All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rosen to Williams has me really looking forward to this upcoming season. But that line scares me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:01 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Rosen has been under so much pressure. Ballage and preston look really good. D was getting spanked but a lot of starters sat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I know Rosen threw an interception and on that throw he was not under undue pressure but he looks much better overall than I thought he would look. He has been under pressure a lot and has made some good plays. I hope he makes me eat my words of not being a fan of using the pics for him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:14 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He has pocket awareness and a rocket arm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:08 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
He has pocket awareness and a rocket arm.

I agree. I know it's just one preseason game, but when was the last time we had a QB with those traits? Now, if we just had a decent O-line.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:14 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

So I got to watch most of the game missed some of Fitzpatrick and the first team players and what can you really tell from the game its preseason and I really don't know what kind of talent Atlanta has on the 2nd and third strings.

But from what I saw some of the trends from camp seem to spill over into the game. The O-line is porous and not deep. If the o-line coach Gugs? can make even a mediocre line out of these guys then my hat will be off to him.

I think there are going to be games where we say man their qb had all day to throw the ball and not be exaggerating. I did not see much of a pass rush and not sure other than the occasional blitz catching the opposing o-line off gurad where it will come from.

Preston Williams looks like a stud so far.

Rosen looks better than I thought he would.

What did you guys see?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:04 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I didn't have a feed to watch it, but it sounds like Rosen had to play behind the Dolphins 2nd/3rd string offense ... which means backups along the OL. They couldn't handle the Falcons backups. It is time to see him get some time with the first team offense.

Armando Salguero wrote:
It is without doubt that Rosen was Miami’s better quarterback this game, as he completed 13 of 20 passes for 191 yards and that interception. Fitzpatrick threw only five passes, completed two, and finished with 20 passing yards. This happened while Fitzpatrick played with a better offensive line but also against a better Atlanta defense that included several starters.

But Fitzpatrick’s performance is not the point. The point is what might Rosen have done behind the better line and against the better competition?

It feels like it’s time to find out. It feels like Josh Rosen needs a chance to play with Miami’s starting offense soon — like next week in dual practices with Tampa Bay and against the Buccaneers in the second preseason game of the year.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:09 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Catching up on some video now. That OL stinks, but keep in mind that Tunsil didn't play. I was pleasantly surprised at the run blocking so I'll eat my previous words that Drake and Ballage will be wasted this year.

The pass rush is non existent and I fear a talented secondary will get torched too often by good QBs.

I don't think I can stomach a season of Fitzpatrick at QB. Rosen better beat him out...

Speaking of Rosen, I like some of what I am seeing. He needs a shot with the starters and for the organization to support him.

Some missed tackles are concerning and pressures without a sack will be a problem (Carradine). Lamar Jackson in week 1 will run all over them if they don't correct that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:14 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

A few more thoughts:

Wow do Rosen and Williams have trust in one another.

Rosen really does well up the seam. TEs going to reap the reward?

I really like Cox and O'Leary for their blocking skills.

I really like our running back situation. Drake and Ballage are obvious, but Walton is starter worthy too. Even if injuries occur I don't think this bunch will lose too much of a step.

Defense is still tough to read because everything is vanilla. Wilkins and Godchaux will be fine pushing the middle. Secondary needs to do a better job tackling. Better hope Eric Rowe stays healthy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:52 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I try to remind myself this is preseason and if what I have been reading is correct the Phin s faced mostly backups in this game even in the first couple of series. So it makes me wonder how much the good is muted and potentially how much worse the bad might be.

Just another measurement amongst many and a lot of those measurements i will probably never see.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:10 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AQNOR wrote:
I try to remind myself this is preseason and if what I have been reading is correct the Phin s faced mostly backups in this game even in the first couple of series. So it makes me wonder how much the good is muted and potentially how much worse the bad might be.

Just another measurement amongst many and a lot of those measurements i will probably never see.

Oh it will be ugly in the regular season, no doubt about that. But some of the stuff we are seeing at least makes it seem like it won't be a complete clown show.

I guess we're just looking for flashes that can be built into consistency.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:42 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Oh it will be ugly in the regular season, no doubt about that. But some of the stuff we are seeing at least makes it seem like it won't be a complete clown show.

I guess we're just looking for flashes that can be built into consistency.

I agree some of the technique things such the ball placement of Rosen and the body control like the sideline toe tap and route running that Preston Williams showed (I am sure there must have been others) are things that will translate to any game. So definitely some reasons for hope and things to watch for the future.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:17 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I don’t want to bring this up and have it be like sour grapes but, I saw Tannehill’s time on the field with the Titans. First, I will say I know it was with backups on both sides of the ball, but he had time to throw and he looked like a frickin superstar. That’s not me saying I would want Tannehill back, but it does show me that more than anything, an OL can make anyone look amazing if they have the time.

So, that brings me to Rosen... I saw some really good things and some vision things that I think he needs to work on. He telegraphs some of his throws and he doesn’t look off defenders which other QB’s do that are TOP 5 guys. But, he has an arm and he looked like a gamer on some of those drop backs when he was under pressure. Also, he isn’t afraid of throwing it up there and letting his receiver go get it. Tannehill would dump it off before he would take a chance.

The interception was a bonehead throw and I think he missed a read here and there but overall, I thought he looked pretty good for his first game.

I will put it this way, I already feel more comfortable with Rosen than I do Fitzmagic. Growing pains will be there but I think the upside is if we can concentrate on the trenches solely in FA and the Draft (more so the Draft) I see the potential of a contender sooner rather than later.

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:59 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

cboy72 wrote:
I don’t want to bring this up and have it be like sour grapes but, I saw Tannehill’s time on the field with the Titans. First, I will say I know it was with backups on both sides of the ball, but he had time to throw and he looked like a frickin superstar. That’s not me saying I would want Tannehill back, but it does show me that more than anything, an OL can make anyone look amazing if they have the time.

So, that brings me to Rosen...

You aren't alone. The guy I trust the most with info and evaluation is Ben Allbright. He said he'd like to see Tannehill start for the Titans after last night. We've been down this road a thousand times but yes, surround him with talent and he'll be a pretty good QB, not a franchise guy. No shame in bringing that up.

As for Rosen, well, you all know I wanted Drew Lock very badly. Thought he was worth a 1st or trading back into Rd 1. Allbright, who never seemed overly high on the guy, now saying he will be good. Allbright is a Denver guy so he sees him all the time. Allbright also saying that he polled a bunch of OCs and assistant coaches and they believe Sam Darnold (the guy I wanted Miami to mortgage the farm for) is the most likely to breakout this year.

Ok, done with the negativity for now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:47 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I hope Tannehill starts and does well.
I liked him here but it was also time to go. I actually wish he went to a better team.
We looked decent enough for the first preseason game.
Im anticipating more wins than what is predicted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:24 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

cboy72 wrote:

I think Tanny will beat out Mariota at some point. And I was happy to see him finally get some time to throw the ball. Still, Tanny had issues late in games and at the end of each season. I know he had protection issues, but as skillful as he is throwing the football he doesn't have that quality of putting the game on his shoulders and carrying a team. His problems are between his ears.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]