View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Camp Dolphins Day 17: Light Starting To Come On For CB Jason 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Camp Dolphins Day 17: Light Starting To Come On For CB Jason
Quote:

“I think that Jason has been a really good surprise right now,” said Head Coach Tony Sparano, who applauded Nolan’s decision to move Allen back to cornerback. “Sometimes it takes a little longer for a few guys just for the light to completely go on, but I’ve seen this guy getting better and I’ve said that. I don’t know if he’s all the way there yet or he’s not all the way there yet but I do know that if I were judging on contested balls in this training camp right now, I would have to think that he has the most.

Sparano explained that Allen’s size is a much better fit on the outside lining up against bigger receivers as opposed to trying to cover the smaller, quicker guys like Davone Bess or New England’s Wes Welker over the middle. His straight away speed and long arms make it tougher on receivers like Randy Moss or Terrell Owens to break free and provide a clear target for their quarterback.

“In a sense I think it’s night and day,” Allen said. “I feel like I’m playing a lot more confident. I feel like I’m going out there more prepared. I feel like I’m going out there more relaxed and I’m making more plays. This is a defense where you literally have to take it as everybody has to be on the same page. You have to do your job and be accountable. Everybody has to be on the same page and everybody has to be doing there job to make this defense work, and I think we’re starting to jell together as a defensive unit.”

Since veteran Will Allen had a setback with the knee he injured early last year, Allen has tried to get the inside track on that starting nickel corner position. He is in a heated battle with rookie Nolan Carroll, a fifth-round pick out of Clemson who was more unheralded than Allen was when he was a rookie. Whatever happens, Allen knows he is in control of the outcome – and everybody will be watching.

“He’s had his hands on a ton of footballs right now, really mentally has done a really good job out there for what we’ve asked him to do,” Sparano said. “Athletically, that’s never been the case with Jason; he’s had a really good skill set, but we did bounce him from safety to corner. That skill set is a little different; those fundamentals are a little different. I think those things he’s starting to figure out now and then the mental part of it is a little different.”

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/light ... ther-notes

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:29 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Re: Camp Dolphins Day 17: Light Starting To Come On For CB Jason
I think it was a matter of keeping him at one spot and letting him get comfortable there....

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:33 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Is this another one of those "feel good" stories they like to feed us during preseason?

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
Is this another one of those "feel good" stories they like to feed us during preseason?

It could be....But he has always reminded me of Tebucky Jones...And he took a few years to come around

Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:09 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Big Dave wrote:

Big Dave busts up the man-crush pass intended for Junkie..... :embarrassed:

Haha...muh boy Allen. He's survived what Ginn couldn't.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 pm

BTW...isn't this a contract year for Allen?

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]