View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Expert sides with Henne over Sanchez 
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Expert sides with Henne over Sanchez
Me likey!! :yay:

Quote:
Scouts Inc. analyst Matt Williamson provides some of my favorite observations about the game. His evaluations are not only educated, but he delivers them in an insightful way.

That's why I wanted to share thoughts he expressed on Chad Henne versus Mark Sanchez in Wednesday's edition of Training Camp Chatter Live, the seemingly eternal chat on ESPN.com.

Williamson's breakdown was triggered by a question of whose future he liked better, an answer that should be no surprise to frequent visitors to the AFC East blog. Williamson and I have debated this a few times.

"Henne. By far. Not even close," Williamson replied. "Would rather have him for this season and certainly for the long term. Way better skills. Way better arm. Love his toughness. Henne is about to be a star. Haven't seen anything from Sanchez yet to indicate the same thing.

"Sanchez is the reason that I won't pick NYJ as a playoff team this year."

Chat moderator Steve Fox, sensing a strong riff ahead, prodded Williamson about why Sanchez doesn't measure up to Henne.

"Doesn't have close to the physical tools," Williamson said. "Henne can drop back, stand strong in the pocket, stare down a heavy rush as he goes through his progressions and make any throw asked of him.

"Sanchez's arm will never allow him to do that, especially in the weather late in the season for the Jets in that area of the country. Sanchez may develop into an efficient and accurate guy who can keep an offense moving with quick throws and designed QB movement, but he will never be that true thrower.

"Henne will threaten the defense at every level and will be much more difficult to prepare for. Shows the toughness to deliver the ball and the guts to try the tough throw. He can be my QB any time. And he is just a puppy -- as is Sanchez, granted."

Williamson added if the Indianapolis Colts had stuck with their starters in the penultimate regular-season game, then the Jets likely wouldn't have gone to the postseason, and we'd be viewing Sanchez much differently.

Valid point there, but that doesn't mean Sanchez's postseason experience didn't happen. He did go 2-1 on the road, regardless of how much Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer limited Sanchez's involvement.

"Not even saying it was a fluke," Williamson said in response to a chatter's comment. "But they got a break or two for sure. Plus -- and I did pick NYJ in both of their playoff wins -- but I thought Cincy and San Diego were ideal teams for them to play. Indy isn't. The Jets can't score with teams like Indy. They know it and went out and got a guy like Santonio Holmes. But still, QB is a problem until I see otherwise."

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/16079/exepert-sides-with-henne-over-sanchez

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:32 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Expert sides with Henne over Sanchez
Oh yeah... PS: :jests:

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:32 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Start at just before 26:00.....The 2 are gushing over Henne and the Dolphins over Sanchez....I love it, and they make a lot of sense in their arguments.

Needless to say I'm in complete agreement. :stiffarm:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd= ... =ESPNRADIO

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:05 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Doesn't really matter what the experts think. Until they cleat up and toss the rock, its all just gum flappin.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:54 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Sanchez did some really nice things last year and there were times he just stunk it up. I think he will be more consistent in his second year. I think he and Henne will have many years of rivalry ... hopefully to remind us of the Marino/Kelly years.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
... hopefully to remind us of the Marino/Kelly years.

Hopefully not...dang Bills got the better of us a lot with Kelly behind center.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:57 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Iowafin wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

True, but the difference was that the Bills defense was superior to our own.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:39 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

True, but the difference was that the Bills defense was superior to our own.

And they had Thurman Friggin' Thomas.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Man...that Bills' squad with Kelly was loaded....plenty of HOF'ers and HOF'ers in waiting on that team.

Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Cornelius Bennett, Steve Tasker...and plenty of quality depth....Don Beebe, Pete Metzelars.....the list goes on and on.

We had Marino and a cast of rotating backs and receivers....never had a consistent rushing attack....had an average defense...

Yes, the Bills got the better of us in those days....but how could it have been any other way with the huge edge in quality talent they had on their squad. The best squad Marino had around him was when he was surrounded by the over the hill gang from the Eagles and elsewhere....Keith Byars, Keith Jackson....Irving Fryar....now that group had potential and was dangerous for most opponents...

Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Miami always had a good offensive line in Marino's days it seemed. But the lack of talent at WR, RB, and Defense as a whole makes you wonder what life would have been like without Marino. I think Shula retires 10 years earlier than he did if he wouldn't have gotten Marino in 83.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:57 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

This is something that will work itself out through the season......hopefully both teams can stay relatively healthy so injuries will not interfere with the competition.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]