All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:37 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

From Barry Jackson. His article (below) discussed how Kiper and McShay view the 2020 QB draft class. None are viewed today as franchise QBs. They are good, some have excellent qualities, but they also have shown shortcomings. Given that, and assuming the Fins have the 1st pick, this is Jackson’s conclusion. And I like it! (Go Rosen!).

(PS. Of course, he had to go and ruin it with that “draft brilliantly” condition. Don’t know if anyone in this FO is “brilliant” at drafting, but maybe, just maybe they can be? For once? Pretty please!)

Quote:
The best case scenario for the Dolphins from a draft standout? That Rosen leaves no doubt that he’s the quarterback of the future, but Miami still gets the No. 1 pick because of defensive shortcomings. Then the Dolphins could extract a boatload of assets from another team with a high pick (let’s say the Bengals) in a draft day trade for Tua.

Imagine the Dolphins emerging not only with a top five pick in that 2020 draft but an additional second and/or third rounder, among other compensation. Next April, Miami already is expected to have two picks in every round except the first round.

With the possibility of three second-rounders and three third-rounders plus a top-five pick, the Dolphins could fill virtually every hole on defense – plus right tackle and No. 1 receiver – if they draft brilliantly.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:52 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Fins won't have the first pick. Get over it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:27 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Relive1972 wrote:

For our rebuilding sake, they better....what’s the point of winning a couple of meaningless games, show no future while doing it with a bunch of fill in players that won’t be around when the winning starts, and wind up drafting out of the top 10?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

carreramia wrote:
Relive1972 wrote:

For our rebuilding sake, they better....what’s the point of winning a couple of meaningless games, show no future while doing it with a bunch of fill in players that won’t be around when the winning starts, and wind up drafting out of the top 10?

Again, you're just wanting them to throw the season so they get first pick. The best player isn't always the first one taken. Sometimes the best player is taken in a later round. Sometimes 2/3 of the players taken in round one wind up being busts. You can watch all the game film on a player you want, measure everything about him, it's still not going to definitely tell you how good that player will be in the NFL. If it was more of an exact science, you can bet your bottom dollar they'd have a draft lottery in the NFL, like the NBA, just to prevent teams from doing what you suggest. The best way to approach it is not where you pick, but how many picks you have, that way you can move up and take a player you really like, or if nothing else, you'd have a better chance of selecting players that will actually become starters with more picks to choose.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I’ve thought about this. I wouldn’t count on it.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:40 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Relive1972 wrote:
Again, you're just wanting them to throw the season so they get first pick. The best player isn't always the first one taken.

Did you even bother reading anything in the post? You couldn't have read the what-if scenario Jackson described because the point was entirely about using the 1st overall pick to trade down and acquire more assets.

And believe me, as hard as that is for me to think possible, I don't need this team to "throw" anything. They'll be naturally lousy, as any team that cleaned house and is starting over would be.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:11 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
Relive1972 wrote:

ESPN says that we will be the worst, but I'm still thinking 5 wins. That won't get you the first overall pick, but it will get you a chance to draft a difference maker who is a team building block. I really don't hope we get people posting on here that are pissed off when we win a game. Unless you win the Super Bowl, really, all games are meaningless. I wouldn't trade that meaningless win over the Patriots for anything. What a memory that I'll look back on for many years.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:03 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I read it. It didn't make much sense,

Quote:
His article (below) discussed how Kiper and McShay view the 2020 QB draft class. None are viewed today as franchise QBs.

None are viewed today as franchise QBs. So then Barry expects a team like the Bengals to be dumb enough to trade a boatload of picks to move up and draft one of these non-franchise QBs?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:18 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ESPN has hundreds of writers. Is there one guy who represents the company?

I’ll always say that this board knows more about their team than the sideline mouthpieces.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:48 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
carreramia wrote:
Relive1972 wrote:

ESPN says that we will be the worst, but I'm still thinking 5 wins. That won't get you the first overall pick, but it will get you a chance to draft a difference maker who is a team building block. I really don't hope we get people posting on here that are pissed off when we win a game. Unless you win the Super Bowl, really, all games are meaningless. I wouldn't trade that meaningless win over the Patriots for anything. What a memory that I'll look back on for many years.

I hope so too but I seem to remember posters on this board lamenting useless wins.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:21 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Worst?!?! That is just crazy. For starters we are better than 2 teams in our division.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:56 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

FINesse wrote:
Worst?!?! That is just crazy. For starters we are better than 2 teams in our division.

The Patriots and who? lol

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:39 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I’ll always say that this board knows more about their team than the sideline mouthpieces.

You're a smart man, AFCMiamiEast!

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

You're a smart man, AFCMiamiEast!

It’s true. So many of these guys just blow out hot air. It’s an overcrowded profession, not in the least remarkable and one of the only few that along with weathermen...get paid to get it wrong. All the time. I know a solid handful of people on here are more in touch with their team.

Solid play with the .gif...do I finally have competition?

Doubt it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:21 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Hey guys, long time no talk. Probably the perfect thread for me to stick my nose into...

Yes, in an ideal world the Dolphins get the 1st pick, deal back because Rosen is legit, and increase their haul for 2020. The problem is I see an implosion in NY brewing before our eyes which makes me think Miami is a game or two better than them. I hate to see a young QB like Darnold get ruined because he was the guy I wanted in Miami.

This team has enough pieces to be competitive in the sense that they won't be laughing-stocks. The defense should be solid and I expect Flores to unlock the potential of previous 1st Rounders Charles Harris and Minkah Fitzpatrick. I also think the LB group will be stronger than we anticipate.

My worry is the offensive line. Early camp work does not define anyone but we keep reading the same stories about ineffectiveness and getting beat. That isn't going to bode well for a team that needs to be run first with either a sub par veteran QB (Fitzpatrick) or a young guy still finding his way (Rosen). Speaking of, if Fitzpatrick wins the job I'm going to struggle to be motivated to watch. Not that I want Rosen thrown to the wolves, but its more fun to see a young guy attempt to overcome the challenge.

Too much can happen between now and midway through the season with regard to injuries. A key QB injury or two from opponents and suddenly tough games become winnable. I'd say worst case Miami gets 4 wins and best case they reach .500. I love the idea of the highest possible pick but overachieving is great and might be a better test of coach Flores for years to come. Gase was underestimated, won, and then crumbled under ego and pressure. I'd like to see Flores win but then show the exact opposite - win with a team of good minds and a humble hungry approach.

Hope everyone here is doing well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:02 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Good to hear from you, Jammer. I agree with your assessment of the season, though I'm more skeptical about our defense than you. Mainly this is because I don't think we'll have a consistent pass rush. You can only scheme so much.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:15 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

While I would be greatly disappointed I think the floor for this team could go all the way down to 0. I think the Phins are not all that good and have little depth. I am not convinced that any unit has gotten better this year and it is a new system.

I really, really, hope I am wrong.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]