View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Dolphins trend continues 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins trend continues
Quote:
September 9th, 2010 by Ethan J. Skolnick

Feed the wolf?

No, this should be the Dolphins’ slogan:

Don’t get hurt.

Here are a few names:

Matt Roth. Justin Smiley. Will Allen. Greg Camarillo. Jake Grove.

What do they have in common?

All are solid NFL players when healthy.

What else do they have in common?

All had health setbacks. And now all are gone — or, in Allen’s case, on injured reserve against his wishes, though that will be remedied soon enough.

Allen believed that he could play in the third game against the Jets and, if really pushed, the second game against the Vikings. The Dolphins have issues at cornerback. They put him on IR. And, as I’ve written, they’re against giving him an injury settlement, because of the concern that he will sign with another team — perhaps even New England in time for the game in Week 4. But, according to the players’ association, the Dolphins ultimately will have no choice, ...

Roth claimed he had a groin injury last training camp, a claim he repeated to me when I visited Cleveland early last month: “I played on a torn groin for two years, you know. I played throughout a whole season and went through a whole camp. You know, it was torn. There was nothing to dispute it. It just wasn’t ready to go last year’s camp.” The team didn’t believe it was serious enough for him to sit.

You know what Browns coach Eric Mangini keeps saying he likes best about Roth? His toughness.

Camarillo was traded to the Vikings, after having some lower leg setbacks that caused him to miss some practice time.

Smiley believed that his shoulder was responding after it wore down last season, and that he could make it through another season. The team rated him an A-minus for his pass blocking in 2009, and wanted him to work on his run blocking, but mostly didn’t want to deal with the maintenance. Someone in the building put out a story, through some media members, that Smiley couldn’t even lift a weight and probably wouldn’t pass a physical. After his trade to Jacksonville, he passed a physical. He enters the season as a Jacksonville starter.

And while in stay-away-from-the-facility limbo, Smiley predicted that Jake Grove would be next.

Now Grove’s gone, too. Yes, he’s proven to be injury-prone. He’s missed some time.

But this regime knew that when it signed him.

Just as it knew that Smiley had issues with his shoulder.

So, here’s the message to Dolphins players:

If you’re on the injury report, get off it. Get back on the field. Or we’ll get you out of here.

Channing Crowder, among others, better be taking heed.

posting.php?mode=post&f=2

Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:49 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Dolphins trend continues
The fires are being kindled... The gas cans are ready, and when given the chance the reporters will throw this regime right in....

I think it has something to do with the hush hush closed mouth policy, reporters cant do their jobs if the players/personnel is not allowed to talk to them...

A few I take exception with on this list tho...

Roth was playing games, he never told anyone he was injured...

Camarillo was a business decision, and I doubt it was a real easy one.

Smiley and Grove were paid to be starters, and neither one could make it 16 games...

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:02 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Roth was playing games, he never told anyone he was injured...

Camarillo was a business decision, and I doubt it was a real easy one.

Smiley and Grove were paid to be starters, and neither one could make it 16 games...

Good post. You're right, SMiley and Grove were FA busts. Guards/Centers are a hot commodity in the NFL, if they were that good, they wouldn't have hit the market. Injuries are not, if you are good and not playing, you're worthless to the team.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:05 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Throw in Sampson Satele to that list. He played out his rookie season with 1 healthy shoulder, it cost him his job. I'm amazed by the lack of patience with injured veterans. Grove was such a bust it took all of training camp for Berger to unseat him. If he wasn't any good at all, why did it take that long? Centers can move to guard rather easily, why not make him a backup guard/center? Everyone is putting some kind of spin around the player as if it had to more to do with them than Sparano or the front office. This last week and a half has really got me re-thinking this teams chances. When you got guys like Proctor as your primary backup at guard they're 1 injury from a 4-12 season.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Oh and Donald Thomas should make that list as well.

Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]