Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Not much cap space left.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:27 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
After the Dolphins contracts were officially filed with the league there were some changes, with Miami instead opting to use first year roster bonuses rather than large signing bonuses. That elevated those players’ first-year cap hits but helps Miami with regard to 2021 and 2022 hits, and beyond in the case of Jones and Van Noy.

The correct figure is $24.6 million.

The Dolphins need about $16 million to sign its NFL Draft class (if Miami makes all 14 picks) and another $2 million or so to fill out a practice squad. So that would leave Miami with only about $7 million in cap space as a safeguard to add a relatively cheap free agent after the draft or fill a need with a value free agent if there’s an injury in training camp. ...

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 49341.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:37 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AQNOR wrote:
Quote:
After the Dolphins contracts were officially filed with the league there were some changes, with Miami instead opting to use first year roster bonuses rather than large signing bonuses. That elevated those players’ first-year cap hits but helps Miami with regard to 2021 and 2022 hits, and beyond in the case of Jones and Van Noy.

The correct figure is $24.6 million.

The Dolphins need about $16 million to sign its NFL Draft class (if Miami makes all 14 picks) and another $2 million or so to fill out a practice squad. So that would leave Miami with only about $7 million in cap space as a safeguard to add a relatively cheap free agent after the draft or fill a need with a value free agent if there’s an injury in training camp. ...

Wow, that $100 million went fast!

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 49341.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:15 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

9.5 million they can get by cutting Wilson.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:03 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Dolphins used this year's cap space to make more cap room for the upcoming years. I don't find a problem with this, and I think they still need to hit on some positions that they targeted in free agency for the future such as OL, CB, DE, and RB with all the picks they do have in this year's draft.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
After additional contract structuring and adjustments, the Dolphins’ cap space has dropped to $24.6 million, according to figures obtained by the NFL players union and confirmed by The Miami Herald.

During the weekend, spotrac reported Dolphins cap space at $37 million, overthecap.com reported the Dolphins’ cap space at $36 million, and the Herald reported cap space at $32 million based on numbers specified on initial submission of contracts made available to NFL agents.

But since then, overthecap has added about $4 million in 2020 cap charges for Byron Jones, Kyle Van Noy and Ereck Flowers that did not appear in their initial contracts.

Here’s why, per OTC’s excellent Jason Fitzgerald and the good folks at overthecap: After the Dolphins contracts were officially filed with the league there were some changes, with Miami instead opting to use first year roster bonuses rather than large signing bonuses. That elevated those players’ first-year cap hits but helps Miami with regard to 2021 and 2022 hits, and beyond in the case of Jones and Van Noy.

The Dolphins, believing they didn’t need the extra cap space in 2020, apparently changed the payment mechanisms from only a signing bonus to a combination of a small signing bonus with a larger roster bonus in 2020, thus taking on a greater hit in 2020 but a lesser one in future years.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:21 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
The Dolphins need about $16 million to sign its NFL Draft class (if Miami makes all 14 picks)

Not a chance. If they don’t wheel & deal the hell out of this draft, or at least aggressively try, they aren’t playing it right.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:55 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

This is good news. We were able to jump into free agency heavily without relying too much on future cap space.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:17 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
.....they aren’t playing it right.

But that’s who they are, the Keystone Cops, Laurel and Hardy and Three Stooges all rolled into one chaotically mis-managed front office.

Nothing they’ve done with purpose has worked out. And no need to go back over decades of mistakes because Just within the last 12 months they threw away a 2nd rounder for Rosen, let a first year, zero credentials coach Flores run the show totally opposite to the direction the FO had established, in the process wasting away the very makable no. 1 objective of being able to call any shot they wanted at QB in the 2020 draft.

And seriously, is there any reason to think they can upgrade through the draft over Minkah, Tunsil and Drake? Remember, we were fed the justification that those players would become too expensive to retain by the time the team was ready to compete. OK, so what do they do? They go out and blow a year’s cap in acquiring a bunch players that will.....

..... become too expensive to retain by the time the team is ready to compete.

Don’t you just love it!? We need a John McKay to show up and publicly endorse their execution. I know I’m in favor of it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:57 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
We need a John McKay to show up and publicly endorse their execution.

LOL! For you young folks on the forum.

Funny John McKay Quotes
When asked about his team's execution: “I'm in favor of it.” We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking. Intensity is a lot of guys that run fast. ... If you have everyone back from a team that lost ten games, the experience isn't too important.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:45 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

The free agents from NE were not the smartest moves.
Jones was very expensive. Wish he had some INTs.
Like the Lawson signing.
Howard and Flowers are head scratchers.
I still get the feeling we are playing checkers and Belichick is playing chess. Grier and Flores seem overmatched.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:07 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

FINesse wrote:
The free agents from NE were not the smartest moves.
Like the Lawson signing.
Howard and Flowers are head scratchers.
I still get the feeling we are playing checkers and Belichick is playing chess. Grier and Flores seem overmatched.

I was thinking the same thing when the Phins with a gutted roster beat the Patsies at home keeping them from a first round bye.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:24 am 

Nah. We always split with them and they usually lose down here. But that statement is not measured game to game but year to year. We will see. I just dont think being NE of the south is the way to go. But I will be pulling for it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:38 am 

FINesse wrote:

Shutdown corners generally do not get many INTs by the time they are considered shutdown corners.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:50 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Byron Jones IMO seems overpaid IMO too.
I hope we will draft 1or2 CB with our second and third round pick because the CB pool seems deep this year and we must take advantage of that

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

So much negativity, jeeze y'all depressing as...well you know, WOW.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:11 pm 

If I loved the moves I would once again be that homer. I guess im at a point where it needs to be proven to me. I just dont think taking on an identity of another team works.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]