All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:47 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I thought Stills was underutilized last year as Gase went to the short passing game to make up for poor pass blocking from his OL and Drake. It looks like the coaching staff is doing their best to analyze the talent that they do have.

Armando Salguero wrote:
The Dolphins seem intent on maximizing Stills both outside and in the slot.

Outside, his speed is as dangerous as it has always been and he still routinely gets behind defenders. But in the slot, which Stills played a lot in 2016 when he caught a career-high nine touchdowns, there seems to be more opportunities in the offing.

Stills can use his 6-1 frame and knowledge of routes and technique to gain an advantage from the slot. So maybe he plays there more than the 22.6 percent the downs he did last year.

“You look at the numbers, I’ve done pretty well in the slot,” Stills said. “So it’s not something I’m too worried about. Wherever they put me right now that’s where I’m at and I’m having fun with it.”

That’s good.

But I like the attitude and approach from Stills much better.

“You can’t play this game without that chip or without thinking of constant growth,” he said. “If you do play this game without that, you’re just out here wasting your time. Me, in all aspects of my life, I’m thinking about how can I maximize my skill set and who I am as a person. That’s part of my job in becoming a better receiver.”

“This game of football, it’s been seven years for me now in the league and I’ve been playing since I was a little kid. So any time you can get a new challenge, you have to learn something new, you’re trying to refine your game, it’s fun.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 15489.html

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I get that fly routes were hard to come by last season but darn, utilize his speed in the slot.

Armando Salguero wrote:
But in the slot, which Stills played a lot in 2016 when he caught a career-high nine touchdowns, there seems to be more opportunities in the offing.

Stills can use his 6-1 frame and knowledge of routes and technique to gain an advantage from the slot. So maybe he plays there more than the 22.6 percent the downs he did last year.

“You look at the numbers, I’ve done pretty well in the slot,” Stills said. “So it’s not something I’m too worried about. Wherever they put me right now that’s where I’m at and I’m having fun.”

Surprise surprise.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 7:19 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I get that fly routes were hard to come by last season but darn, utilize his speed in the slot.

You can think you are a gifted mind and mold players into your vision of what the offense should be (Gase), or you can be a blue-collar coach and mold your positions into the talent that you do have (Shula).

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:35 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

He’s very similiar to Mike Wallace with the exception of #11’s rudimentary body catching. He is very capable of taking a 7 yard slant to pay dirt.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:55 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A little more info on Kenny Stills in the slot from Barry Jackson. My question is why did he only have 20 targets on 167 snaps from the slot?

Barry Jackson wrote:
Brian Flores was non-committal last week about who would be Miami’s slot receiver (get used to that from Flores), but a strong case could be made for Kenny Stills.

Here’s why: Per our friends at Pro Football Focus, Stills last season had 167 receiving snaps from the slot, was targeted 20 times, had 12 receptions for 137 yards with four touchdowns, 12 first downs and two drops. That equates to a 120.2 passer rating when targeted. That also means he got a first down 60 percent of the time he was targeted in the slot, which is pretty impressive considering the mediocre quarterback play.

In 2017, in 302 snaps in the slot, he had 53 targets, 32 receptions, 516 yards, 6 touchdowns, 22 first downs, one drop and a 122.8 passer rating when targeted. That means the Dolphins got a first down 41.5 percent of the time Stills was targeted.

For one of the worst teams in the league in picking up first downs, those numbers are pretty staggering.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]