Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:10 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Thoughts?

B/R wrote:
Here's a simple example that won't make your eyes glaze over. Teams averaged 4.4 yards per rush last season—the highest per-carry rate in NFL history, in the most pass-happy season in NFL history! Last year's offensive explosion had almost as much to do with the creative, high-efficiency rushing attacks of teams like the Rams and Chiefs as with the passing game.

The running game may actually grow more marginally valuable as passing rates increase because of the element of surprise, the proliferation of dime defenses full of 195-pounders (see last season's divisional-round matchup between the Patriots and Chargers), quarterback runs, the elimination of ineffective two-yard plunges into stacked defenses and other imaginative options. And yes, letting the right tackle fire off the line and clobber his opponent now and then probably has some value that doesn't show up on a spreadsheet.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/283 ... ll-matters

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:36 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Even Jimmy Johnson (AKA "The Fraud") could put together a running game in today's NFL.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:23 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

When you are up by 2 with 2 minutes left in the game and are at your own 10 with the ball and the opponent has all their time outs or even none , the running game clearly is not overrated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:49 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I wonder what percentage of running plays were run against 5 and 6 DB sets last year?

I also agree with FINesse. Throwing the ball around late in the 4th quarter, with a less than TD lead, on your own side of the field, makes me incredibly nervous.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:54 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

It's all cyclical, teams will go more pass happy, colleges will be prepping guys for being pass happy, then some coach is gonna look at footage from the 70s and 80s, implement an I formation run game and then powerhouse running will make its return.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:56 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

00xtremeninja wrote:
It's all cyclical, teams will go more pass happy, colleges will be prepping guys for being pass happy, then some coach is gonna look at footage from the 70s and 80s, implement an I formation run game and then powerhouse running will make its return.

Unless you have a Dan Marino with pinpoint accuracy and the abilty to beat blitzes, I prefer a balanced approach. There is nothing more empowering than having a lead in the 4th quarter and the defense can't stop your running game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:09 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

The running game is what won the Super Bowl last year for the Patriots. It doesn't hurt that the threat of what Brady can do made him the Rams #1 priority.

PFT wrote:
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was fantastic in Super Bowl LII, throwing for a record 505 yards. He was much worse against the Rams defense in Super Bowl LIII. He completed 21 of his 35 pass attempts for 262 yards with zero touchdowns and an interception. Brady was great on the Patriots' only touchdown drive, but it was rookie running back Sony Michel and the ground game that carried New England's offense throughout the game.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patrio ... s-patriots

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]