View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Jason Allen Pick 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Jason Allen Pick
The pick where he falls back into the endzone. I thought that when a defenders momentum took him into the endzone it was considered a touchback. If so, that was a terrible call by the ref.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Jason Allen Pick
I thought so too

Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:12 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Not only did it happen in this game, but it also happened in the Auburn vs. Clemson game this last week. The ruling (in college anyway) was that both of the players feet landed outside of the endzone, the momentum rule, again what was told to me, is that that if only one of their feet is out of the endzone and one is in... and they fall back into it, it's a touchback. So if you pick the ball off, both feet land outside the endzone and you fall back into it, you get it at the 1 yard line, 1/2 yard line whatever. If you land with one foot in the endzone, one foot out, and fall back into it, it's a touchback.

I can't confirm this solid, maybe someone can look up the rule and clear the air, but it's what was told to me when I questioned the play watching the Auburn vs. Clemson game. I don't have the replay of the Jason Allen pick either to tell if he had both feet outside the endzone, or one in one out.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:00 am

Allen caught the ball at the one but his momentum along with help from the defender landed him in the endzone. My thoughts were that if a player makes a pick in the field of play and his momentum carries him in the endzone, its a touchback. How many times have you seen this happen and the guy falls in the endzone.

Okay...just read this.
Quote:
(a) Player intercepts a pass with both feet inbounds in the field of play and his momentum carries him into his own end zone. Ball is put in play at spot of interception.

So the call was correct. Kudos to the refs they got a tough one right.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:09 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Yeah, it happened in the Pats game as well and they talked about the rule....

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]