All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:21 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I wonder if agents are going to balk at these "1 year" contracts that teams are wanting now.

Dave Hyde (Sun Sentinel) wrote:
The Dolphins want to sign players to the kind of contract they did Kyle Van Noy. It was announced as four years and $51 million. But it was written as a series of one-year contracts that allowed the Dolphins an ability to end it at any year. They decided Van Noy wasn’t worth the $12.5 million he’d cost this year and cut him. Players and agents beware, right? The question is if this squeeze of the salary cap (down 8 percent to $182.5 million) and offseason glut of players will lead to more one-year contracts. It’s not like it’s just the Dolphins who want to do it. Tampa Bay signed every player but Tom Brady last year to one-year deals. This offseason it could be beneficial to players to re-set their value into an increased salary cap next off-season, too.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dav ... story.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:12 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
I wonder if agents are going to balk at these "1 year" contracts that teams are wanting now.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dav ... story.html

Corey Linsley just signed a five-year deal with the Chargers. This probably means we will resign Karras. Bummer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:34 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

5 years @ $62.5M. Not bad scratch for a C!

The good news....he was a 5th Round pick who started as a rookie and developed into what he is today.

It is possible.

Quin Meinerz, Trey Hill, etc., here we come.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:30 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Miami is really impressing me so far. I like the moves and I like their process. They aren't playing make believe with player evaluation or contracts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:37 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I'm wondering about the possibility of a 1-year somewhat pricey prove-it deal for Dupree coming off an injury.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:58 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Add Fitzpatrick to the list, signing a one year deal with Washington for $10 million.
I hope he has an awesome year -- great respect for that man.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:36 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jgod1 wrote:
I'm wondering about the possibility of a 1-year somewhat pricey prove-it deal for Dupree coming off an injury.

I think he signed with the Titans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:18 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I bet David Andrews is a Dolphin either today or tomorrow. If he chases money elsewhere maybe they bring back Ted Karras but with the ability to cut him if he underwhelms, similar to the Van Noy contract structure.

I'm still not buying the Golladay stuff. Curtis Samuel or Marvin Jones on much smaller deals make more sense.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Miami trade off some very cheap vets (think Albert Wilson) for throwaway draft picks (think conditional 7th rounders) to cash strapped teams who need cheap contracts and veteran talent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:35 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

jammer wrote:
I bet David Andrews is a Dolphin either today or tomorrow. If he chases money elsewhere maybe they bring back Ted Karras but with the ability to cut him if he underwhelms, similar to the Van Noy contract structure.

I'm still not buying the Golladay stuff. Curtis Samuel or Marvin Jones on much smaller deals make more sense.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Miami trade off some very cheap vets (think Albert Wilson) for throwaway draft picks (think conditional 7th rounders) to cash strapped teams who need cheap contracts and veteran talent.

I hope you are right about Andrews. He would be an excellent veteran leader and he is actually a couple of years younger than Linsley, so I wouldn't be two concerned about his ability to play out a four or five year contract.

I'd like to see Samuel in Miami -- he is a talented guy and has the versatility that Flores covets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:27 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

One thing free agency should be teaching us right now is not to fall in love with draft prospects and expect top end results from all of them.

I cannot believe the names I am seeing sign middling deals. These are guys a few years ago you read about being great picks in late Round 1 or early Day 2.

Sidney Jones, Taco Charlton, Chidobe Owuzie, Maliek Collins, Jarrad Davis, etc.

Of course we already know our own guys like Charles Harris, Raekwon McMillan, Josh Rosen, etc. who were highly touted and never lived up to the hype.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:57 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

More bites at the apple. That's what every team needs going into the draft, and what the Dolphins have.

I think this draft will produce more 1st and 2nd Round busts than any other draft in memory. Weird year. Some didn't play. Most didn't develop they way they should have. It's a real crap shoot come April 29.

If a DE prospect like Chase Young or Myles Garrett were available at #3, I'd say take him and don't look back. But, even risking not getting any of the Chase, Smith, Waddle troika, and even Pitts, I say trade back in the 1st, pick up an extra Day 2 pick and a 2022 1st Rounder.

Keep rolling that extra 1st Rounder over until you KNOW that Tua is the guy, or not.

More bites at the apple. Most draft picks don't work out. Get as many as you can.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:00 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

On another note, the rumor is that Miami needs $14M for its current draft picks. So, they really only had around $19M in cap room.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:05 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

They'll also need $ for IR and such (to replace injured players.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:20 am 

jgod1 wrote:
On another note, the rumor is that Miami needs $14M for its current draft picks. So, they really only had around $19M in cap room.

I think the cap hit will not be that full number due to the nfl only counting the top 51 players contracts against the cap. The real cap hit will probably be around half that or a bit more or less i think.

https://overthecap.com/the-cap-space-re ... aft-picks/

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]