View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 I like our D 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post I like our D
Even though we lost that game (who cares it's preseason) and gave up a TD to White in the 1st half I think if that was a regular season game we would have won. Our D was close to sacking Ryan on a lot of plays with out blitzing. We stuffed the run and Vontae Davis in a BEAST. He will set himself apart this year from other CB's (Smith) and make the pro bowl. If we could wake up Sean Smith this D will be just as good as Denver's was last year. I like our D and watch as they improve from week to week.

Do you guys think Sparano will play the starters more this week? I've heard Dallas will play there starters on O because they've looked terrible and this is the team favored to win the SB.....calm down Dolfans we will be fine this year.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:02 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: I like our D
MdDolfan wrote:
Even though we lost that game (who cares it's preseason) and gave up a TD to White in the 1st half I think if that was a regular season game we would have won. Our D was close to sacking Ryan on a lot of plays with out blitzing. We stuffed the run and Vontae Davis in a BEAST. He will set himself apart this year from other CB's (Smith) and make the pro bowl. If we could wake up Sean Smith this D will be just as good as Denver's was last year. I like our D and watch as they improve from week to week.

Do you guys think Sparano will play the starters more this week? I've heard Dallas will play there starters on O because they've looked terrible and this is the team favored to win the SB.....calm down Dolfans we will be fine this year.

I agree. If a second CB to opposite Vontae can emerge, and Chris Clemons can hold his own in center field, this defense can be BETTER than Denver's was a season ago.

The Broncos were 3rd in the NFL in pass D; not sure if we can match that, but our run D should be much better than what their's was. The personnel is in place. The question is whether Nolan can get consistency out of them.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:11 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Don't forget Will Allen will be returning soon.

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:09 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Ski_Money wrote:
Don't forget Will Allen will be returning soon.

Hopefully sooner than later and healthy! How long do you guys think our O will play next week in Dallas?

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:23 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

MdDolfan wrote:

Hopefully sooner than later and healthy! How long do you guys think our O will play next week in Dallas?

Just a couple series from what I have heard, but nothing official yet...

Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:22 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

As long as thiers I bet. They're both in about the same shape.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:37 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

It's looking more and more like we should have kept Andre Goodman and cut Will Allen. Another interception in their pre-season game for Goodman, took it yard too.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:39 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

MdDolfan wrote:
this D will be just as good as Denver's was last year.

Denver's rush defense was terrible, which is a big reason why they were ranked so highly against the pass.

Denver's rush defense ranked:

26th in yards per carry
26th in yards per game
22nd in attempts per game (meaning teams preferred to run against them because they knew they could)

They also gave up over 20 ppg, which puts them right smack dab in the middle of the road.

Not exactly a high target to aim for.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:14 am

IamPZ wrote:
It's looking more and more like we should have kept Andre Goodman and cut Will Allen. Another interception in their pre-season game for Goodman, took it yard too.

Nah. Will Allen can play in the slot. Goodman can't.

Plus, Allen was already under contract for two more seasons. Goodman was a FA who got way too much money from Denver.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:47 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Goodman was a FA who got way too much money from Denver.

At the time we all thought that to be the case, but Goodman had 5 picks (more than anyone on the Dolphins) and 17 passes defensed last year.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:11 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Will Allen can play in the slot.

When was the last time Will Allen actually played? Plus who's to say we're looking for a slot guy.

Sean Smith has been anything but impressive this pre-season, he could use some time in the slot.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:17 am

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Will Allen can play in the slot.

When was the last time Will Allen actually played? Plus who's to say we're looking for a slot guy.

Sean Smith has been anything but impressive this pre-season, he could use some time in the slot.

Playing in the slot is a lot harder than playing outside. Your job description is a lot different; You have to be smarter and a lot quicker as there is less reaction time, and you have to be a lot better and more aware against the run as well.

I'm not going to go further than that because I don't know the X's and O's, but Sean is an outside guy. Will Allen has the ability to play in the slot, and right now we have a shortage of that. Jason Allen couldn't handle it, and Nolan Carroll is trying to learn it in his rookie season, which is very rare. That's why they traded for Sapp, they need some depth at that spot because if Allen is not healthy, they've got nobody to play in the slot.

If Smith continues to regress, there is no doubt that's a big loss. Not sure who would replace him. Unfortunately it might be Jason Allen...

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:32 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Quote:
Playing in the slot is a lot harder than playing outside. Your job description is a lot different; You have to be smarter and a lot quicker as there is less reaction time, and you have to be a lot better and more aware against the run as well.

I'll disagree here. The dynamics of the CB position are much more demanding than defending the slot. The nickle guy is rarely responsible for any run duties and his primary function is to shadow, man-to-man, the slot WR. I do agree the DB needs to be quick which I think rules guys like JA and Sean Smith out. Both of those guys are tall and have speed but have struggled to cover shifty slot WRs. A smaller guy like Will Allen, and hopefully, Sapp would do better in that position.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:49 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Nah. Will Allen can play in the slot. Goodman can't.

Based on...

Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:42 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I am going to reserve my opinion on our "D" until we actually see them blitz and use more of a full game plan....probably won't see that until week #1 in Buffalo.

The secondary does not impress me thus far....unless we can duplicate Vontae Davis. I think we are still going to be very susceptible to the big play in the passing game, unless that blitz scheme really will generate significant pressure on the QB.

Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:04 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

susceptible to the big play based on what ?? .... our starters haven't given up hardly any this preseason.... I could see if we gave up 59 like the colts did last week.... were is all this our secondary sucks stuff coming form... not from what they have done on the feild.. that's for sure!!

Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:07 pm

dolphan74 wrote:
susceptible to the big play based on what ?? .... our starters haven't given up hardly any this preseason....

It would seem to me you haven't watched the preseason games. Our starting secondary has been toasted for 20+ yard plays a handful of times this preseason.

Even Coach Sparano commented on it.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:51 am

It is hard to compare anything between this year's group and last years in preseason. But if you're going to compare first half points scored and points given up, here they are.

Last season through 3 games, first half points scored - 19
Last season through 3 games first half points given up - 26

This year
Scored - 30
Given up - 29

More meaningless drivel
yds given up last year - 830
yds gained - 813

This year yds gained - 791
Yds given up - 845

If you're looking for improvement that might carry over into the season, look no further than the turnover ratio. Miami is currently plus 7. The defense is young, gives up the yds and a few plays but seems to give our offense the ball a lot more than it did last season. That could be huge going into the season. Teams with opportunistic defenses usually fair well despite what the rest of the numbers say. The Saints Defense last season gave up a ton of points and yards but also got turnovers by the bushel. Let's hope that carry's over into the season. Everything else...looks pretty status quo. Henne can't find his best WR with any consistency and doesn't throw downfield enough. The defense is fairly stout on most plays but gives up the mind-numbing 3rd and a country mile plays. There's a lot of youth and new faces so the team as a whole should get better as the season progresses.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:02 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
If you're looking for improvement that might carry over into the season, look no further than the turnover ratio. Miami is currently plus 7.

Even that I wouldn't look into too heavily. The Buccaneers not only have young quarterbacks with sucky players around them, but they were in the slop. Fumbles and slicks footballs were everywhere. Go back and look at how many Miami forced, and how many Tampa Bay just gave away.

There should be a stat on forced errors like in Tennis.

Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:56 pm

The plus 7 isn't just from the Bucs Game and weather, like it or not, is part of the game. Every year there is a team that just seems to benefit from a lot of "unforced" turnovers. I'll take it and just hope it continues.

Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]