your edge rusher. Maybe we got lucky, but it was just about the weakest position in this draft class.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:53 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phinished wrote:

Ummm ... if it is a weak class, it makes sense to take the top one, since the talent is thin. If the class is deep, you can afford to wait.

Jaelen Phillips is a top-ten talent who slid due to concussions two years ago. Last year he was a beast. He is right there in Miami -- I'm sure they were able to get a good read on his health.

Last edited by prof123 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:37 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's Jaelan Phillips Phinfever draft page:

Dolphins pick 1B - Miami DE Jaelan Phillips (draft analysis)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:51 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Most analysts all agree that without the injury issues at UCLA prior to transferring to the U, he would have been a top 10 pick. The Dolphins needed an Edge to pair up with Ogbah. They created the hole at DE by trading Lawson.

Talentwise, this was a very good pick for the Dolphins. If you would have asked me who I didn't want at 18, I would have probably told you this guy due to the concussions. Concussions scare me, but they were no secret and the Dolphins analyzed him deeply felt that it was a good move. I'll go with it and be excited, but we are all going to love his motor and that quick first step.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Thoughts on Jaelan Phillips:

I like the player, I like the 2020 production and he was probably the best edge rusher in this draft class. I do not like the pick at 18. Phillips medical history makes this selection more of a short term move and unlikely to be foundational talent who scares defenses for years to come. There was also a lot of commentary about how his film at UCLA was mediocre. He would have been an excellent value in Round 2. I'm sure as I type this I'll be looking back one year from now and eating some serious crow. He is versatile in that he can put his hand in the dirt and drop back when needed. I'm sure Brian Flores loved that factor. I believe he will often some serious benefit in 2021 but would have preferred someone like Kwity Paye if Miami was dead set on getting a 1st Round Edge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:13 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:18 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Taking two running backs over the course of ten picks is considered a run?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:28 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I think in today's game two RBs going in the first round is considered a run.

Boy, times change.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:34 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Carerramia must be ecstatic with this pick. He was pounding the table weeks ago for this kid.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:36 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jgod1 wrote:
Carerramia must be ecstatic with this pick. He was pounding the table weeks ago for this kid.

Yep. I was on the phone with him when the Bengals picked Chase. At that point, he went to bed, and he never even saw who we picked at 6, let alone 18!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:12 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

prof123 wrote:
jgod1 wrote:

Yep. I was on the phone with him when the Bengals picked Chase. At that point, he went to bed, and he never even saw who we picked at 6, let alone 18!

It was bedtime for gramps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:16 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If the Dolphins pick Michael Carter and Osa Odighizuwa, he might have to permanently remove his "Phinfever -- Stay Off My Lawn" sign.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:18 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jgod1 wrote:

I waited to post my thoughts until everyone had their shot...I'm a big U fan, I always record their games, then go back and would stop and replay Phillips work....I normally don't go bonkers on any drafted player because frankly, and with all due respect, we out here know squat.....but in this case, I will venture a strong opinion, I watched this guy because he simply stood out...his motor, his athletic ability, he's non stop, he's quick and won't quit on a play....I have mentioned he reminds me of TJ Watt only more athletic.....my only worry is that Grier picked him, there's a dubious record there you know? But here with this Phillips, Grier had to stumble and just accidentally pressed the "pick is in button" and he had to eat it....I think he meant to take Lawrence Phillips (remember him?)...if they don't ruin him by tying his hands in some cockamamie system, you all watch and wait....you'll be happy with this guy.

And in my defense; I respect that the prefesser didn't say anything else, but after he and I discussed Waddle and argued as to how many times Tua will underthrow him, I had to beg off as I had to get up at 4am Friday, had a 12 hr drive to the Smoky Mountains (from where I'm writing this), where me and the gang will be riding for a week. Granpa that Thrawn!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:51 pm 

I think you are confusing Lawrence Phillips with Cecil Collins... but... understandable mistake.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:23 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

[quote="Rich"]I think you are confusing Lawrence Phillips with Cecil Collins... but... understandable mistake.[/quote}

where is the "understandable mistake" of "Phillips" in the name Cecil Collins?? He wasn't drafted, yes, but please....

Either trying to mix things up or slowing down at a very sad young age...you could become Rigo II.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:23 am 

I apologize then. Your mistake was irreprehensible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:15 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

This one hurts me as I work and attended NC State.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:00 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I know Chris Simms isnt the biggest analyist or anything but man does he hype up Jaelan in this, https://youtu.be/GlKjl9saJo0

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:11 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

will be the best, productive, a future star no. 1 pick for the woefully drafting Dolphins in decades....unless this overrated coaching staff ruins him....pls don't Minkah him, don't over coach the thing, he's an all-down player, don't waste him to cover a back, don't waste him to check the TE, don't waste him inside to think you're tricking the offense....don't waste him on the sideline, with some dumb a** rotation, just line him up outside and let him fly to the ball...

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:15 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
will be the best, productive, a future star no. 1 pick for the woefully drafting Dolphins in decades....unless this overrated coaching staff ruins him....pls don't Minkah him, don't over coach the thing, he's an all-down player, don't waste him to cover a back, don't waste him to check the TE, don't waste him inside to think you're tricking the offense....don't waste him on the sideline, with some dumb a** rotation, just line him up outside and let him fly to the ball...

I've got to hand it to you -- you have been calling for the Dolphins to draft him at 18 for some time now. In any case, it is nice to see some optimism coming from you!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 8:25 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

teamalley wrote:
I know Chris Simms isnt the biggest analyist or anything but man does he hype up Jaelan in this, https://youtu.be/GlKjl9saJo0

Some say that he can be a 10 sack a season pass rusher for us. I think I read that Coach Flores peed in his pants a little when Grier drafted him.

:haha

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:04 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

prof123 wrote:
it is nice to see some optimism coming from you!

When it is warranted, but if I’ve missed one (which is probably over estimating it), please do tell, and pls don’t look for it in your half of the glass, that there is a factory of make believe and mucho unbridled fantasy. An accumulation of 25 years of Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus dreams.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:57 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:

When it is warranted, but if I’ve missed one (which is probably over estimating it), please do tell, and pls don’t look for it in your half of the glass, that there is a factory of make believe and mucho unbridled fantasy. An accumulation of 25 years of Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus dreams.

You want some optimism? I say each of these is going to happen. Which ones do you disagree with?
1. Gaskin will have 1500+ yards from scrimmage.
2. Tua will throw for 4000+ yards with 30+ TDs and fewer than 10 INTs.
3. Fuller will get injured and will have fewer than 25 catches.
4. Your boy will have at least 8 sacks.
5. Waddle will score at least seven TDs.
6. Dolphins win at least 10 games.
7. Tua gets sacked 25 times or less.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:18 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

those are just wild a$$ guesses, you must be having withdrawals after your four month sleep-a-thon on the draft.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

but to play along, I would love for no.2 to be true, but c’mon Santa, it ain’t gonna happen especially 30tds, I mean, if Fuller is good for 25catches and Waddle only gets 7tds? Who? Gesicki?

winning 10 games doesn’t get us squat, last yr proof, but that would be good for Tua’s first year full-time....but that ain’t gonna happen if Fuller is out and Waddle is on training wheels....

And if Tua gets sacked 25 times, I would imagine he gets hit another 100 times....he ain’t gonna survive and that would not speak well of our developing line so I hope you are very very wrong there....and btw, who’s our no. 2? Larry Seiple?

and 1500 yds total is proof we needed a running back taken high in this draft as Grier left no doubt that he is a moron....and I mean that in the nicest way possible....if that safety at 2 is another Iggy, we’ll be in pitchfork and torch mode......

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:24 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

carreramia wrote:
those are just wild a$$ guesses, you must be having withdrawals after your four month sleep-a-thon on the draft.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz......

but to play along, I would love for no.2 to be true, but c’mon Santa, it ain’t gonna happen especially 30tds, I mean, if Fuller is good for 25catches and Waddle only gets 7tds? Who? Gesicki?

winning 10 games doesn’t get us squat, last yr proof, but that would be good for Tua’s first year full-time....but that ain’t gonna happen if Fuller is out and Waddle is on training wheels....

And if Tua gets sacked 25 times, I would imagine he gets hit another 100 times....he ain’t gonna survive and that would not speak well of our developing line so I hope you are very very wrong there....and btw, who’s our no. 2? Larry Seiple?

and 1500 yds total is proof we needed a running back taken high in this draft as Grier left no doubt that he is a moron....and I mean that in the nicest way possible....if that safety at 2 is another Iggy, we’ll be in pitchfork and torch mode......

Waddle 5, Parker 6, Williams 5, Gesicki 6, Gaskin 3, Long 3, Fuller 2, other random RBs and TEs 4. That makes 34 -- no problem.

I'm a fan of Gaskin. He knows how to run.

That safety is much more ready to play than Iggy was. Iggy had the physical tools but didn't have much experience. (I'm still not sure about him. If he does pan out, soon, then I think is on the trade block.) That went for our other first round pick last year (Jackson), too. This year, the OT and DB we drafted early are ready to play right away.

They weren't wild a$$ guesses, and they didn't come out of the Farmer's Almanac either. They were the output from carefully constructed binary algorithms. Put them down in your little notebook and check back in January.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:36 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

prof123 wrote:
carreramia wrote:
prof123 wrote:

You want some optimism? I say each of these is going to happen. Which ones do you disagree with?

Lol....rose-colored glasses on there. Gaskin’s numbers are about right assuming he is the main ball carrier and plays all 17 games...we have a bonus game this year, or is the NFL in the air on that? His body can not handle that load.

Tua’s numbers extrapolated out to 16 games is more like 3500 yards, 22 TD’s to 10 INT. I need to see a schedule first, but I do not see him throwing more than 30 tds. If the Phins still can’t run the ball, Tua will have a rough season indeed.

Fuller and the Phillips projection are probably close, but I see Phillips as more like a 6 sack guy in year 1. He won’t be a freak athlete on an NFL field.

Waddle might score 7 TD’s if return TD’s are factored in...

Tua got sacked 20 times in 10 games last year....so projecting 25 or less is no magic act.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 11:24 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phinished wrote:
-----------------------------

Lol....rose-colored glasses on there. Gaskin’s numbers are about right assuming he is the main ball carrier and plays all 17 games...we have a bonus game this year, or is the NFL in the air on that? His body can not handle that load.

Tua’s numbers extrapolated out to 16 games is more like 3500 yards, 22 TD’s to 10 INT. I need to see a schedule first, but I do not see him throwing more than 30 tds. If the Phins still can’t run the ball, Tua will have a rough season indeed.

Fuller and the Phillips projection are probably close, but I see Phillips as more like a 6 sack guy in year 1. He won’t be a freak athlete on an NFL field.

Waddle might score 7 TD’s if return TD’s are factored in...

Tua got sacked 20 times in 10 games last year....so projecting 25 or less is no magic act.

Right -- these are not unrealistic predictions at all, assuming the players are healthy. But for C', they are wildly optimistic, and that was my point.

Right, 17 games, so that is only 90 yards per game for Gaskin. 25 sacks is 1.5 sacks per game for Tua, which is much better than last year's pace, which would be 34. I was including returns for Waddle. I expect significant improvement from Tua, and 22 TDs (if he plays the entire season) would be a big disappointment.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:27 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Phinished wrote:

Lol....rose-colored glasses on there.

ahhh, don’t mind him, he’s had the Dolphins in the SB every year for the last 25 years, and since he insists is all a product of carefully constructed binary LEGO building blocks or something, it likely explains why 64.5% of his former students are all driving Amazon or UPS vehicles today.

This is the feller that still thinks Jay Fiedler belongs on the Fins Ring of Honor. ‘nough said!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:27 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
Phinished wrote:

Lol....rose-colored glasses on there.

ahhh, don’t mind him, he’s had the Dolphins in the SB every year for the last 25 years, and since he insists is all a product of carefully constructed binary LEGO building blocks or something, it likely explains why 64.5% of his former students are all driving Amazon or UPS vehicles today.

This is the feller that still thinks Jay Fiedler belongs on the Fins Ring of Honor. ‘nough said!

Sadly, Fiedler is still the best QB we had post-Marino.

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next