Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Turk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:04 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dave, boss wants to see you. Bring your laptop.

Hal Habib wrote:
Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores filled a number of roles in his 15 years with the New England Patriots, from the guy fetching coffee in the morning and dry cleaning in the afternoon, to the guy running a championship defense.

But there’s no question of what was his worst task.

“I was the Grim Reaper,” Flores said Wednesday.

For two years, Patriots coach Bill Belichick had Flores fill the role of the guy who tapped players on the shoulder with the dreaded, “Coach wants to see you. Bring your playbook.”

For years, the Dolphins called the guy with that ugly job The Turk. Regardless of the label, players like to avoid that person because they know it’s the first sign they’re about to get cut.

Worst case, it marks the end of their pro football dream.

“That was my job and it was a tough job,” Flores said. “And that’s when I learned early that this is a tough league to play in. It’s a privilege to play in this league and not a lot of guys get that opportunity.”

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20 ... was-no-fun

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Post subject: Re: The Turk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:18 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

There's no outrunning the reaper

Post subject: Re: The Turk
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The Turk doesn't like to announce "cornerstone" players either. He has issues.

:haha

We've heard that cliche that the NFL stands for "Not For Long". Good players has to prove themselves every year. Once they get hit free agency they'll get overpaid by someone (if they are still good). And once they've reached the expensive part of their contract they either restructure or get cut. Yep, N.F.L.

Armando Salguero wrote:
New Dolphins coach Brian Flores doesn’t love the idea of his team announcing cornerstone players. Oh, the team might have cornerstones but Flores doesn’t love the idea of saying so.

So ask him about left tackle Laremy Tunsil, who seems to be an excellent candidate for cornerstone status, and Flores treads carefully.

“I think I’m measured when I talk about everyone,” the coach said. “It’s not specific to Laremy. He’s a really good player. I’m looking forward to working with him. I try not to put labels on players. That’s where I’m at with him. That’s where I’m at with everyone.”

Regardless, Tunsil is headed to cornerstone status. He’s young. He’s very good. And he plays a premium position.

Despite Tunsil’s contract status, which only stretches his time in Miami to the end of 2020, it’s logical to believe he will be a Dolphin for many years. And that makes him unique because he’s probably the only player on offense with that certainty.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]