All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:00 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Well, our last three drafts have been building blocks for this team, let's hope that Coach Flores is as good as our legends think he is. One thing that Shula had going for him was that Joe Robbie found some gems in the draft and in trades who became franchise greats for us. All they needed was genius coaching in Shula and Arnsparger.

Alain Poupart wrote:
The legendary fullback can’t help but see similarities between his Dolphins team at the time of Don Shula’s arrival in 1970 and the current group.

“It’s similar situations that are occurring right now,” Csonka said by phone from Wasilla. “The 1969-70 Dolphins were very comparable to what’s going on with the Dolphins right now — a total rebuild and realignment, new coach, new players, a great mixture of older successful players, no one knows who’s going to make it, who’s going to be their starter. They’re all jumping off the same starting line, just like we did in 1970 when Coach Shula came in.

“Now, I don’t mean to compare, exactly. Coach Shula’s credits at that time obviously were very, very strong. Flores has certainly earned a great reputation and valuable experience in New England, but now it’s all back to square one. It’s a very similar situation in that sense.

“I get a kick out of reading about it and hearing what’s going on, particularly with the quarterback position. I think they had a very good draft. It appears that he put together some real talent. But the proof in the pudding is seeing how the team performs on the field, of course.”

Under Shula, the Dolphins went from a 3-10-1 finish in 1969 to a 10-4 record in 1970 and the rest, as they say, is history.

If the arrival of Shula was a turning point in franchise history, perhaps the biggest moment on the field came in the 1971 Christmas Day classic in Kansas City when the Dolphins prevailed 27-24 in double overtime in what to this day remains the longest game in NFL history.

https://www.miamidolphins.com/news/larr ... rom-alaska

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]