All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:12 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

If you've been around you know that Bill Polian gives excellent player analysis as he was a successful GM and team builder through the years.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
“What worries you a little bit is that injury coupled with the high ankle sprain from the year before before that had to be surgically repaired. You worry is he a little bit injury prone? If I were drafting in the top five, it would keep me awake a little bit. But then I would watch the film and say, ‘I’m taking him.’

Polian said: “Tua jumps off the film at you. He’s a quick-twitch athlete playing quarterback. That’s rare. That’s Russell Wilson territory. He’s built to some degree like Russell. A little on the short side and wide side. He’s got remarkable release, just incredible, ball is out of there and it’s spinning and it’s accurate and it’s got juice on it.

“He can throw it through a wall if he has to. He has got great touch, great accuracy. Has got tremendous quickness in his feet. When your feet and lower body are out of sync with your arm, you get inaccuracy and interceptions. Tua’s feet are like that of a tap dancer. His feet are incredibly quick. He can change direction quickly. He sees things exceptionally well and the ball comes out, ‘Whoosh.’ It’s out. Quickness of release, accuracy and processing are common to all great quarterbacks and he has all three.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

And I actually want to share this with you all as other GMs are balking at drafting Tua or trading up for Burrow.

Dave Hyde (Sun Sentinel) wrote:
But three former NFL general managers once charged with measuring talent, running drafts, building rosters and weighing risks like Dolphins general manager Chris Grier listened to the heavyweight questions of this team’s draft outlook and suggested no sure way out.

Should the Dolphins draft Tua Tagovailoa with the fifth pick in the NFL draft? The three former GMs said they wouldn’t due to his fragile health — though one gave a qualifier.

Would you trade three first-round picks for Cincinnati’s No. 1 pick to land Joe Burrow? The same three said they wouldn’t — though, again, one provided a similar qualifier.

What’s the answer at quarterback for the Dolphins? No consensus, again.

“Those are kind of scary propositions — both of them,” one said of drafting Tagovailoa or trading for Burrow.

The health risk is the primary reason the two other former GMs have a stay-away sign attached to Tagovailoa at the fifth pick. It’s not just the surgically repaired hip he’s recovering from now. It’s the constant injuries throughout his career.

“Tua’s health/size scares me,” one texted. "I don’t see the Steve Young-like comparisons. I think he’s going to struggle to stay healthy.”

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:52 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Have to wonder if Polian is being overly generous for all of the blow back he received in his analysis of Lamar Jackson. Its almost as if these guys are afraid to criticize players.

Ask yourselves this question. Is maybe two years of Pro Bowl play worth 7 or 8 years of half seasons or reduced capabilities due to constant lower body injuries?

We're less than a month away from the draft and I'm going back to what I said months ago. I think Miami's best course is to let other teams overdraft Tua and Herbert, trade back a bit and grab Love. Or, take the BPA at 5 and trade up from 18 to ensure Love. He has a lot of processing and vision issues to work out but he has a great arm, a fast release, he's a bit twitchy and to my knowledge no injury history. I don't know of any maturity issues.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
We're less than a month away from the draft and I'm going back to what I said months ago. I think Miami's best course is to let other teams overdraft Tua and Herbert, trade back a bit and grab Love. Or, take the BPA at 5 and trade up from 18 to ensure Love. He has a lot of processing and vision issues to work out but he has a great arm, a fast release, he's a bit twitchy and to my knowledge no injury history. I don't know of any maturity issues.

I'm excited about our options in the draft. We have many different routes to go, and any should improve this team. I stick with draft Tua at 5 if he is available and not trading up for him. If someone leapfrogs us for him, the NFL analysts will criticize us (as always), but grabbing Herbert is a good option as well as I view Herbert as a better QB than Tannehill (which we made the overall #8 pick in the draft). The risk is too great to trade extra picks to get Tua due to his injury issues. And, trading down grabbing an extra player along with QB Jordan Love works for me as well. My only complaint would be whiffing on any of these 3 QBs and not coming out of this draft with a franchise QB to work with.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]