Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:41 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The Good

Some of the young skill position talent is looking better. Mark Walton, Devante Parker and Mike Gesicki all made impressive plays. Parker may never be a #1 WR, but he's quietly putting up some stats this year.

The OL didn't embarrass themselves. A win?

I'm begrudgingly saying Ryan Fitzpatrick. I don't think he was anything special, but its the first time this year we saw a FULL GAME of mostly decent QB play.

Vince Biegel looks to be a keeper on defense.

The Bad

Untimely turnovers once again haunt Miami. Fitzpatrick's interception killed Miami's chance to get points and Preston Williams gave Buffalo a short field with his fumble.

The Ugly

Christian Wilkins letting his emotions get the best of him cost Miami some much needed help on the DL.

Miami can't seem to capitalize on opportunities. Just like coming out strong against LA, they had a chance to get a two score lead and blew it. There just isn't enough talent to get these guys over the hump.

Josh Rosen. Yup, he didn't play and we witnessed a guy on the other side take his team to a 5-1 record. Josh Allen was supposed to be bust material who couldn't read a defense and was inaccurate. He has had bad moments but his coaches put their faith in him. Rosen can't even beat out a veteran that no one else wants as a starter. It is a hard pill of reality to swallow.

I said earlier this week that a rivalry game would motivate Miami and it seemed to be true. They played much better than expected and made it at least entertaining. I officially have some faith that Brian Flores may do enough to stop Chris Grier's plot to simply draft Tua.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:28 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Gesicki stood out.

I hope he sticks around for the rebuild. He can make plays.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:49 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Gesicki stood out.

I hope he sticks around for the rebuild. He can make plays.

Yeah, I think this coaching staff has figured out how to best use him. The talent is there.

I think the same goes with Parker. He won't ever be elite, but he could become a solid 60 catch, 7 or 8 TDs per year type.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:51 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

That’s why I was content with them resigning Parker when it was unexpected.

Gesicki as you said has the talent. He was drafted 42nd overall. That’s a premium bill for a TE.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:03 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Im with you jammer regarding rosen. Im done with him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:32 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Makchell wrote:
Im with you jammer regarding rosen. Im done with him.

Rosen has definitely had some bad moments. So has Baker Mayfield this year (leading the league in turnovers) when he hasn't had time to throw. Darnold looks terrible tonight. It takes time for a QB to develop. Sometimes, their mental game gets destroyed during the developmental phase, and that could very well be happening to Rosen. We'll see how mentally tough he is, but I'd love to see him play when he has an expectation of a clean pocket.

I maintain that there are a lot of QBs who could look like franchise QBs (i.e., good enough to be contributing factor on a Super Bowl team -- guys like Flacco and Matt Ryan count as borderline cases, Trent Dilfer does not) if they have reasonable talent around them. The truly elite like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, and Brees, who can elevate and carry the entire team, are quite rare. None of us know if any of those college guys are in that class.

For this reason, I'd rather have three first round picks than the overall first pick. I don't think it is worth giving up those picks to get into the top 5 (RG3 and Darnold come to mind). Conversely, I'd trade the #1 for a #5, a #20, and an unknown first pick the next year. (I'm making these up -- I don't' know exactly what the charts say.) We have so many holes to fill. We could put 20 first day picks to use in next year's draft if we had them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:21 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Nice write up.

Liking Walton a lot. No dancing behind the line

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
For this reason, I'd rather have three first round picks than the overall first pick. I don't think it is worth giving up those picks to get into the top 5 (RG3 and Darnold come to mind). Conversely, I'd trade the #1 for a #5, a #20, and an unknown first pick the next year. (I'm making these up -- I don't' know exactly what the charts say.) We have so many holes to fill. We could put 20 first day picks to use in next year's draft if we had them.

I'm with you on this and AFCEast has been banging the table for it as well.

I pointed out previously that all of the QBs from last year have had struggles this year. Even everyone fawning over Lamar Jackson needs to recognize he stat padded for two game and has been the recipient of excellent team play around him.

We still don't know if guys like Carson Wentz and Jared Goff are true game changers or simply pretty good QBs. Rosen could fall into that latter category.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:38 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
The Good ... I'm begrudgingly saying Ryan Fitzpatrick. I don't think he was anything special, but its the first time this year we saw a FULL GAME of mostly decent QB play.

I officially have some faith that Brian Flores may do enough to stop Chris Grier's plot to simply draft Tua.

It puts "Fear the Beard" in new perspective, doesn't it? We may win more games than Cincinnati who looks horrible and you can point to coaching with that team as they should have enough talent to be winning some games.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:41 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
It puts "Fear the Beard" in new perspective, doesn't it?

Ha. I'm not sure anyone "fears the beard", but I noticed in the Redskins game how defenses want to play Fitzpatrick. They know eventually he cracks and tries for home runs, hence they drop into zone coverages and bait him into intermediate level throws. If he can contain himself and be a game manager then Miami could squeak out a few wins.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:54 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
The OL didn't embarrass themselves. A win?

I don't know how they did it, but the OL did not surrender a sack last week. I do understand that Fitzpatrick is slippery in the pocket, and that did help, but to surrender zero sacks against a good Bills defense is a little jaw-dropping. And let's not forget that we actually ran the ball better this week, too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:09 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Vince Biegel looks to be a keeper on defense.

I'll tell you what, give Grier credit for this trade from the Saints. Biegel is quickly becoming a fan favorite.

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]