View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Ben Volin - "Remember the name Nolan Carroll" 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Ben Volin - "Remember the name Nolan Carroll"
He's all ready looking better than Jason Allen. Let's see if he can play special teams.

Ben Volin wrote:
The Dolphins may have whiffed on Pat White and Phillip Merling, but Nolan Carroll could be a home run: Carroll, a 5-foot-11 cornerback, fell all the way to the fifth round (145th pick) after missing almost the entire 2009 season at Maryland with a broken leg. But Carroll has been the surprise star of training camp so far, working his way up to fourth on the depth chart ahead of Jason Allen and picking off a pass in three of the past four practices.

Carroll, who jumped a slant pass yesterday from Chad Pennington and took it to the house, seems to be the perfect Parcells/Ireland/Sparano player. The son of military parents — his father was a senior master sergeant in the United States Air Force and his mother is now a Florida state representative after serving as a United States Navy lieutenant commander — Carroll is tough, disciplined, accountable and not satisfied with his work so far.

“I’m still making mistakes,” he admitted after Tuesday’s practice, “and I’m the type of guy that wants to be perfect. That’s the thing about me. I think that’s what keeps me driven.”

And he’s also one of the Dolphins’ more versatile players. He began his Maryland career as a receiver before switching to corner, and he has played on all four special teams units. The Dolphins are trying him out at punt returner, but he can play wing, gunner, or even on the line.

“I’m not scared to block the rusher,” Carroll said. “Special teams is what’s going to get you on the roster. The more things you can do, the better.”

Carroll almost certainly has earned his spot on the 53-man roster, and is ready to help out the Dolphins in any way he can.

“Whatever they want me to do, whether they want me to play special teams, I can do that; play nickel, I can do that. They want me to play a couple snaps at corner, then I can do that, too,” he said. “I’m very flexible, and whatever the plan is coach Sparano says he has — he pictures a role for us, and whatever he wants my role to do, I’ll do it.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... more-10802

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Ben Volin - "Remember the name Nolan Carroll"
Nolan Carroll, from what I've read, would have been a much higher draft pick had it not been for an injury. So far in camp it seems like he's doing real well. Let's see if that translates come August 14.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:01 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Ben Volin - "Remember the name Nolan Carroll"
Phins Rock wrote:
Nolan Carroll, from what I've read, would have been a much higher draft pick had it not been for an injury. So far in camp it seems like he's doing real well. Let's see if that translates come August 14.

Indeed. And more importantly, he seems to have the attitude a rookie should have when entering his league. His dad is a military man, so you have to like the pedigree! :yay:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]