View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Hyde5: Could Henne be replaced by Pennington? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Hyde5: Could Henne be replaced by Pennington?
Quote:
By Dave Hyde September 3, 2010 06:45 AMTen thoughts on football after Thursday's games:

1. Chad Henne missed a wide-open Brian Hartline for a probable touchdown on Thursday night's first play. He either missed Brandon Marshall in the end zone or they weren't thinking the same route a little later. His offense didn't put up a touchdown against reserve Dallas players.

So Thursday continued a preseason from Henne in which you wanted to see more. If he was a five-year veteran with a proven body of work, it wouldn't matter. Maybe it still doesn't. It's preseason, after all. And preseason is full of false hope in players (remember John Avery?) and false worries (one columnist - not me - once wrote to bench Dan Marino when he struggled coming off his Achilles repair. He naturally threw five TD passes in the opener.)

But this is the first season the keys really have been handed to Henne and you wanted to see something more than a very good second quarter at Jacksonville this preseason.

At least Tony Sparano did.

And that tells you something about his thinking on Henne and the first-team offense right now. It's not all Henne. The running game has been bad this preseason. The offensive line hasn't been very good. Receivers have dropped passes. Again: It's preseason. Again: Let's not overdo it.

But Sparano kept Henne and the first-team offense in the game into the second quarter - rare for the fourth game of preseason. That ended with tackle Jake Long getting hurt (though he looked fine afterward), Henne sacked and a fumble recovered by Dallas.

But Sparano evidently is worried enough about this offense to run the risk of injury in the most meaningless of preseason games. That says something.

Then Chad Pennington entered the game and immediately completed 7 of 10 passes for 40 yards and a touchdown. Which means ...

2. Sparano has to be asking privately, "How long would I stay this season with a struggling Henne?"

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/ ... _leas.html

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:56 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Hyde5: Could Henne be replaced by Pennington?
It would be a foolish move. Leave him in, take your lumps and if he doesnt look better by week 16 we look for a replacement in the off season...

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:59 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I don't think Chad Henne is going to blow everyone away and have a pro bowl season. Its his first full season as a starter. From the limited game play I've seen, he has been under constant pressure from defenses and has endured an unreal amount of drops. He also has missed some wide open targets, not been on the same page with receivers at times, and forced some bad throws.

If he stays upright then he should be able to string together 3500 yds and 18-20 TD passes. He needs serious help from his line and his receivers. He isn't going to make good throws if he doesn't have time to let plays develop (ala the Falcons giving Matt Ryan plenty of time to throw). He also needs his receivers to get open. Didn't appear that they were getting great separation and the drops are inexcusable. The schedule isnt easy but I'd say there are 7 games where Henne will have weaker secondaries that I think he can take advantage of (2x Bills, 2x Pats, Browns, Lions, Bears). It seems crazy to mention the Pats, but their pass rush is awful, their front line is in shambles, and their secondary inexperience is very noticeable.

David Hyde needs to calm down on the dramatic headlines. Pennington isn't going to replace Henne this season or next. Henne will be given his chance to succeed. Most potential franchise guys are given 3 or 4 seasons as a starter to pull it all together.

Hyde and Skolnik really have a way of coming up with dumb articles from time to time.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Twitter
Quote:
OmarKelly I said this from day 1. Phins could probably win more games with a healthy Chad Pennington. But investing in Chad Henne presents more upside

http://www.phins.com/phins-urls.html

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:05 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

why does everyone , including the writers, forget about our 2008 playoff loss to the Ravens.... that exposed his noodle arm and is as far as Pennington can take us... end of story!!!

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:29 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
It would be a foolish move. Leave him in, take your lumps and if he doesnt look better by week 16 we look for a replacement in the off season...

Totally agree.

Pennington isn't the future. We need to know that Henne is or is not.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Gotta love the media. Can't report anymore. Have to be the story.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:52 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

easy for you to say. If the Dolphins fail to make the playoffs they might be looking for a coach in the off-season. My thoughts on this are simple to say, difficult to execute.

1. If we're going to go by performance, Thigpen is the starter. He clearly has the ability.

2. Pennington would get Miami to the playoffs...because he'll take what the defense will give him. He'll beat the easy teams with his accuracy and decision making. He's also more mobile than Henne. However Pennington won't beat the AFC bullies like Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the like.

3. Henne has the most upside and is a tough competitor. He put Miami in a position to win a lot of games down the stretch only to watch the defense cave.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Time to change QBs has passed for Dolphins
Ethan J. Skolnick

Miami needs to stick with Henne as starter
Ethan J. Skolnick

Sun Sentinel Columnist

4:24 p.m. EDT, September 3, 2010

No breaking the glass. No looking back.

While I suspect, along with a growing number of observers, that the Dolphins could have more short-term success by turning to the crafty, poised, proven Chad Pennington, I simply can't endorse the implementation of my hunch. Not now. Not anytime soon. Not even after Chad Henne's uneven preseason, which continued Thursday night with misfires toward Brian Hartline on a fly and Brandon Marshall on a fade. Not when the Dolphins wouldn't win a Super Bowl this February with either guy anyway.

At this stage?

No change.

I wouldn't even consider one until Henne malfunctions so completely that he needs to be unplugged for his own good, and returned to the field only when fully reprogrammed and recharged.

Yes, I have written repeatedly that the Dolphins should play the best guy at a position regardless of investment or expectation, that they shouldn't be stubborn and so on. Quarterback is the screaming exception.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:22 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

This is a bit of a stretch by Dave Hyde. If Henne does not look good after week two or three then there will be a point, but it is still preseason.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:55 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Henne will be servicable and more importantly he won't limit the offense the way Pennington does. Is a
budding Superstar? I doubt it, but he won't hold the phins back. We can win playoff games with him.

Another thing...For all the talk about his inconsistency last year (and he had his moments). people need to
remember he got pulled out of games alot for the wildcat and worse for Pat White. Hopefully this year, Sparano refrains. I remember more than a few drives that stalled because of it.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:25 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
easy for you to say. If the Dolphins fail to make the playoffs they might be looking for a coach in the off-season. My thoughts on this are simple to say, difficult to execute..

Why would Miami be looking for a HC & destroy what they are building. New coach, means new system. Its the constantly changing of coaches that keep bad teams playing poorly. There is a reason the Steelers have won 6 SBs.

NFLJunkie wrote:
1. If we're going to go by performance, Thigpen is the starter. He clearly has the ability..
Until he starts playing against defensives with players who actually are in the NFL.

NFLJunkie wrote:
2. Pennington would get Miami to the playoffs...because he'll take what the defense will give him. He'll beat the easy teams with his accuracy and decision making. He's also more mobile than Henne. However Pennington won't beat the AFC bullies like Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the like. ..
Don't believe he is more mobile. Judgement I guess. However, getting to the playoffs & going home the next week does not sound appealing to myself. Had enough of that under Wanny. I want a team that has the chance to do some damage once it gets there. For that to happen Henne has to develop & he will not develop sitting on the bench.

NFLJunkie wrote:
3. Henne has the most upside and is a tough competitor. He put Miami in a position to win a lot of games down the stretch only to watch the defense cave.
True.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

10acjed wrote:

Spot on

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:40 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

I can't believe we're actually talking about this after the Pre Season....Give me a break Hyde.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
I can't believe we're actually talking about this after the Pre Season....Give me a break Hyde.

Warren Sapp says the hook will be quick if Henne underperforms.

In other news, Warren Sapp is an idiot.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henne has something that Pennington never will, and it's not a cannon for an arm. It's the ability to come from behind late in games. We all saw it last year when he helped us come from behind to beat the Jets on that Sunday night game in Miami. His arm stretched that Jets defense and made Rex Ryan eat his words. That was the only time I can ever remember Rex Ryan being humbled like that. Or the other time when we beat New England 22-21 at home, another 4th quarter comeback. And I certainly remember the drive that set up Dan Carpenter's game winner with ten seconds left against Tampa Bay.
A lot of people want to give Henne a bad rap because we didn't perform well down the stretch last season. Those same people seem to have forgotten how bad our defense was down the stretch. We were constantly coming from behind the entire second half of the season. We gave up big plays left and right. Henne was airing it out most of the game and I think for it being his first season as a starter he did very well. I can think of several great quarterbacks who had first seasons that would make us all cringe.
To me, Henne is a gamer. He has that competitive fire that you only see in the great ones. I think this is the year he breaks out and never looks back.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:19 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phin wrote:
10acjed wrote:

Spot on

By this logic San Diego should have canned Drew Brees after his 3rd season when he struggled. Funny enough, the next season he had his breakout year. This is not a microscope season for Henne or a make or break season. Let the guy progress.

*I already know someone will use the "San Diego drafted Philip Rivers argument." Thats fine. If Henne has a bad year then Miami can draft another guy early next year (and it appears a good year for QBs in the draft). But remember that San Diego was all but ready to deal Rivers and sign Brees to an extension until he got injured in the playoffs that year.

Point is lets stop rushing the idea that every QB Miami gets will be Marino by their 2nd or 3rd season.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:16 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Another thing...For all the talk about his inconsistency last year (and he had his moments). people need to
remember he got pulled out of games alot for the wildcat and worse for Pat White. Hopefully this year, Sparano refrains. I remember more than a few drives that stalled because of it.

When he gets pulled out for a wildcat it has no bearing on his stats....
The wildcat is a glorified running play in most regards...All he would be doing is handing the ball off anyway....since he don't have a special talent of handing off the ball i don't see much of an effect...If anything it helps he gets to go to the soideline get some coaching and time to think about the next play....

Drives stall because plays don't work...Weather it's a dropped pass, penalty, or wildcat....The wildcat has proven to be succesful more times than not!!!!

Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:14 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

my opinion is the wildcat should be canned!!! it was brought out of the closet when we were in desperate straights after starting with 2 bad losses in 08...we didn't have the weapons that we now have....it definitely takes Henne out of rhythm, and really doesn't seem to be catching defenses off guard anymore.... why use it?

Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:16 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Its easy to see that these back up QBs have nothing to lose & all to gain by playing all out during preseason. Henne has to be smart & not make bone head habits if we're going to have a chance. You might say he would be better off throwing down the field or taking more chances but after so many drops would you have faith in the WRs? Time will tell. Hyde's a fruit & filling his quota

I don't dislike the wildcat & theres definitely a chance Thigpens speed can be an asset when he lines up out wide

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:08 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Could Henne be replaced by Thigpen....Yes. I think this being year 3 of the Parcells' project...playoffs are expected. Don't be surprised if this leads to some interesting decisions if the Dolphins come out of the gates slow.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]