All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:18 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think he would have benefited from another year in college as he did not take the next step this year in his development, but a lot of that could be from the loss of personnel. He has a good football mind on his shoulders and his arm strength is better than people think. The Dolphins could possibly select him with their first 2nd round pick in the draft as he has a 2nd round grade .... right now.

ESPN wrote:
Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm, who has guided the Bulldogs to three consecutive SEC East titles, will bypass his senior season and enter the NFL draft.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranked Fromm as the fifth-best quarterback eligible for the 2020 draft, behind LSU's Joe Burrow, Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa, Oregon's Justin Herbert and Washington's Jacob Eason.

Fromm completed better than 60% of his passes in each of his three seasons. His numbers dipped in 2019, after Georgia lost its top five pass-catchers from 2018. He still completed 60.8% for 2,860 yards with 24 touchdowns and five interceptions.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -nfl-draft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:16 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I've gone back and forth on Fromm this year like everyone else, but the talent is there.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:01 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Anyone else see a little bit of Ryan Fitzpatrick in that video? Both the good and the bad. Hint hint.

And yes, I agree with Chris Kouffman that Fromm probably got a 2nd Round grade from the Draft Advisory Board leading him to declare.

He lost some very good receiving weapons heading into 2019 and is losing D'Andre Swift and most of his O Line to the 2020 draft. It would have been nice to see him go back, put up better numbers and then declare but he could luck out and maybe sit behind a Brees, Brady or Rivers for a year.

As I said in my blog, he is a guy who will easily win over Grier and Flores with his leadership and football IQ.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:07 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

His receiver corps was pretty lackluster this year. I keep wondering what he would have looked like with Jeudy, Riggs, and Smith or Jefferson, Chase, and Marshall or Higgins and Ross.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:22 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

He had 30 TDs and completed 67% of his passes last year. He lost his best receiving targets, but still threw 24 TDs and only 5 picks this year.

Biggest difference I saw this year was fewer 50/50 balls aka did not have the trust or rapport with the younger receivers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:10 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A little "insight" into Fromm and questions to be answered.

Matt Miller (Bleacher Report) wrote:
Georgia quarterback Jake Fromm has entered the 2020 draft class. Fromm has started for three seasons in Athens and is one of the more experienced junior quarterbacks in the country. What Fromm lacks in size (6'2", 220 lbs) and arm strength he makes up for with football IQ and accuracy.

Scouts will need to dive into the tape to see why Fromm didn't develop well in his sophomore and junior seasons after looking like a first-rounder in his freshman year, but there is a lot to like from a vision, decision-making and smarts standpoint. In a class without a cemented QB4, Fromm has room to move up.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/287 ... -nfl-draft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:21 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Ian Wharton thinks he'll get the Mason Rudolph treatment - Round 1/2 hype but ends up a Day 3 backup guy. That has been his opinion for quite some time.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:09 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Fromm's arm strength dropped him in some in people's minds, but I really like Fromm's intelligence and ability to put the ball into his players hands. He has very good pocket awareness and anticipation as well. I wouldn't dismiss him later in the first round or early 2nd round. He seems to be a healthy and more mobile Chad Pennington in my mind.

Any thoughts? Jammer?

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:35 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
Fromm's arm strength dropped him in some in people's minds, but I really like Fromm's intelligence and ability to put the ball into his players hands. He has very good pocket awareness and anticipation as well. I wouldn't dismiss him later in the first round or early 2nd round. He seems to be a healthy and more mobile Chad Pennington in my mind.

Any thoughts? Jammer?

I'd be happy with Fromm as a 2nd Rounder. I haven't heard anything on him this draft season. He's basically the forgotten man.

He has the mental part down and is a great leader. His deep accuracy may leave underwhelmed but he is great back shoulder throws and can zip short and intermediate throws into tight windows from what I've seen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:44 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:

I'd be happy with Fromm as a 2nd Rounder. I haven't heard anything on him this draft season. He's basically the forgotten man.

He has the mental part down and is a great leader. His deep accuracy may leave underwhelmed but he is great back shoulder throws and can zip short and intermediate throws into tight windows from what I've seen.

He is going in the 4th round in the mock drafts I've tried.

Here is a hypothetical for you. Suppose you could have Burrow or the rest of the field (i.e., we drafted them all). Which would you take? I'd take the field. If you agree, what is the largest subset of the field that would make it even? Would you take Love, Fromm, Hurts, and Eason?

Of course, it is a silly question, because realistically you couldn't evaluate four QBs, even if you drafted them (especially this coming offseason, which is likely to be shortened). But what about Tua AND Herbert?

What got me thinking about it was your suggestion that the Dolphins might double down. I think it is unlikely to happen, but I think it is at least worth considering. I think it would take less draft capital to get both Tua and Herbert than to move up to get Burrow. Plus, the one we don't keep would certainly have good trade value after a couple of years.

(For the record, I'm not in favor of doing this, just exploring options, which is what we do in the off-season!)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:24 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I agree I would prefer double on Tua or Herbert and Fromm than trade up to get burrow and loose all our other primary picks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:08 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I like Fromm. Wonder if we would be thinking a little differently about him had Georgia held on and beaten Alabama.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:09 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

prof123 wrote:
Here is a hypothetical for you. Suppose you could have Burrow or the rest of the field (i.e., we drafted them all). Which would you take? I'd take the field. If you agree, what is the largest subset of the field that would make it even? Would you take Love, Fromm, Hurts, and Eason?

I would only double down if I got Tua due to his injury.

Burrow or the field is tough. I guess the field for better odds. Probably Love, Morgan and Luton.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:44 am 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I would double on QB ( my favorite are Tua or Hebert and Fromm in round 4 if available)
I would double on OT (Andrew Thomas Whirf or Jackson and Driscoll later)
I would double on CB ( Gladney or danzler and Hall or Vildor later) because we need depht here and if we pick a diamond bye bye Xavien next year
I would double on OG (Cushenberry and Kindley later)

Just my opinion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:32 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

fastball83 wrote:
I would double on QB ( my favorite are Tua or Hebert and Fromm in round 4 if available)
I would double on OT (Andrew Thomas Whirf or Jackson and Driscoll later)
I would double on CB ( Gladney or danzler and Hall or Vildor later) because we need depht here and if we pick a diamond bye bye Xavien next year
I would double on OG (Cushenberry and Kindley later)

Just my opinion

Doubling down on OT definitely makes sense, since we need two of them. In most of my mocks, I take offensive tackles in two of my first three picks (from Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Becton, Josh Jones, and Jackson). I would not object to us selecting two tackles, a guard, and a center in our first six picks.

We have two starting CBs, so I don't see us drafting two of them (unless late-round fliers). But safeties, yes.

If we hadn't signed Howard, I could see us drafting two RBs. The Saints have shown how having two stars at RB is very effective.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:53 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

fastball83 wrote:

Just my opinion

Even if we draft a QB, we are sort of doubling down, since we have Rosen. Rosen could pair well with Tua, if Tua isn't healthy enough to fully participate, because then Rosen would get enough reps to show his stuff. However, if we draft Herbert, he is going to get all the reps. Same with Love, because 1st round picks are always selected to be "the guy." On the other hand, if it is a 3rd or 4th rounder like Hurts or Fromm, I could see them compete with Rosen for the backup-for-now-but-future-starter role.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:48 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I don't think Love or Herbert will be playing much this year unless they end up in an injury riddled QB room. Both seem to need quite a bit of work. Love needs a lot, I fear.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:56 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

In my opinion I wouldn’t waste a pick on him. Fromm apparently bombed the interview portion of the combine. Like one of the worst interview rounds in NFL combine History.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:18 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Wow. I never read anything about Fromm bombing interviews. I would have thought the opposite. I would have figured that would have been his time to shine. I can see him "bombing" a 50-yard throw contest, but not an interview. Wow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:24 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jgod1 wrote:
Wow. I never read anything about Fromm bombing interviews. I would have thought the opposite. I would have figured that would have been his time to shine. I can see him "bombing" a 50-yard throw contest, but not an interview. Wow.

I haven't either. I just heard that his arm strength was worst than advertised at the combine which is why no one is talking about him right now.

From the Draft Bible:

Quote:
QB5 JAKE FROMM-GEORGIA: The theme for Fromm was ball placement, as he once again showcased his pinpoint location in the short area and middle of the field. However, once he was asked to make the further throws, you could clearly see the lack of ball trajectory, especially on his go routes. Fromm is more of a small stepper on his drop backs but had solid footwork. His arms were more refined than most other quarterbacks in terms of muscle definition and he can certainly spin it from the short-to-intermediate levels of the filed. The lack of arm strength will eliminate him on some boards around the league but there will be a market for organizations in search of a cerebral signal-caller who can dink and dunk down the field; round one is still a possibility.

And from NFL Draft Guide:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:33 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A little more information on Jake Fromm from Barry Jackson's QB piece this morning on QBs other than the big 3 in this draft.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
And Jeremiah said: “Fromm is a fascinating evaluation. He doesn’t possess a huge arm or special athleticism. His statistics don’t jump off the page, but he won a bunch of games at Georgia. He’s lauded for his intelligence and leadership. I asked a handful of teams which quarterback was the most impressive in their Combine interview and every single one of them mentioned Fromm at or near the top of the list. His physical limitations will limit the number of teams interested in him, but I believe someone will fall in love and take him in the second or third round.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:27 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
A little more information on Jake Fromm from Barry Jackson's QB piece this morning on QBs other than the big 3 in this draft.

Barry Jackson (Miami Herald) wrote:
And Jeremiah said: “Fromm is a fascinating evaluation. He doesn’t possess a huge arm or special athleticism. His statistics don’t jump off the page, but he won a bunch of games at Georgia. He’s lauded for his intelligence and leadership. I asked a handful of teams which quarterback was the most impressive in their Combine interview and every single one of them mentioned Fromm at or near the top of the list. His physical limitations will limit the number of teams interested in him, but I believe someone will fall in love and take him in the second or third round.”

Sounds like we have contradictory reports about how he performed in the interview. I wouldn't put too much stock in those, either way. If he produced and his teammates liked him as a leader, that is more important.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:10 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Sounds like another Checkdown Chad. If teams know you struggle to throw outside or deep, they can begin to lockdown the field and force you into small yardage completions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]