All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

It has been an unusually quiet week for Miami in the free agent market.

I don't think any major moves are in the works to sign a player although rumors of inking Seattle RB Chris Carson popped up yesterdy. Miami's only major need at this point is an Edge to replace Shaq Lawson. The two best available are Melvin Ingram and Carlos Dunlap, but both are older than what Miami targets.

Per Barry Jackson, Miami sits at $12.5 million under the cap but will need to create room to accommodate rookies, practice squad guys and some cushion. Something will have to give.

I don't think it would be a stretch to see if Miami will try and trade some WRs, notably Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant and Allen Hurns. Fetching more than a conditional 7th Round pick is a pipe dream but it is at least something better than a release.

I would not be surprised if Miami tried to trade for an Edge, possibly with a swap of draft picks. Maybe a team looking to move up in the draft would send one?

Speaking of the draft, a few things come to mind. If the rumors are true about Carolina going all in on Deshaun Watson it hurts Miami's chances of getting a haul for the 3rd overall pick. I do not think either Philly or Detroit will be aggressive in moving up. Flores also hinted at staying in the Top 10 so that eliminates San Francisco. Word is Atlanta is hot for Trey Lance so maybe the best you get is them flipping a mid round pick to secure the 3rd pick. This of course hinges on Carolina landing Watson.

My deeper thoughts are focusing on Miami repeating what they did last year. If I had to guess I think they might be aiming to trade back into the 1st Round for a player, similar to acquiring Noah Igbinoghene. Perhaps they grab a receiving target in the Top 10 (my current favorites are Kyle Pitts and Jaylen Waddle), use the 18th pick on either Najee Harris or Travis Etienne (they worked him out a lot) and trade back into Round 1 for a pass rusher (Azeez Ojulari and Joseph Ossai would be the targets). If they don't have to give up the 50th pick to make that move then they should be sitting pretty to grab a center with starting capability. This scenario seems like a Chris Grier type of strategy.

Feel free to agree or disagree.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:32 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don’t know that this situation with Watson will clear up before the draft, and I cannot see anyone with an ounce of common sense wanting to trade for him until after these allegations are settled. My money is on Watson remaining in Houston this year or if the allegations are founded, him being cut and his career in the NFL being over. I just don’t see this getting settled before the draft.
I think teams that may have been looking for a QB will either draft one or wait to address the position next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:34 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I think your draft day scenario seems very logical and consistent with Grier's style. It should land us several week one starters or at least major contributors. I'm not sure they double up on WR in the draft like a lot of people expect and want. It's a pretty crowded room. I do think we double up at edge/olb though.

I'm hoping for wr, rb, edge, olb, c and o line depth (not necessarily in that order). It's a lot to ask for but why not dream?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
My deeper thoughts are focusing on Miami repeating what they did last year. If I had to guess I think they might be aiming to trade back into the 1st Round for a player, similar to acquiring Noah Igbinoghene. Perhaps they grab a receiving target in the Top 10 (my current favorites are Kyle Pitts and Jaylen Waddle), use the 18th pick on either Najee Harris or Travis Etienne (they worked him out a lot) and trade back into Round 1 for a pass rusher (Azeez Ojulari and Joseph Ossai would be the targets). If they don't have to give up the 50th pick to make that move then they should be sitting pretty to grab a center with starting capability. This scenario seems like a Chris Grier type of strategy.

Nice job, Dan. And one thing to remember is that if Grier wants someone in the draft, he will draft him earlier than most people project that player to go in order to get him. Not crazy early, but we saw a few go about 15 players early last year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:06 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'm envisioning Chicago coming in with a "Godfather" deal to wrestle Trey Lance out from under Atlanta.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:38 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

jgod1 wrote:
I'm envisioning Chicago coming in with a "Godfather" deal to wrestle Trey Lance out from under Atlanta.

Miami wouldn't want to fall that far back unless they got a stud player as part of the deal (which is possible I guess). Chicago would have to do what Philly did for Wentz - trade from 20 into the top 10, then deal that pick and mortgage the future to get up to 3. That is a lot of draft capital.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:42 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phin wrote:
I don’t know that this situation with Watson will clear up before the draft

I think the current accusations will get cleared up in a couple weeks.

The problem is if the attorney has nefarious intentions then he'll just keep bringing out my accusers.

There is nothing in Watson's history that jives with this story.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:08 pm 

jammer wrote:
jgod1 wrote:

Miami wouldn't want to fall that far back unless they got a stud player as part of the deal (which is possible I guess). Chicago would have to do what Philly did for Wentz - trade from 20 into the top 10, then deal that pick and mortgage the future to get up to 3. That is a lot of draft capital.

Kalil Mack, Allen Robinson and #20 for #3. Who says no?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:20 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

k-dash wrote:
Kalil Mack, Allen Robinson and #20 for #3. Who says no?

The salary cap.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:22 pm 

Don't bother me with details like that Rich! I was having a moment. Besides, look at Tampa. Salary cap didn't stop them from signing everyone they wanted to and it sure looked like that would be impossible.

There are ways to accomplish what you want with the cap (though it usually bites you in the long run).

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]