View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Dolphins Bills Report Card 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Dolphins Bills Report Card
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 3220.story

Quote:
RUN OFFENSE: B-minus

Early in the game, Ronnie Brown again looked like an elite back, showing vision and determination on several runs, including a 10-yarder that required him to bounce outside and hurdle tacklers. Ricky Williams got most of the carries late, but they couldn't kill the clock. Overall, decent work, if not yet up to 2009 standards.

PASS OFFENSE: C

No tragic mistakes, but too many drops. Chad Henne still locks too long on a single target, struggling to find secondary reads down the field. High points? Several critical connections with Davone Bess, a perfect back-shoulder touch toss to Anthony Fasano and a taste of Brandon Marshall's ability to make something from nothing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Text alerts: Get Breaking Sports news on your phone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RUN DEFENSE: A

The Bills' running backs are supposed to be the strength of their offense, starting with rookie C.J. Spiller, but the Dolphins bottled him up from the beginning. Buffalo's backs got only 15 carries, and averaged just 2.5 yards. The tackling? Terrific. Karlos Dansby may be as good as he thinks he is.

PASS DEFENSE: A

In the first half, Trent Edwards netted just 21 yards. He padded his statistics with some no-huddle work against soft coverage in the second half but, other than the miscommunication that led to a 31-yard touchdown, the Dolphins were pretty much perfect. Jason Allen and Chris Clemons fared well.

SPECIAL TEAMS: B

The return game didn't look much better with newly-signed Clifton Smith than it has with his predecessors. And Dan Carpenter, while making two field goals, missed a 43-yard attempt. The decisive play, however, came when Jason Allen downed Brandon Fields' punt inside the 1.

Special teams a B? What game did he watch. A missed 40yd FG, several punts that gave the Jets possession at midfield. Blocking on returns was pathetic. Tackling on returns was marginal at best.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:15 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Dolphins Bills Report Card
NFLJunkie wrote:
Special teams a B? What game did he watch. A missed 40yd FG, several punts that gave the Jets possession at midfield. Blocking on returns was pathetic. Tackling on returns was marginal at best.

Dang, I guess that punt to the 1 yard line must have boosted his grade up from a C-.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:46 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:

And by jets, you mean bills? Both are equally bad, so it's understandable.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:59 am

Bills - Jets..haha.

Dave,
Yes there was redemption on the punt but not to boost the grade to a B. That was truly a great punt when it was absolutely needed but the kickoff OB, the poor punts, the horrible blocking on returns and allow decent returns by the Bills....I'd have to give the unit a D overall.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:13 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Bills - Jets..haha.

Dave,
Yes there was redemption on the punt but not to boost the grade to a B. That was truly a great punt when it was absolutely needed but the kickoff OB, the poor punts, the horrible blocking on returns and allow decent returns by the Bills....I'd have to give the unit a D overall.

Not to mention Patrick Cobbs' inexplicable attempt at returning a kick that was clearly going out of bounds. I don't mean to rehash anything, but this is what I mean when I talk about players like Wes Welker...they give you so much hidden yardage. Welker puts his foot out of bounds and touches the ball to take to the 40, Cobbs catches it while tip toeing the sideline.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:36 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Not to mention Patrick Cobbs' inexplicable attempt at returning a kick that was clearly going out of bounds.

I was screaming at that play! These guys have to be more mentally alert out there. A positive in all this is that we left a lot of plays on the field. The Cobbs play would have gotten us to the 40, Henne to Marshall should have been a TD, and we should have had 2 picks for 6. The missed plays would have matched our stats and we should have blown out the Bills. Hopefully, the players will improve, they have too....

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:59 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Bills - Jets..haha.

Dave,

We are forgetting at least 1 blast of a kickoff through the endzone.

ST was average at best, with good plays being canceled out by bad.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Makchell wrote:
Not to mention Patrick Cobbs' inexplicable attempt at returning a kick that was clearly going out of bounds.

I was screaming at that play! These guys have to be more mentally alert out there. A positive in all this is that we left a lot of plays on the field. The Cobbs play would have gotten us to the 40, Henne to Marshall should have been a TD, and we should have had 2 picks for 6. The missed plays would have matched our stats and we should have blown out the Bills. Hopefully, the players will improve, they have too....

Yes, there were a lot of things left out there on the field...which is why I claimed elsewhere that Miami did not play well, despite winning. They can't play like that and expect to beat anyone that is good. The difference in football is inches...remember 1-15 when we'd sit down and rehash how if this play had gone that way we would have won?
That's the difference.
Hopefully this week against the Vikings they take a step towards making those plays, and not beating themselves with mental errors. Win or lose, if Miami plays as they are capable of playing, I can be happy.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yep....special teams was a mixed bag. I remember one kickoff going out of the end zone and another going deep in the end zone for a touchback. However, then you have the kickoff out of bounds and a missed field goal to balance that out. Fields had some pathetic punts, but he saved the perfect one for last....and it was the decisive play in the game. I also agree that Cobbs fielding that kick that seemed to be going out of bounds was truly irritating to watch.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]