View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Rough Start 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Rough Start
Yes it is preseason game number 1. Yes it was a torrential downpour. However the Bucs looked right at home as Johnson made several big plays and his WR's had no trouble hanging onto the ball. Some observations.

The running between the tackles was pretty good with Brown and Williams getting about 4 yards a pop.
Passing game must've been hiding in the bubble all year because the weather clearly had them off balance.
The first team defense struggled to stop the outside rush and draw plays, quick screens etc. Mix in a few big plays and it was very reminicent of last season. The bucs first team offense pretty much dominated them.
It seemed 3rd and long was problematic as the bucs seemed to pick up anything 3rd and over 15.

Commentary: - everyone came out healthy and despite being outplayed, they managed a win. :pumpiron:

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:32 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: Rough Start
Hi ya all...I'm rather new here but since Junkie came out his hibernation period...I thought I'd chime in too.

The fins offense seemed rather vexed by the weather...but I ain't worried. I saw some nice runs by Ronnie. Lot of vanilla on both offense and defense. Figure we won't see the real offense or defense till week one.

Only thing that really stood out was a couple of catches by Williams and another WR whose I can't remember.

But it was nice to finally get a slice of football.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think some of you guys are looking a little too hard here for something. This game meant nothing and isn't indicative of anything. This is a chance for the guys to put some pads on and go against other players who are hungry to make the team. The first stringers don't account for much if at all. If this was game 3 or 4 of the preseason and our first team unit still looked rough, then I would have a minute cause for concern. What I'm looking for in this game are the guys who are on the bubble for making the team. Those are the ones who are fighting very hard to impress. This is where you find out what kind of depth your team has. As for Henne and some of the other starters not playing all that great; no big deal in my opinion.
I want to see players like Hilliard, Ness, Pruitt, Turner, ect.., giving it their all for a chance at a job. That's honestly all I expect from the first preseason game.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Carroll looked awfully comfortable at cornerback.....In fact, I thought he played the best of any Dolphin DB's tonight. I really think the staff needs to look very long and hard at him as a possible starter....but something tells me he will have to wait a year for serious consideration in that role. I think he makes the team easily and is a pleasant surprise. Clemons looks to be light years better than Gibril Wilson, so a plus at safety. I really thought it was depressing watching the Buc's offense handling the inclement weather better than our starters.

Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:34 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
I really thought it was depressing watching the Buc's offense handling the inclement weather better than our starters.

So how much do the Dolphins actually practice in the rain, do they go into the bubble every time it rains or only when it is lightening? Does the bubble really help, does Tampa have one?

I know it was the first preseason game but it looked like Tampa had a home field advantage for the quarter that the starters played.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:11 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I know its the first preseason game, but I was rather disappointed in the first team offense. Two drops by Marshall is not the end of the world, but it is a little alarming. If the rain is the issue, then he better fix it quick as it rains quite a bit in South Fla. I thought Henne was ok, some of his passes were crisp and right on, and a few were really off the mark. Kind of like last year. Just not a lot of consistancy overall.
The defense was ok, save the long pass given up by Vontea and the blown coverage/tackling by Smith on the touchdown. They seem to be playing the bend but don't break style but that could be due to them just getting used to each other.

I hope to see marked improvement on both sides of the ball by the next game.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:24 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

HOw about Nate Ness huh? Kid's fighting hard for that last CB spot.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:28 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I was hoping for a surprise speed demon kick returner to be there....That's not happening from anyone i saw.......

We are in big trouble....The Patriots and Jets have top notch special teams and we do not!!!!

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:45 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hey...who was that free agent we let go a year ago (was he from New Mexico??)....the one that made every catch of the punt/kick an adventure!!! He sure could run well with the ball...but I guess no one felt that he could improve his ability to catch the darn thing.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:34 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
Hey...who was that free agent we let go a year ago (was he from New Mexico??)....the one that made every catch of the punt/kick an adventure!!! He sure could run well with the ball...but I guess no one felt that he could improve his ability to catch the darn thing.

Chris Williams I think? I was wondering about him too.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:47 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The dolphins had the perfect opportunity to practice in these exact conditions last week when they had a scheduled practice at the stadium. The weather got bad (eventually cleared up), and the team called off the practice and moved it to the bubble. This coaching staff needs to prepare this team for playing in wet conditions, we are in South Florida. Hell, I saw bilicheat dunking footballs in water their first week of camp.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wet ball drills are one thing, we need some mud drills. Need to take these guys out to the glades and play some football. We will have to deal with potential mud for a while.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:13 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

The players that stood out to me were Carrol, Dotson, Turner, Wallace, and Ricky/Ronnie. Henne played as well as you can hope for preason game 1 in the rain, and besides for Smith, Vontae, and Clemon's mistake apiece, the secondary played pretty darn well. Nolan looked nasty...he's gonna be a good CB.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:55 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Ski_Money wrote:
Wet ball drills are one thing, we need some mud drills. Need to take these guys out to the glades and play some football. We will have to deal with potential mud for a while.

In Mike Dee's postgame interview he said that the Dolphins were looking into somehow covering up the infield for our early home games. It's never been done before, but it would be worth the investment.

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]