View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:52 am



Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB 
Author Message
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 6928
Location: ELP, TX.
Post Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
Quote:
As much as I like Tyler Thigpen’s upside, I think it’s only a matter of time before Chad Pennington becomes the team’s No. 2 quarterback. Pennington’s accuracy made Marlon Moore look like he’s a Pro Bowl receiver on Friday.

Pennington barely works during most sessions, but when he’s in there throwing passes YOU NOTICE. The accuracy is unmatched. The reads are quick. I found it tell that when Fasano made a mistake during a team drill Monday morning he immediately when up to Pennington to talk about what he should have done.

I’d love to see Pennington work with Greg Camarillo and Davone Bess regularly.
I’m not saying Pennington should be a starter, but I am saying if his surgically repaired arm holds up he could be very good in 2010.


If you asked me right now, based on everything I’ve seen these five days, if all quarterbacks stayed healthy for an entire season which one do I believe will lead the 2010 Dolphins to move victories in 2010 (not with any future considerations)….my vote would be Pennington. And I’m not trying to stir it up. Just being real with you because his experience shows.


http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... tices.html

_________________
Image

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom


Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:28 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 4532
Location: Wellington, FL
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington become #2 QB
:hithead:

He is one of the most accurate QB's to ever play the game as well as a 10 year vet... Put him in with the 1st team and he will show Henne up on everything except the deep pass..

That being said He was kept here to play more of a coaching role then QB competition... So I wouldnt hold your breathe.. The comp is between Thigpen and White

_________________
Caveat: These are the opinions of this user, and may differ from your opinion. Please use common sense before taking offense.
Reply may contain sarcasm


Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:11 pm
Profile
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm
Posts: 6338
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington become #2 QB
The comp is between Thigpen and White


1st off, White is no comp. sorry, he sucks and he will never be an NFL QB. Thigpen ahs shown nothing so far. Upside? What upside has he shown? Pennington will be the backup, book it.


Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:16 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am
Posts: 7532
Location: Massachusetts
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington become #2 QB
Makchell wrote:
The comp is between Thigpen and White


1st off, White is no comp. sorry, he sucks and he will never be an NFL QB. Thigpen ahs shown nothing so far. Upside? What upside has he shown? Pennington will be the backup, book it.


Thigpen was the starter for KC in 2008, and torched us week 16 of that season. He also lead a near comeback vs. the Steelers in the finale after Henne went down. He's got tons of athleticism and good arm strength, and a nice deep ball. He's got a lot of upside Mak.

With you on White.

Unless Thigpen lays an egg and opens the door for Pennington, he's the back-up QB.


Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:21 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington become #2 QB
Phins Rock wrote:
Makchell wrote:
The comp is between Thigpen and White


1st off, White is no comp. sorry, he sucks and he will never be an NFL QB. Thigpen ahs shown nothing so far. Upside? What upside has he shown? Pennington will be the backup, book it.


Thigpen was the starter for KC in 2008, and torched us week 16 of that season. He also lead a near comeback vs. the Steelers in the finale after Henne went down. He's got tons of athleticism and good arm strength, and a nice deep ball. He's got a lot of upside Mak.

With you on White.

Unless Thigpen lays an egg and opens the door for Pennington, he's the back-up QB.


He also throws too many INT's. And SIP is in the process of changing his throwing motion. He's a project because of his intangibles. But, he isn't our backup.

After Pennington led us to 11 wins with a much worse team then we have now. I don't know how he isn't our backup if Henne goes down. He is a winning QB. Thigpen historically.. isn't. Though I like Thigpen and I would to see him used in the Wildcat on occasion, in place of Henne. (More options with Thigpen in there. He can run and pass)

I would bet lots of money that if Henne went down that Pennington would be the QB. We could still win lots of games with Pennington as our QB (MAYBE, even more then with Henne). You can't say that about Thigpen.

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:23 pm
Profile
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:53 pm
Posts: 3774
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington become #2 QB
Its pretty clear Henne better stay healthy & not have a so called sophmore slump. I am a bit worried that Thigpen would not be the #2. I thought he was a solid backup.
We all know the kind of guy & player Pennington is but to be honest as we found out the games he wins for you during the regular season will not translate to playoff wins plus his shoulder is very suspect. With Pennington as the starter this will also eliminate the effectiveness of Marshall. I think he (Marshall) was brought in obviously for a number of reasons but primarily because we now have a QB that can sling it. The strides that have been made will just be put on hold if Henne gets hurt or is not the player we thought he was. As with alot of other teams it still comes down to the play of the QB.

_________________
Extend Philbin!
Enough already , this is the best regime in the NFL ...by far!!
2014 Lazor Powered... THE MAKING OF A DYNASTY!!


Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8828
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington become #2 QB
hypocritex wrote:
I would bet lots of money that if Henne went down that Pennington would be the QB. We could still win lots of games with Pennington as our QB (MAYBE, even more then with Henne). You can't say that about Thigpen.


I really like Thigpen, but I see this playing out as well. Pennington's brains and accuracy are the ingredients of a Parcells ball-control offense.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:42 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:35 pm
Posts: 3392
Location: Charleston AFB, SC
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
And with a top 2 possesion WR that can turn 5 in to 20 almost every play...

I love Penny for the big turnaround, but I keep remembering that we lost 3 strait to open last year with him in. This year he is one year older, and with another surgery under his belt. I just don't know what he can do in a game. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt though. I think we owe him that.

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:46 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
Thigpen is the backup. Pennington's arm has been in trouble for how long, and now he's had another surgery on it? The guy will be lucky to throw the ball more than 30 yards. Anybody who has problems with Thigpen has to realize this guy is better than most of the quarterbacks Miami had at starter prior to Parcells coming in...he's a career backup, but second stringers aren't perfect, so get over it...that's why they are backups.

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:10 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
Iowafin wrote:
Thigpen is the backup. Pennington's arm has been in trouble for how long, and now he's had another surgery on it? The guy will be lucky to throw the ball more than 30 yards. Anybody who has problems with Thigpen has to realize this guy is better than most of the quarterbacks Miami had at starter prior to Parcells coming in...he's a career backup, but second stringers aren't perfect, so get over it...that's why they are backups.


Just like Camarillo will be the #2 WR right..

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:24 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
hypocritex wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Thigpen is the backup. Pennington's arm has been in trouble for how long, and now he's had another surgery on it? The guy will be lucky to throw the ball more than 30 yards. Anybody who has problems with Thigpen has to realize this guy is better than most of the quarterbacks Miami had at starter prior to Parcells coming in...he's a career backup, but second stringers aren't perfect, so get over it...that's why they are backups.


Just like Camarillo will be the #2 WR right..


You make it seem like that's a stretch of the imagination.

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:25 pm
Profile
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
Iowafin wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Thigpen is the backup. Pennington's arm has been in trouble for how long, and now he's had another surgery on it? The guy will be lucky to throw the ball more than 30 yards. Anybody who has problems with Thigpen has to realize this guy is better than most of the quarterbacks Miami had at starter prior to Parcells coming in...he's a career backup, but second stringers aren't perfect, so get over it...that's why they are backups.


Just like Camarillo will be the #2 WR right..


You make it seem like that's a stretch of the imagination.


Time will tell. But thus far. Hartline has worked EXCLUSIVELY in the #2 spot. Sparano has SAID that Hartline is the leading candidate because of his YAC ability.

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:32 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
hypocritex wrote:

Time will tell. But thus far. Hartline has worked EXCLUSIVELY in the #2 spot. Sparano has SAID that Hartline is the leading candidate because of his YAC ability.


Good for Hartline...you're right, time will tell, so stop making it seem like it's in the bag. As for Sparano, you'll have to find me that quote.
How many years has Donald Thomas played with the first team in camp, only to end up on the bench later?

Paul Soliai started in practice today. So did John Jerry.

It's been what, three or four days of practice?

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:38 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 6928
Location: ELP, TX.
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
Quote:
Finally, I've been saying for months how the WR job opposite Brandon Marshall was Brian Hartline's to lose. That is what I was told would be the situation.

But Sparano today pulled back the curtain on why that is so, on why it is Hartline that is getting first dibs on the spot.

"Honestly, it's run after catch," he said. "He had some big plays for us with his hands on the football running the ball so there was a little bit of that there."

Sparano cautioned that just because Hartline has the job today doesn't mean he'll keep the job.

One would expect the Dolphins coach to say exactly that on the fourth day of training camp. That's why they call it competition.




Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z0vVOMoC8X


Quote:
(On what about Brian Hartline made him decide to pair him with Brandon Marshall) – “Well, it’s just honestly, at the end of last season when you looked at what Brian did, Brian had good run after catch, he had some big plays for us with his hands on the football, running with the ball. There was a little bit of that there, as you looked at it right now, when you had to put a starting lineup out there today, and you’re putting two receivers out there, Brian’s run after catch, those things, I think were pretty good.

Now is that the way it’s going to stay, we’ll see as we get going here. We feel like no matter what, we have four of these guys, five of these guys right now that we feel like could be in the mix in a rotation and a couple of the young guys that we really want to see. I have no way of knowing it’s going to stay like that. It’s been like that for a couple days, and who knows, it might change later.”

(On whether this is because he knows what he will get from Greg Camarillo and wants to see what Brian Hartline will give him) – “No, I kind of feel like I have a good idea of what I’m going to get out of Brian right now. He made some big plays in some big situations. I know what I’m going to get out of Camarillo; I pretty much know what I’m going to get with (Davone) Bess and these kind of guys.

I don’t have a problem with that; it’s not about trust, honestly with any of them. A little bit more about production at the end of this whole thing and who will play. I mean the most productive guy will play, but they’ll all have roles someplace or another. In other words, somebody’s got to go out and play that third receiver on third down and somebody’s got, so they’ll all have roles. I think there’s a big enough piece of the pie there for everyone.”


http://www.miamidolphins.com/content/co ... cript-8110

_________________
Image

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom


Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:45 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
Thanks Hen. I think that sums it up. Hartline is in there at the moment because of his run after, but it isn't anything set in stone.

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 am
Posts: 4144
Location: The Bluegrass
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
Iowafin wrote:
Thanks Hen. I think that sums it up. Hartline is in there at the moment because of his run after, but it isn't anything set in stone.


Unless Hartline is head and shoulders above Cam, I go with Cam. Dude catches everything.

_________________
A good RB is nice, a good QB even better, but it's best to be able to stop someone first.


Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:47 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm
Posts: 955
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
Iowafin wrote:
Thanks Hen. I think that sums it up. Hartline is in there at the moment because of his run after, but it isn't anything set in stone.


In there at the moment.. How did you glean that from that article. The thing you should have gotten is.. It's his job to lose. I'm done with this. You'll see.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:26 am
Profile
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 5439
Post Re: Sentinel: Matter of time before Pennington becomes #2 QB
hypocritex wrote:
Iowafin wrote:
Thanks Hen. I think that sums it up. Hartline is in there at the moment because of his run after, but it isn't anything set in stone.


In there at the moment.. How did you glean that from that article. The thing you should have gotten is.. It's his job to lose. I'm done with this. You'll see.


He was asked why Hartline was given first dibs....

First dibs usually means someone else will get a shot. At first, I wanted Camarillo to win the job because I love his hands and his reliability, but now I want him to win it because you're being so ridiculous about it and I'd love to see you eat crow.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:36 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AQNOR, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.