View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Beating Minnesota... 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Beating Minnesota...
Not a pretty win at Buffalo. But winning on the road isn't easy in the NFL, and beating a division rival on the road is even more difficult.

That said, let's start talking about next week.
After watching the Vikings play New Orleans the other night and from following them this offseason, here's what we need to do:

1) Tackle
Adrian Peterson will eat you alive if you let him break tackles. Too often the other night, the Saints went for the fumble instead of the tackle. That resulted in cheap yards and a few first downs that may have otherwise been prevented.

2) Work the ball down the field
The Vikings don't have anyone capable of covering Brandon Marshall down the field. Antoine Winfield is one of the league's best corners in run support, but has clearly lost a step in pass coverage. Last week, the Vikings dressed only three cornerbacks and I don't think the Saints did a good job of taking advantage of that. With Cedric Griffin and Chris Cook injured, Chad Henne needs to take advantage of the Vikings' thin secondary.

3) Utilize Fasano
Chad Greenway is the man primarily in charge of covering tight ends, and he's average at best. Henne needs to get the ball to Fasano early and often to open things up near the line of scrimmage.

4) Get to Favre
Brett Favre was clearly rusty Thursday in New Orleans. For the most part, he had time to throw. Without his favorite target Sidney Rice, getting pressure on Favre will force him to make throws to players (Percy Harvin and Bernard Berrian) with wich he has little chemistry.

5) Big day from Dansby, Bobby Carpenter
Karlos Dansby was a man today and will need to be great again next week. If Bobby Carpenter is really the replacement for A.J. Edds in pass coverage, he will need to be good too. These two will be in charge of limiting the effectiveness of Visanthe Shiancoe, Favre's new favorite target with Rice on the shelf.

These are just my initial thoughts... This game doesn't scare me as much as it did a week ago, but winning in the Metrodome is never easy. Including playoffs, Minnesota was 9-0 there last season.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:02 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Post Re: Beating Minnesota...
Favre's selfishness cost his team the game against the Saints. They were there to be beaten, but he was too rusty/not on the same page as his WRs to take advantage of it.

Minnesota will be better in the passing game this week, and our D's weakness is defending the pass. I dunno, its going to be tough.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:11 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Great analysis. I agree on all fronts. I would add that Chris Clemons needs to come up big once again. The Vikings have a lot of speed with Berrian and Harvin on the outside, and Shianco at TE. Favre will take shots...Clemons, and the CB's obviously, need to have big days. Nolan did a great job of disguising his coverage and blitzes today, but next week I would like to see more sell out blitzes and press coverage. I think we match-up well against the Vikings if we do that, and I think we could rattle Favre which will be the key.

Offensively, attack their piss-poor secondary. That is by far the weakest unit on their team, so Henne needs to go to Marshall as much as possible.

It's a winnable game, but it will be an incredibly tough one. A win would be HUGE though.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Another thing to keep an eye on this week is Harvin. His migraine issues could flare up at any time, and if they do, the Vikings will have yet another weapon down.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Harvin is attributing his migraines to sleep apnea. If he is treating his apnea, the migraines shouldn't be a problem (assuming that is the cause). I don't like counting on players being hurt; better plan on him suiting up and playing.

Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:57 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Nolan did a brilliant job of setting the tone early with a couple of well disguised blitzes. He had Edwards clock ticking. Then he faked a blitz about 5-6 times the rest of the game only seriously sending some folks on a couple of occasions. It had Edwards off Balance. The Saints did the same thing to Favre on Thursday. They blitzed him early and then dropped guys into coverage. Did anyone see Lankford go out on a CB in one scenario...man that was gutsy

Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:13 pm

survive the first quarter & then we win going away.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:51 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Take Favre OUT.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:17 am
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Yeap...if Miami can give Favre happy feet he'll start chucking up some gifts. Stop the beast on the ground and harass Favre. On offense they have 3 safeties playing in the nickle package. They played well last week against NO bigger WRs. I'd love to seen Bess featured in the next game.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:01 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Word on the street up here in MN is that the Queens are going to give workouts to a few receivers looking for jobs. A lot of urgency to get a receiver up here to make big plays, which is telling that either they don't trust the group they have now, or there are some deeper issues.

Put Favre on edge early and he will throw lots of picks. However, our DB's and safeties need to actually catch those picks!

Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]