View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Thigpen > Henne in game 1 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Thigpen > Henne in game 1
It's only a preseason game in the slop, but I am starting to get the feeling that the quarterback has more options in front of him and they make the decision on whether to push the ball deep or not. Henne threw the ball well, but he needs to use all of his offense, not just the safe stuff.

On the other hand, Thigpen did throw a ball deep into triple coverage which should have been picked off, so, he has a side of him that makes occasional bad decisions.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Starting quarterback Chad Henne, who has star potential and must reach that potential for Miami to be championship relevant, didn't exactly shine. He looked more like a game-manager than a game-changer in completing only 5 of 11 passes for 19 yards.

While backup Tyler Thigpen, electric in that he is wildly unpredictable, seemed to threaten the Buccaneers' deep secondary on practically every throw, Henne completed only one of his passes to a wide receiver.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/15/1 ... wasnt.html

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:34 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: Thigpen > Henne in game 1
Apples and Oranges. It stopped raining when Tyler came in. The receivers started catching balls when Tyler came in. Henne was hitting people in the numbers the whole time.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:15 am
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

The weather made it tough to evaluate the passing game. Thigpen is a solid backup and his only flaw is stated exactly above. He'll make several terrific throws followed by a head scratcher.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:26 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

NFLJunkie wrote:
The weather made it tough to evaluate the passing game. Thigpen is a solid backup and his only flaw is stated exactly above. He'll make several terrific throws followed by a head scratcher.

I agree. That is why Thigpen should be named the #2. Everyone throws a head scratcher during a game. But Thigpen is a better fit for this team than Pennington as the backup.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:46 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I didn't like his decision making. Threw in to some serious coverage several times. Arm is grade A though.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:08 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

These comparisons are really dumb. Especially considering the weather and the side of the field that Henne was playing on. His guys also dropped passes. He got way less snaps and played the Bucs 1st team defense. Besides all the factors, Henne is not competing for the starting position...

On a side not I do love Thigpen and I think that he can start for a lot of other teams in this league. I hope he doesn't get traded and is our guaranteed back-up.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

That in-route that Marshall dropped (hit him right in stride) would have gone for a long ways and would have completely changed Henne's line in the box score. And, as others mentioned, the rain stopped when Thigpen came in. Not making excuses... sometimes it rains, but last night was ridiculous.

Can't wait til the Marlins are in their own stadium!

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:29 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Unfortunately for Henne he only gets to throw the football and not also catch them. If You add in a few outright drops registered by Marshall and Hartline then his stats look much better. Lets not make too much out of preseason. Thigpen is a talented player who made a couple of plays but Henne is the man.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:53 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Did everyone see the way Pat White took a knee? He made the Buccaneers defense look hopeless! Henne better watch his back this season

Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:58 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

And this time three years ago people were talking about Jesse Chatman looking better than Ronnie Brown in the preseason and practices. Guys, its the first preseason game of the year; seriously.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Henne was really hurt by the drops, but the wet ball did effect some of his throws as well. Still, I think he will be fine....if it doesn't rain a lot on Sunday this year.....

Thigpen was fine. He is a more than adequate #2 QB and his mobility adds something to the offense. He should keep Henne on his toes!!

Pat White still looks awfully small out there...despite reports of his bulking up and such. I still don't think he will be on our 53 man roster.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:38 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think the rain is a really dumb excuse.

Yes, it was coming down like crazy. The Bucs offense, young and inexperienced, was able to execute and score in the same conditions, in the same mud.

Is there something to be learned there? Sure.

But this is preseason.

The guys out on the #1 Offense will most likely all be there at #1 Offense come regular season. No reason to prove any spectacular or give away our plays.

This is a game of study and preparation as well, don't forgot. Looking mediocre in preseason can mean a bigger surprise come game day.

Some teams do this, some teams don't, but I've noted this regime of Dolphins is pretty secretive about what they show.

Bottom line, regardless of how excited I was to hear a Marshall to Henne hook up yesterday, expectations can be misleading.

We have a very good team, in the top 10 in the NFL in my mind, but this doesn't mean we can sit back while Marshall and Henne are connecting all the time.

It's going to be a long and tough season, but we have a team that can face it and succeed.

I'm looking forward to Sept 12 with a healthy, hungry team.

Dropped passes and muddy infields will make them STARVING.

Watch out Bills.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:47 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Steve Zissou wrote:
Did everyone see the way Pat White took a knee? He made the Buccaneers defense look hopeless! Henne better watch his back this season

Don't forget about the precision on that one hand-off he executed too!

Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:24 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

When Hartline dropped that pass and was looking at his hands all I could think about was this

Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:55 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

lol... Jean Claude Van DAMN!!!!

Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]