All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:26 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

True, but none of these CBs that were converted to safety can hold Reshad Jones and Minkah Fitzpatrick's jocks. Rowe actually looks like he salvaged his roster spot with the Dolphins with the switch. He did an excellent job covering tight ends ... probably better than anyone besides Fitzpatrick.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
▪ It’s not a coincidence that the Dolphins moved three cornerbacks to safety this past season: Bobby McCain, Eric Rowe and Montre Hartage.

In a pass heavy league, the Dolphins see clear advantages to playing experienced corners at safety. “It’s a big advantage schematic wise to have two safeties [with corner experience], as long as we tackle,” Rowe said. “We’ve been getting better against the run.”

Said Hartage: “The ability to run and cover and come off the edge, that’s huge at safety. And safeties play a lot of man to man coverage.”

Rowe has been studying Patriots safety Patrick Chung (“my role is similar to Patrick’s”) and Dallas’ Jeff Heath and said he won’t bulk up to play a full season of safety. “I don’t want to be too heavy where I can’t cover athletic tight ends,” Rowe said.

Rowe said “it’s still harder to cover wide receivers than tight ends. They have have more routes in their route tree. Things are moving fast down there.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:18 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I would say that moving Rowe to safety has been a real success story. Previously at CB, I couldn't wait for his replacement in the draft.

Travis Wingfield (Locked on Dolphins) wrote:
Eric Rowe
Stats: 81 tackles, 1 INT, 8 PBU, 23 run stops
PFF Grade: 58.9 (125 of 175)
Snaps: 1,071 (95.8%)

The Dolphins were forced to wave goodbye to one of their youngest, most promising players because of the necessity for versatility when the injury bug struck the secondary. Rather than helping the team, Minkah Fitzpatrick asked out of town. Eric Rowe did the opposite.

Stepping in as the primary box safety — responsible for supporting both strong and weak-side C-gaps in the run game, covering tight ends, and playing the hook and flats — Rowe found a career resurrection. He struggled early at corner, but blanked tight ends on a weekly basis.

In four games as a corner, Rowe allowed 14 receptions on 20 targets for 193 yards and two touchdowns. In his new role, Rowe allowed 24 receptions on 45 targets for 227 yards and no scores. That’s a 16.7% reduction in completion rate and a drop in YPA of 4.61 yards.

https://www.lockedondolphins.com/dolphi ... -safeties/

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]