Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
By Armando Salguero

Grier was asked if a report saying the organization will be moving on from Tannehill is fair and accurate.

“No, I don’t think that’s fair because Brian just got here,” he said. “You really need whoever is going to be his offensive coordinator and the rest of the offensive staff, which is not finished, to let them sit down and evaluate the roster and look at him. Because maybe they say, “Hey’ we’ve got something here we work with and fix,’ if people think there’s something wrong with him.
“So I would say that’s not fair. There’s been no decisions made. I’m not making anything. I’m not giving my opinion on the players. I’m letting them watch and then we can get together and talk about what we think.” …

What happens if these new assistant coaches get the notion they can “fix” Tannehill? Is Grier going to put $26 million in cap space investment on the line and ride or die with Tannehill? Again? …

It’s not their jobs to make that call. It is Grier’s call. …

“All the candidates we interviewed presented, really, how they would attack the next three months leading up to the draft and then training camp and stuff,” Grier said. “It was, as you’d expect, detailed.” ...

“He liked some of our pieces, going up against us the last couple of years, especially some of our offensive pieces he liked a lot,” Grier said.
So, I’m guessing a detailed plan … must have included an opinion on whether the Dolphins should keep or cut loose Ryan Tannehill. …

maybe he thinks putting it out there that the Dolphins might keep Tannehill would increase the quarterback’s market and worth. …

according to one prominent NFL personnel man, Grier might regret his words.
“He said the new coaches would study Ryan and see if they could fix him,” the personnel man said, “but they’re offering him in trade, so they must think they can’t fix him. They might have actually given someone a reason not to do it.” ...

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Imo if Grier can't make a call on Tannehill by now then he is not much of a GM.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:05 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Yes I agree. Like the Flores hire but the Ross / Grier press conference was awful. They looked lost.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:57 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

AQNOR wrote:

Quote:
“No, I don’t think that’s fair because Brian just got here,” he said. “You really need whoever is going to be his offensive coordinator and the rest of the offensive staff, which is not finished, to let them sit down and evaluate the roster and look at him. Because maybe they say, “Hey’ we’ve got something here we work with and fix,’ if people think there’s something wrong with him.

Is this confusing?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:33 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I read it and agreed with 'Mando. I don't know what game Grier is playing, but Tanny is out of here.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:29 pm 

Big Dave wrote:
I read it and agreed with 'Mando. I don't know what game Grier is playing, but Tanny is out of here.

I don't see a "game" being played here.

It all goes back to the question - who can we get that is better?

There is a lot of running with what is being said going on with the media in Miami.

"We're going to build thru the draft rather than spend big money on free agents" = "The Dolphins are having a fire sale and plan to suck for the next couple of years!!!!"

They aren't planning on sucking for the next couple of years. They are planning on changing their approach to a more long-term philosophy. There is a possibility that in doing so, they might suck for the next couple of years. There is also a possibility that Miami surprises and overachieves early on in Flores's tenure. There is also a possibility that Miami uses this draft first approach and we still suck in 5 years and are on coach #14.

There is a possibility, albeit remote, that the Dolphins decide to keep Tannehill for one more season because there isn't a clear cut better player that they can acquire out there at the position. I have no problem with Grier giving the new coaching staff the opportunity to evaluate all players and letting them have input.

What's the rush to cut Tannehill? If we aren't planning on being big spenders in free agency anytime soon, then we don't need to trip all over ourselves to clear cap space.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:47 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Flores has seen T Hill play in person on over a dozen occasions.

I think his mind is made up...

That being said, it’s the week after the Super bowl. No one is surprised to see him still on the roster.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:02 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Quote:

Is this confusing?

Lol nice swipe .

I just don't agree, only my opinion. He is the one who is tasked with making the call and is in a much better position to do so. If he can not evaluate a player after being around him for seven years i don't think he is a good GM. Maybe I have the wrong idea or expect too much from a GM it makes me wonder if he has a definite plan for the team. If his plan is to let the staff make the calls then why do you need him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:28 pm 

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Flores has seen T Hill play in person on over a dozen occasions.

I think his mind is made up...

That being said, it’s the week after the Super bowl. No one is surprised to see him still on the roster.

His mind may be made up that he is not the future, but that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t want to keep him one more year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Quote:

Is this confusing?

Lol nice swipe .

I just don't agree, only my opinion. He is the one who is tasked with making the call and is in a much better position to do so. If he can not evaluate a player after being around him for seven years i don't think he is a good GM. Maybe I have the wrong idea or expect too much from a GM it makes me wonder if he has a definite plan for the team. If his plan is to let the staff make the calls then why do you need him.

Good GMs work with their coaches to build the roster. This isn’t a binary scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:00 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Could be that Flores sees the same thing I do, IE a porous OL that has been the biggest reson for offensive failures

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:52 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Relive1972 wrote:
Could be that Flores sees the same thing I do, IE a porous OL that has been the biggest reson for offensive failures

Yep, we saw the problems that Sean McVay in the Super Bowl. A superb QB such a Goff looked like a deer in the headlights facing a heck of a lot of pressure.

I have no doubt that Tannehill is out of here, and I think the decision has already been made. He has become part of the problem.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:54 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

AQNOR wrote:

On the money. Amidst all this coming and going of new names Grier remains the questionable piece here and thus the team’s future hangs on the balance. It doesn’t matter who the coach is, who the assistants are and what team they came from, since 1996 we’ve had them all, from A to Z, and what has remained consistent in the team’s failure has been lack of talent, most notably at the QB position. One just has to look at the drafts after JJ left.

There is no reason to trust Grier’s acumen to turn this personnel around, his draft day ability to wheel and deal and not be snookered by the rest of the league. His being here since for ever, throughout all the losing, remains the black mark he has to somehow erase. Can he do it? I for one I’m doubtful. Ross cleaned house except for Grier I believe because it was the convenient half-a** move, typical Ross, not being able to go all the way. Keeping Grier allowed Ross to not get neck deep in change. A search for new meat at top of the football food chain would have been too much upheaval and Ross took the easy way out.

If Tannehill isn’t gone day 1 when whatever cap laws allow for the best situation for Miami then folks, this drought will challenge even the misery experienced back in the day by Red Sox and Cubs’ fans.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:11 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Relive1972 wrote:

Excuses, excuses. Tannehill has had them all and some that with your help didn’t even exist. The only thing he’s mastered is getting people fired while he collected unearned millions. Now, I’m sure he’s a fine young man and didn’t intend to take over for Carlos the Jackal, but just as this team has erased Tennenbum from the picture they must also erase the stink of the Tannehill years. I can’t conceive these new coaches starting with the same giant hole in the middle. It would be suicidal and for what? More 6-10 years? As a transition to the next one? What the *&^%* FOR!! Pluck any prospect from any UPS driving school and we’ll be in the same boat without all the cringing, excuse making, what-ifs, etc., etc. But if somehow these new coaches do? If they do then they are nowhere near the solution either and shouldn’t be buying houses nor putting down roots as they will become just another pelt in Tannehill’s coach killing belt.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:11 am 

carreramia wrote:
If Tannehill isn’t gone day 1 when whatever cap laws allow for the best situation for Miami then folks, this drought will challenge even the misery experienced back in the day by Red Sox and Cubs’ fans.

I believe Tannehill could be designated a June 1st cut right now (someone fact check me). We save $18.75M in cutting him and there is some carry over spread out for next year. If the plan was to absolutely cut him and get the most bang for our buck, it could be done today versus dragging it out til June 1.

I believe the new coaching staff could also decide to keep Tannehill for one more year as a bridge QB while they acquire a QB of the future. I think Grier giving the new coaching staff the opportunity to evaluate him and everyone else and determine how those players could fit in their system is the right thing to do. Too many organizations have gone dysfunctional because the coach and GM are not on the same page and in many cases it is the GM imposing his view of the team on the coach and the coach choosing to leave (see San Francisco with Harbaugh as a recent example).

At this point, if the plan is to no longer spend in free agency and expect some probable growing pains with this approach, what does it really matter who is or isn't on the team? This isn't going to be the team 2-3 years from now.

In 2020, the team is on schedule for over $90 million in cap space anyway. So whether they decide to eat Tannehill's base salary for one more season is irrelevant. He's the 17th highest paid QB in the NFL anyway. What is eating one more year of salary really going to matter in this "rebuild"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Quote:

Is this confusing?

Lol nice swipe .

Good GMs work with their coaches to build the roster. This isn’t a binary scenario.

I think good GMs make the right call. Grier said see if they can fix him I wonder if these guys want to say no we are not good enough coaches to fix him.

If Grier thinks Tanne should go and the coaches want to keep him then what? Or vice versa. If he has no opinion one way or the other then he was a bad hire imo. He made it sound like to me the coaches have the final say. He could have just said decisions on personnel will be made at the appropriate time. Sure get their evaluation to see if they can evaluate qb talent but let them know I will make the call. Now it seems to me he has put it on the staff. Can they fix him. At this point Grier should make the call not brand new staff.

I still think he is in the best position to make this call.

Just some thoughts i have about the situation.

I thought the situation would be different with new structure but it seems like it may be the same or similar. I forgot maybe that Grier has been signing off on the moves that have been made in the past so the Phins are in the situation they are with him being fine with it I guess.

Still trying to work out what I think of the Grier structured Phins.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:31 am 

AQNOR wrote:
I think good GMs make the right call.

Well if hiring Flores was the right call, then he should trust him enough to allow him to have input in which players he can work with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:37 am 

AQNOR wrote:
If Grier thinks Tanne should go and the coaches want to keep him then what? Or vice versa. If he has no opinion one way or the other then he was a bad hire imo. He made it sound like to me the coaches have the final say.

Again, you are viewing this through a binary lense.

Is it not possible that he could say Tannehill should be cut and the coaches disagree and they discuss to come to a consensus? Why does it have to be that either he makes the decisions or they make the decisions?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:58 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

For everyone who is pounding the table to draft Tua or Fromm...

If Tannehill plays like he did the final three weeks of this season then he'd be worth every penny to guarantee you a top 2 pick next year.

The Jaguars made it to the AFC Championship game with Bortles so it isn't impossible to do the same with Tannehill. We all know they won't get there because of him, but he may have enough positive moments to help if the defense is top 10 and they run the snot out of the ball. Now the difference is Miami would have to recognize that type of result would not be perennial thing with Tannehill at QB. Jacksonville did nothing to build behind Bortles last year. Miami can't make that same mistake if they hang on to Tannehill for 2019.

I personally think he is gone. The PR department is already trying to get you to believe Jake Rudock will be the next diamond in the rough who will keep this team competitive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:43 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
If Grier thinks Tanne should go and the coaches want to keep him then what? Or vice versa. If he has no opinion one way or the other then he was a bad hire imo. He made it sound like to me the coaches have the final say.

Again, you are viewing this through a binary lense.

Is it not possible that he could say Tannehill should be cut and the coaches disagree and they discuss to come to a consensus? Why does it have to be that either he makes the decisions or they make the decisions?

Well I think we already have seen Grier work with a consensus model and it has given us the current situation with the Phins. Hopefully the non binary consensus model is the best one and the Phins have the right pieces to make it work.

I would have liked someone to have said no to Cutler.

Thinking about it I would like to hear what Grier would have done different if Gase's contract would have been written differently if nothing them I am not a fan.

I wonder if Shula, Jimmy J., Parcells, Belichick, Polian, Elway, McKenzie work/worked with a consensus model or did they call the shots and make the decisions.

Maybe the consensus model also has a great track record of success that just don't come to mind or maybe I have the wrong idea about the whole thing.

I am thinking someone with a strong and definite vision of what the team should be who makes the call might be better than forming a consensus. Maybe I am more used to seeing that model work in the business world and the spirit of people committed to their vision overcoming obstacles when the consensus is they should quit or try something else. Maybe I am generalizing to much hard to be as objective abut my own opinions as I would like to be.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:56 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
a pattern has become clear and a mold has been cast for owners: Find the consensus-builder, the unifier, the personality manager. That gives you the best chance to build what Reese and the Giants have, which is a healthy work environment for everyone.

"You have to be able to manage people, to trust people, and to trust the relationships you've built," said one NFC GM. "If you make everyone feel like they have a legitimate voice, you've got the best shot to make it work. If you start locking people out of the room, you make it difficult for them to buy in."

"It's all about the team," said an AFC GM. "If you have a guy who's an a-hole, who won't hand anyone the keys, you're not gonna have the true concept of what team is in your building. ... If you're gonna come in and be a Neanderthal, what good is that gonna do? You wanna bring a place together. You want everyone to feel involved. If everyone's a part of it, everyone does their job at a higher level."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... k-14-notes

Quote:
DETROIT LIONS
Over time, the family has shown patience uncommon in the NFL, with leaders like Wayne Fontes and Millen. And the Fords push for an inclusive process in running the club.

MINNESOTA VIKINGS
Spielman and Frazier have organized a consensus-based system of decision making, with a renewed emphasis on the draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -nfc-north

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:58 am 

AQNOR wrote:
Well I think we already have seen Grier work with a consensus model and it has given us the current situation with the Phins. Hopefully the non binary consensus model is the best one and the Phins have the right pieces to make it work.

I would have liked someone to have said no to Cutler.

Thinking about it I would like to hear what Grier would have done different if Gase's contract would have been written differently if nothing them I am not a fan.

Grier reported to Tannenbaum and Gase reported to Ross.

Grier just got promoted. People are quick to forget these facts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:02 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I think Ross and Grier need some diplomatic, crisis response, speaking with the media tutoring. Neither one should come within 100 feet of a microphone until they at least get their Toastmasters Certificate. Most of the heartburn on this site right now is what the two decided to say publicly, very poorly. But right now, rhetoric is all we have.

The first big move by a new GM is to get their coach. The first big move by a new coach is to get their QB. There are a few outliers to this adage, but not many.

Grier has new powers. He's worked with Gase. Gase is gone. Flores is in.

I would think Flores would want at least a couple weeks to see if he wants Tannehill for the year or not. Is there enough to work with on defense to win a few games or do they go with Rudock and mail in a 3-13 season?

As for trade value depletion due to a comment, I think we've gone from Tannehill bringing in a low 6th Round pick to a high 7th Round pick because of Grier's unaccustomed tongue wagging. Hopefully he'll get his media act together quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:49 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

carreramia wrote:
Relive1972 wrote:

Excuses, excuses. Tannehill has had them all and some that with your help didn’t even exist. The only thing he’s mastered is getting people fired while he collected unearned millions. Now, I’m sure he’s a fine young man and didn’t intend to take over for Carlos the Jackal, but just as this team has erased Tennenbum from the picture they must also erase the stink of the Tannehill years. I can’t conceive these new coaches starting with the same giant hole in the middle. It would be suicidal and for what? More 6-10 years? As a transition to the next one? What the *&^%* FOR!! Pluck any prospect from any UPS driving school and we’ll be in the same boat without all the cringing, excuse making, what-ifs, etc., etc. But if somehow these new coaches do? If they do then they are nowhere near the solution either and shouldn’t be buying houses nor putting down roots as they will become just another pelt in Tannehill’s coach killing belt.

So now I'm just making stuff up? Are you saying there has been no problem with the OL for the length of Tannehill's tenure here? All of those times defenders were on top of him as soon as he was hiked the ball were just my imagination? Was I also making up PFF's ranking of Miami's guards at dead last in the NFL? No, the problems with Miami's OL is very real and no QB you put behind it is going to have success. So if you everyone wants to tank this next season, just leave the OL as is and you will get your wish.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:57 pm 

AQNOR wrote:
a pattern has become clear and a mold has been cast for owners: Find the consensus-builder, the unifier, the personality manager. That gives you the best chance to build what Reese and the Giants have, which is a healthy work environment for everyone.

"You have to be able to manage people, to trust people, and to trust the relationships you've built," said one NFC GM. "If you make everyone feel like they have a legitimate voice, you've got the best shot to make it work. If you start locking people out of the room, you make it difficult for them to buy in."

"It's all about the team," said an AFC GM. "If you have a guy who's an a-hole, who won't hand anyone the keys, you're not gonna have the true concept of what team is in your building. ... If you're gonna come in and be a Neanderthal, what good is that gonna do? You wanna bring a place together. You want everyone to feel involved. If everyone's a part of it, everyone does their job at a higher level."

Forcing your own decisions on the coach you just hired without giving him a chance for input is a terrible way to build a consensus model.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:58 pm 

jgod1 wrote:
Toastmasters Certificate

I did Toastmasters for a year. I found it utterly useless. But that's because instead of having professionals coach me on speaking, I had peers who knew nothing about public speaking doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:11 pm 

jgod1 wrote:
As for trade value depletion due to a comment, I think we've gone from Tannehill bringing in a low 6th Round pick to a high 7th Round pick because of Grier's unaccustomed tongue wagging. Hopefully he'll get his media act together quickly.

I think the best offer we would have gotten for Tannehill is an 8th round pick. Grier's comments made it a 9th round pick.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:43 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I'm glad someone caught the Toastmasters comment.

I was leaning toward a Dale Carnegie Certificate but thought that might be a little too antique.

It doesn't look like Ross and Grier haven't been coached. It looks as if they've been coached by people who know nothing about speaking publicly to the media and have no idea what to expect for questions.

For me, this is where all the perceived problems have come from this offseason. Either not being clear enough with the message and tone you want to convey, or not being vague enough with what you don't want known.

I like the physical moves so far. With everyone wanting offensive minds, bucking the status quo and grabbing a defensive guy could pay good dividends and put us ahead of the next hiring curve.

Hopefully the QB, free agent market, and draft moves make sense too. That would be a change.

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]