All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

He's one of my favorite players, but last year we saw something in him that was BAD. He showed that he is a "me" player when he doesn't get his way. You don't ever quit in a game. Ever.

Dave Hyde wrote:
4. ... that's cutting Reshad Jones when health allows. If winning mattered next year, Jones would be kept despite another shoulder surgery which he announced Friday. But winning isn't the first issue and Jones cut himself by quitting against the New York Jets last season. Throw in the injury and him being regularly late to meetings and you've got the kind of headache you don't hand a new coach. The real problem here is Adam Gase was allowed more control after the 2016 playoff season and rewarded players with dumb contracts. Jones is Exhibit A with $11 million of his $13 million guaranteed for 2019. Another $4 million of his $11.5 million contract for 2020 gets guaranteed on the third day of the new league year in March. Pass the aspirin. But if this is a new start, make it one.

Read more here: https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:16 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

You hate to lose Jones because he always seems to come up with a big play. But he's turning 31 and I can buy that he'd rather not sit through a rebuild.

Miami needs a true free safety because McDonald is best in the strong safety role and Fitzpatrick is elite in the slot. If Miami is going more nickel and dime packages they'll need to beef up the secondary. Trading Jones probably can get you a 2nd Rounder and I'd use that to try and grab a top free safety prospect (if they choose to part ways).

The cap ramifications are irrelevant because they are going to free up something ludicrous like $80 million after all of their cuts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:42 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Dave Hyde wrote:
The real problem here is Adam Gase was allowed more control after the 2016 playoff season and rewarded players with dumb contracts. Jones is Exhibit A with $11 million of his $13 million guaranteed for 2019.

How quickly people forget that was a highly praised move.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:16 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
You hate to lose Jones because he always seems to come up with a big play. But he's turning 31 and I can buy that he'd rather not sit through a rebuild.

Miami needs a true free safety because McDonald is best in the strong safety role and Fitzpatrick is elite in the slot. If Miami is going more nickel and dime packages they'll need to beef up the secondary. Trading Jones probably can get you a 2nd Rounder and I'd use that to try and grab a top free safety prospect (if they choose to part ways).

The cap ramifications are irrelevant because they are going to free up something ludicrous like $80 million after all of their cuts.

:yay:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:17 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

jammer wrote:

Agree with all of this.

Quote:

And are scheduled for $90 million in cap space in 2020 so they can afford to June 1st him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:22 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:

I was actually thinking that Fitzpatrick would move to free safety, and move McCain back to the slot where we dumped a big contract on him to play. McCain on the outside is not good.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:51 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
I was actually thinking that Fitzpatrick would move to free safety, and move McCain back to the slot where we dumped a big contract on him to play. McCain on the outside is not good.

I think Miami is going to identify what people do best and play them in those roles rather than shift them around to fill needs. Fitzpatrick does his best work in the slot and is the best player on the team for it. McCain is a slot corner but his role may be reduced, regardless of how much Miami is paying him. He very well could be an overpaid backup or package player unless Flores really thinks Minkah is better at FS or SS.

Its going to be different than what we are used to seeing because previously Gase and Tannenbaum had to make "their guys" work to justify the acquisition or prove their system is the correct approach. Flores will have a very clean slate and the time to evaluate who stays, who goes and where people should play.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:50 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I like the idea of Fitzpatrick on the field more at free safety. I think he can be elite there as well.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]