All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:11 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It's hard to say that anyone is worth that kind of money when you can go into the draft and try to replace them; however, getting the right corners in a man-to-man defense is of utmost importance to Brian Flores' defensive scheme. And, let's not forget that Byron Jones can slide over and WILLINGLY play multiple positions on the defense which is important as well.

Pro Football Focus wrote:
CB – Byron Jones, Miami Dolphins
Contract: Five-years, $82.5 million ($57 million guaranteed)

Was it worth it? Byron Jones was good but not an elite safety in the NFL during the first three seasons of his career from 2015 to 2017. He then moved to the outside in 2018 and has been the NFL’s second-most-valuable cornerback behind only Stephon Gilmore. Brian Flores lives and dies by man-to-man coverage — a philosophy taken from his previous coaching staff in New England with Bill Belichick. Miami’s man coverage usage rate is actually among the three highest in the NFL, and they got themselves arguably the best press-man corner in the league in Byron Jones.

Jones has played more coverage snaps in press-man coverage than anyone else and posted the third-best coverage grade on such reps the last two seasons. Among outside cornerbacks to line up in press at least 250 times since 2018, Jones ranks second in yards per coverage snap. He’ll receive nearly $10 million more guaranteed than any other cornerback in the NFL, and considering the positional value as well as how great of a player he has been, Byron Jones is fully worth it.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-analyzing- ... t-worth-it

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I love the attitude and leadership that the new players are bringing to the Dolphins.

Armando Salguero (Miami Herald) wrote:
“What really brought me to Miami was the idea of joining a young team and being a leader on that team and kind of being a catalyst for cultural change and helping this team win,” (Byron) Jones said.

“I wanted to be a part of the building of something special and more than anything, just being that guy — a guy that people look up to in the locker room to lead them in the right direction, really.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]