View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Are the Dolphin Coaches playing poker? 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Are the Dolphin Coaches playing poker?
It does make you wonder after watching 4 lackluster preseason games. The first team offense has looked putrid on the field. The first team defense has looked decent but not any better than last year's group. So it remains to be seen if these Miami Dolphins are better than last year's group. Miami has lost 2 years in a row up in Buffalo. If this team is going to make the playoffs, it has to start by beating teams it should beat. It won't be easy because division games on the road never are. Still, the table is set and football is served up next week! :pumpiron:

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:13 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Are the Dolphin Coaches playing poker?
I would love to think the staff is bluffing right now....but I fear otherwise. I will be nervously watching the opener....

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:26 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I wouldn't call it poker but, I would say that they aren't gameplanning for teams right now. They just running basic sets. I think they are focusing on the personnel then wins and losses.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

finfan808 wrote:
I wouldn't call it poker but, I would say that they aren't gameplanning for teams right now. They just running basic sets. I think they are focusing on the personnel then wins and losses.

I would agree with that statement. The Dolphins would be silly to pull out all the stops in preseason to win a few meaningless games. Believe me, I think Sparano will be sitting up on his podium every Sunday talking about a new "wrinkle" they added to the offense. When you add a guy like Marshall there are no doubt new "wrinkles" to add to the offense. Just like we have more offensive options when Ricky & Ronnie are both healthy. I think the offense will come together nicely by week one.
As for the defense, I do have my reservations about the defense. I'm still seeing guys getting beat deep like Sean Smith did this game and that worries me. If our secondary doesn't come together we're going to be in for a long season of watching teams throw on us all day long.

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:22 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

did you see the coverage smith had.... IT WAS A PERFECT THROW... HE HAD GREAT COVERAGE!!!..Wow....yeah we suck!!!! why do some of you even root for the team if all you do is complain and naysay all the time.... doesn't seem like a fun past time....I am so excited for week 1... we will see what a Mike Nolan D is all about!!!

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:34 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I agree that we aren't showing everything we had. Even Dansby just said that we have only showed 20% of our playbook. It is extremely important that we disguise our looks for the games that count so teams don't know when we are bringing the heat.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:57 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

dolphan, Smith did not have good coverage he was 2 steps behind the WR, and the replay showed he barely mad contact at the line.
I agree it was a nice throw and catch, but it was our starting CB against their 3rd string QB & WR...

I hate to imagine what Brady and Moss will do, or Palmer Chad and TO, or Brett and Co...... We face some serious passing threats this year.

They are showing their hand, our 1st string was in there cause we cant execute. Its very disappointing to me.

Sorry if it seems negative, but I have been waiting a long time to root for a quality team, and was very excited about Parcells & Co... But the team has looked like swiss cheese so far, hopefully it changes next week

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:30 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Famous words - we will be fine.
I suggested that we were not going all out this preseason in another thread.
I think this team is better than past teams & will be in every game with a chance to win in the 4th quarter. I know road division games are tough but I just dont think Buffalo is a good team & I see us blowing them out.
I know our starters looked awful going against backups last nite but that is just one of the problems from the past .... playing down to your opponents.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:37 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Its still happening, so its a problem of the present..

We need some consistency, and Henne needs to take hold of this offense.

Also I really don't know what to say about our offensive line last night... It was scary bad...

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:46 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

dolphan74 wrote:
did you see the coverage smith had.... IT WAS A PERFECT THROW... HE HAD GREAT COVERAGE!!!..Wow....yeah we suck!!!! why do some of you even root for the team if all you do is complain and naysay all the time.... doesn't seem like a fun past time....I am so excited for week 1... we will see what a Mike Nolan D is all about!!!

Ugh.... someone suffers from severe homeritis.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:56 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
dolphan74 wrote:

Ugh.... someone suffers from severe homeritis.

Good for you dolphan74. Rich how you gonna dislike someone because of their disease? You're only allowed to do that with alcoholism. Every other condition needs encouragement; "dolphan, you keep telling Sean he had great coverage. We'll get through this season together. One arguable play at a time"

This preseason was terrifying to me! Look, I like the idea of working out the kinks now & using this time to practice with our weaknesses because it doesn't matter yet. But where does our winning attitude & team confidence kick in? I mean, practice is one thing but planning to win is another. We looked like we were at the mercy of other teams, with no hope of taking it to anyone in the future. I hope the coaches do have the greatest poker face of the preseason because we look like we got a pair of 2's in hand

Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:27 am

At the end of the day, we're all fanatics and it is hopelessly incurable. I'm with Finesse. There'll be ups and downs this season but this team should be in the bulk of the games on their schedule and have a chance to win them in the end. It'll make for an exciting season; albeit a nerve wracking one. I'm still waiting for the beer commercial to show why we really drink so much on fall sundays :)

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I know it is preseaon, but our first team offense looked awful vs. their 2nd and 3rd team. We should have been able to score on all three drives not get 1 FG and two 3 and outs. I love my Dolphins, but man I was not happy. Then to have their 3rd string QB rack up a little over 300 total yds and looked like a started vs our #1 defense. It all is really disheartening. Hopefully we will rebound and look much better. Also WHY WHY WHY do we not throw fades to Marshall in the corners of the end zone when we are down in the red zone. I think I need to coach them...lol

:jests:

Chip

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:18 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

TSIF... that stands for the sky is falling crowd....i think you would only be happy if we won every single game 56-0....other then that you complain and byotch and moan... that's your right... but sure doesn't sound fun to me... and rooting for my favorite team is fun for me... not something that i dislike doing!!!..there is not one team that doesn't have questions coming into the season... not one!!!! But I can tell you there isn't one team that we can't compete with on the field talentwise!!! Hell last year we could have easily beat the Saints and Colts....the 2 Super Bowl teams....seems we have got a lot better this year... so to all the doom and gloomers... :ann0y: .. please look at one game on the schedule and tell me that you see us having zero chance at winning...we have an extremely young team... guess what the Niners won there first superbowl with an all rookie secondary....the biggest difference from 08 to 09 was the turnovers....last year we gave it up a lot more and caused a lot less...winning this battle will determine where we go this year....and we did a good job of that in the preseason...so I maybe a Homer and some of you maybe TSIF crowd... but as long as there aren't any personal attacks we are all good here !!! :grin:

Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:05 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

To be 100% honest, I don't think our coaching staff is bluffing. Yes, I believe we hold back a lot of the offense. Yes, I think there's a lot of stuff that hasn't been shown.

But at the end of the day, players get out on the field and they do what their paid for. Brandon Marshall, Brian Hartline, Devonne Bess and Ricky have all dropped really catchable balls in preseason. I would like to think these guys simply have too much pride to do that.

There's an aspect here that I don't think is fully understood: THIS IS PRESEASON. It doesn't count, at all, and I could imagine as a player, looking forward to a long season, I wouldn't want to be going all out... especially if it didn't count.

So although there is a chance we have a 'poker face', I don't think we're that sly. I think there are som very realistic facing the team, but we're facing them NOW and not at the beginning of the regular season, which is where we usually have our slump.

There are questions at every single position on our football team. Every single one.

If there's one thing I know about our current organization, it's that they have an uncanny way of motivating their players, week to week, (not AFC Championship to Superbowl) to win games and move on.

Am I worried? Yes. I'm less optimistic than I have been in past years. But that is because expectations are so high.

So in closing...

I'd rather NOT have a poker face, and I hope the coaches aren't playing poker for the mere fact that they can start facing these issues.

That means we can actually DO something about it rather than having things be all nice and easy.

Our record in preseason this year 2-2.

With Cam Cameron 4-0.

Preseason means nothing at the end of the day.

BRING ON THE BILLS (Which ARE NOT the pushover everyone makes them out to be. They kicked our @$$ last year, AND they got better)

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Our offensive line looks like a revolving door and our secondary like swiss cheese. We got some serious problems that can't be explained away with 'vanilla play calling' because its preseason.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]