View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
 jake grove cut!!!!!!!!! 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post jake grove cut!!!!!!!!!
Jeff_Darlington

Center Jake Grove, who signed last year for four years and $29.5 million, has been cut! His contract was terminated today.

OmarKelly

Cory Procter has been re-signed, taking the place of Jake Grove, who has been plagued by injuries since arriving last season.

Jeff_Darlington

C Jake Grove's deal included $14.5 mill. He started 10 games total in Miami. Joe Berger, meanwhile, is scheduled to make $700 K this year.

Last edited by moley on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:01 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: jake grove cut!!!!!!!!!
Too bad he couldnt stay healthy, the guy was a real mauler on the line...

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:07 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

10acjed wrote:
Too bad he couldnt stay healthy, the guy was a real mauler on the line...

Totally agree. While he had injury issues before he came to Miami, they seem to have gotten progressively worst. Disappointing.

Quote:
The Miami Dolphins signed guard Cory Procter and terminated the contract of center Jake Grove.

Procter originally signed with Miami as an unrestricted free agent from the Dallas Cowboys on May 24, 2010 before being released by the Dolphins on September 5, 2010. A sixth-year veteran from Montana, Procter saw action in 12 games in 2009 with the Cowboys and has played in 44 career games with 13 starts.

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/dolph ... jake-grove

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

the least grows of big ish FA ireland and co have signed and have been released or traded

Wilford, C. Anderson, Grove, Smiley)
G,Wilson, Eric Green, Reggie Torbor josh mcCown

Last edited by moley on Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:15 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

You hate to see it, but I would rather the Dolphins end the investment than try to hold on and hope Grove would stay healthy.

Cut the dead weight now while there is no cap in place.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

moley wrote:
the least grows of big ish FA ireland and co have signed and have been released or traded

Wilford, C. Anderson, Grove, Smiley)
G,Wilson, Eric Green, Reggie Torbor

Smiley unfortunately had some leg issues, and Charlie Anderson was more of a stop gap, as well as Torbor. Green, Wilson, Wilford, and Grove ended up just being dumb signings.

I think we all knew Grove was out the door when Berger was given the nod for Week 1.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:27 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Another expensive mistake: Dolphins cut $14m center Jake Grove
by Ben Volin
Grove

Grove

The Dolphins have proved this season that they aren’t afraid to cut expensive under-achievers when they discarded two of last year’s top draft picks, Pat White ($2.4 million guaranteed) and Patrick Turner ($1.1 million).

Thursday, they Dolphins proved it again, when they terminated the contract of veteran center Jake Grove, whom the team gave a five-year, $30 million contract with $14 million guaranteed just last year. By cutting him now, the Dolphins avoid paying him $13 million in base salary over the next four seasons, according to NFLPA records.

Grove, entering his seventh season out of Virginia Tech, has played in 16 games just once in his career, and couldn’t stay healthy for the Dolphins. Last year, his first and only season in Miami, Grove missed four games with an ankle injury. This training camp, he missed time with a knee injury and has been limited the past two weeks with a shoulder injury.

The Dolphins replaced Grove on the roster with a familiar face — versatile backup lineman Cory Procter, who had signed with the team in May and was waived last weekend. Fifth-year center Joe Berger will now likely be the starter, while Procter can serve as a backup at center or guard. Both played for Tony Sparano in Dallas when Bill Parcells was the head coach. Berger is set to make $700,000 this season.

Grove, a 2004 second-round pick for Oakland, is yet another expensive mistake for Dolphins football bosses. They also took a loss on free agents Ernest Wilford ($6 million), Gibril Wilson ($8 million) and Josh McCown ($2.5 million).

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... ake-grove/

Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:29 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

who`s next for the chop ??

if injurys are a concern you have to put channing crowder top of the list
or chad pennington

philip merling ur have to consider for his poor onfield play and offield mishaps

any others???

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:32 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Pennington is not here to play, I think he may actually be # 3 on the depth chart. And quite frankly I would take my chances with a injury prone Pennington in this system over anyone else...

As far as Crowder, I have been wondering myself. I think they may keep him and try and trade him, he isnot a high dollar guy like the others...

Signing injury prone players has always been a concern of mine.

But these guys have overhauled this roster since 2007, the idea that they would strike gold with every player is nuts...

Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:51 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Ever get the feeling that free agency is overrated? My theory is if a guy is that great, why let him go? Now there are exceptions like Dansby, right? LOL!

Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:09 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Have to say. These guys are great at handing out large money deals to average players then finding out they are average players & cutting them.

How much for Wilford & Grove?

Factor in White & Turner & these guys are doing wonderful at player evaluation.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:39 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Randy Starks has been a very good FA signing along with Pennington. Devon Bess was an undrafted free agent signing.

But for sure right now, Miami has missed on more than they have got right.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:40 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Have to say. These guys are great at handing out large money deals to average players then finding out they are average players & cutting them.

How much for Wilford & Grove?

Factor in White & Turner & these guys are doing wonderful at player evaluation.

Man, when they miss, they miss. Grove is a superior talent at center, but did they not see that he was injured a lot before he came to Miami?

I notice that Bill Belichick has had his fair share of failures at New England with free agents.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:46 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

If we are talking about injuries, why is Ronnie Brown still here then?

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:53 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Coots wrote:
If we are talking about injuries, why is Ronnie Brown still here then?

Cause that would prove this theory wrong first off...

:hithead:

This is clearly a thread to take out your frustration of bad signings..... Dotn be trying to get positive :ann0y:

/sarcasm

:runwiththeball:

Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm sorry but the front office is really starting to look like weinies right now and if I were Stephen Ross I think I'd be getting a little pissed at these guy's right now. If its true that the Phins are a losing money franchise this is even worse and is unacceptable that these guys continue to drop the ball on these draft picks and free agent signings..When do you think the owner steps in and puts a stop to this nonsense?..

Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:24 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

To be honest, I've wondered myself why we didn't cut him yet... Obviously they see more potential in Berger and Proctor and they are a hell of a lot cheaper... Maybe they know the list of 2011 free agents and are still looking at the future... I still stand behind our front office, they may not always make the right decisions but they are definitely not afraid to take some heat and accept that they made a mistake which I think is a lot better than playing a bunch of expensive, overrated players because you can't accept the fact that you made a bad decision

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Is it the front office or Sparano? No one can tell me that Grove wouldn't have made a decent backup this season. Why cut him now? They didn't save a lot by doing that. Grove could've also played guard. Right now, the once deep and talented line is 1 deep at every position. If you ask me, that's a recipe for disaster.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:52 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I got nothing wrong with this... most of these guys were stop gaps just to field a decent team while we start our youth movement... now that the youth is stepping up (Procter resigned)... we don't need the expensive, mediocre vets anymore.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:23 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
Randy Starks has been a very good FA signing along with Pennington. Devon Bess was an undrafted free agent signing.

But for sure right now, Miami has missed on more than they have got right.

Yep. Starks, Pennington, Bess and certainly don't forget Polite.

Still to be seen are Dansby, Incognito, Wake, Johnson, and Alma-Francis.

But let's not hate on this regime for missing...let's look at what they've acquired with draft picks.

LT-Long
QB-Henne, Thigpen
RB-Hliiard
WR-Marshall, Hartline
TE-Fasano

DE-Langford, McDaniel
ILB-Dobbins

CB-Smith, Davis
S-Clemons

K-Carpenter

That's 14 guys that make your team better with 2 drafts. Marshall came with this year's draft, but point is, a major core of this team is here through draft picks.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:25 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

NFLJunkie wrote:
They didn't save a lot by doing that. Grove could've also played guard.

Coach Sparano:

Quote:
“He got beat out,” Sparano replied when asked what was behind the move. “And then upon further review, just roster flexibility. The line between Jake Grove and Cory Procter was fine, and when you look at game management it just makes more sense.”
Procter can play both guard spots and center, while Grove was strictly a center.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... st-better/

That's alot of money to pay to a guy that's gonna be on the bench....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:27 pm
Profile YIM
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
I got nothing wrong with this... most of these guys were stop gaps just to field a decent team while we start our youth movement... now that the youth is stepping up (Procter resigned)... we don't need the expensive, mediocre vets anymore.

I would hardly call 4 and 5 year contracts (Wilford,Wilson,Grove) gap fillers, I would call them bad decisions.

As far as the youth movement goes, cutting 2nd and 3rd round draft picks is not exactlly promoting the youth movement..

Don't get me wrong I still support this regime and trust their judgement but I'm just saying if I were cutting the checks I'd be expecting results for all the money I was basically throwing away..

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:

Man, when they miss, they miss. Grove is a superior talent at center, but did they not see that he was injured a lot before he came to Miami?
The best indicator of future results is past results. Injured players usually stay injured.

Big Dave wrote:

I notice that Bill Belichick has had his fair share of failures at New England with free agents.

Everyone has their misses. These guys have been missing big with large contracts in a short amount of time. At least Belichick had 10+ Yrs to total up his misses. Of course I believe most Miami fans pretty much knew Pat White was a miss when they drafted him. Not 100% surprised at Turner, since he was drafted so early. Had my hopes.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:27 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You know, draft picks more often don't pan out then they do. No biggie. If you start half, you're doing good. This is why number of picks in the draft is so important. You don't know till it happens.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:46 pm

paydurt wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

I would hardly call 4 and 5 year contracts (Wilford,Wilson,Grove) gap fillers, I would call them bad decisions.

As far as the youth movement goes, cutting 2nd and 3rd round draft picks is not exactlly promoting the youth movement..

Don't get me wrong I still support this regime and trust their judgement but I'm just saying if I were cutting the checks I'd be expecting results for all the money I was basically throwing away..

So if the line between Proctor and Grove was "fine" why release Proctor outright and why was Proctor even available. Don't forget that Grove started most of the season last year for a line that produced a lot of rushing yards. I mean, really, what was Sparano suppose to say?

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:50 pm

paydurt wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Better to do it now while there's no cap though... the team itself lost money, sure, but none of these moves will affect the cap so its better to get rid of the big contracts now rather than wait for a possible salary cap situation that they have to try and work around.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This has to be the most puzzling offseason I can ever remember. I was against the Grove signing in the first place, and especially against trading Satele (who could have filled in as an experienced/inexpensive backup last year when Grove was hurt). Still, this is a shock to me. Not saying it's a bad move from a business standpoint, but I do question the depth of an already weak offensive line.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:02 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

paydurt wrote:
if I were cutting the checks I'd be expecting results for all the money I was basically throwing away..

Once the stadium upgrades are completed, Ross will be making a profit again. He'll be fine.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:03 am

Ski_Money wrote:
You know, draft picks more often don't pan out then they do. No biggie. If you start half, you're doing good. This is why number of picks in the draft is so important. You don't know till it happens.

Most of the top teams don't start half their picks. They get to be top teams by consistently drafting good players in round 1 over a 4-6 year period.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:05 am

Rich wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

Most of the top teams don't start half their picks. They get to be top teams by consistently drafting good players in round 1 over a 4-6 year period.

We're still paying for years of when no draft pick remained on the team a couple years down the road.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]