All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:15 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The front office. Good teams build from the top down. Has Stephen Ross finally got it right in Miami?

Dave Hyde (Sun Sentinel) wrote:
8. Why do some teams contend every year? Look at the bargain Baltimore made already this offseason. It traded a fifth-round draft pick — which it received by trading a kicker it didn’t need, Kaare Vedvik — for Jacksonville defensive lineman Calais Campbell. Suddenly, Baltimore’s good defense gets the top-rated, 3-4 defensive end (via ProFootballFocus). It gets a rock of a character in the locker room, too. And Jacksonville? Well …

9. The Jaguars prove again why some teams don’t contend? Three years ago it was in the AFC Championship Game against New England with a great, young defense and some good offensive pieces. Now it’s a disaster. Campbell isn’t the reason for that. He’s just the latest example of the team in the dumpings of cornerback A.J. Bouye for a fourth-round pick and Jalen Ramsey for two first rounders and a fourth-round pick. At least they got quality for Ramsey. But that’s three defensive stars out the door. You only have a quick window to win when you misplay the quarterback position. And Jacksonville missed on Blake Bortles and Nick Foles.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dav ... story.html

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:19 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Management and Leadership matter. Always have, always will.

Without it, your organization is nothing more than a rudderless boat moving in circles out on the pond.

With it, a steady hand on the tiller can guide you in the right direction.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:06 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Teams that contend every year, also have a great QB.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:29 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Ravens are in a window right now where they hit on a young QB and can benefit from his rookie contract to make other moves. Same with KC. Once those guys are nearing the end of their rookie deals, they will get signed to mammoth contracts and acquiring talent to field well-rounded teams will be a lot more challenging. It happened to the Ravens once they gave Flacco a huge contract and he wasn't even elite. But it's always a huge help to find that young QB.

The Patriots were able to sort of circumvent this challenge because Brady always gave the team discounts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:37 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
The Ravens are in a window right now where they hit on a young QB and can benefit from his rookie contract to make other moves. Same with KC. Once those guys are nearing the end of their rookie deals, they will get signed to mammoth contracts and acquiring talent to field well-rounded teams will be a lot more challenging. It happened to the Ravens once they gave Flacco a huge contract and he wasn't even elite. But it's always a huge help to find that young QB.

The Patriots were able to sort of circumvent this challenge because Brady always gave the team discounts.

Nothing tells me that Jackson’s unconventional style of play won’t eventually turn into a tired, useless gimmick rendered obsolete by years of film & more educated preparation to play against him by rival DCs.

I haven’t seen a ton of his play, but am I wrong?

Is Jackson’s play style too impressive & uniquely dominant to simply maintain like has happened with RG 3? It’s hard for me to see him playing at the top of the league for a consistent amount of years. There’s never been a precedent.

At least when they unloaded their bankroll on Flacco, to the eventual detriment of the overall roster, they were putting their chips on a traditional pocket passer. I don’t know what the hell happened to Flacco.

Lamar went to Boynton High, I know a lot of people who went there. I’m not rooting against him, I just don’t buy into his long term hype like many do.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:48 pm 

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Nothing tells me that Jackson’s unconventional style of play won’t eventually turn into a tired, useless gimmick rendered obsolete by years of film & more educated preparation to play against him by rival DCs.

There is validity to this. The Titans went zone/contain heavy and made Jackson have to read defenses and he was not himself. Jackson benefits greatly from teams playing man. All those in coverage have their backs turned to a QB who can take off and run fast. But when you keep him in the pocket and make him go thru progressions, he isn't as effective.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:49 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

There is validity to this. The Titans went zone/contain heavy and made Jackson have to read defenses and he was not himself. Jackson benefits greatly from teams playing man. All those in coverage have their backs turned to a QB who can take off and run fast. But when you keep him in the pocket and make him go thru progressions, he isn't as effective.

That's interesting, Rich. I didn't see the game, but the Titans definitely surprised the Ravens that day.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]