View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 Miami signs Micah Johnson 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Miami signs Micah Johnson
http://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/20246610633

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :runwiththeball: :yay: :yay: :runwiththeball:

My favorite prospect in this past year's draft. Not sure how he fills the void of Edds as far as coverage, but man do I love this guy's overall game.

On the other hand, he must have really laid an egg in Giants camp if they cut him...

Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:36 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Miami signs Micah Johnson
He actually did well in camp. And from what I hear he wasnt fully recovered from his injury. He was let go to make room for draft picks. Im sure his injury slowed him some. But, I am totally stoked about this signing. Before the injury.. this guy had high 2nd to 1st round talent.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:42 pm

hypocritex wrote:
He actually did well in camp. And from what I hear he wasnt fully recovered from his injury. He was let go to make room for draft picks. Im sure his injury slowed him some. But, I am totally stoked about this signing. Before the injury.. this guy had high 2nd to 1st round talent.

He was the 2nd best ILB in this past year's draft, IMO.

Two years from now our starting ILB's will be Dansby and Johnson, if not next season.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Check out the dude's biceps in the first clip. Micah would give Cam Wake a good ol' arm wrestle.

Look at 4:15 of that clip...That's Anthony Dixon that he leveled. Dixon is thought to be the next Brandon Jacobs by some...

Oh how greatness can come out of tragedy...

Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:09 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's CBS Sportsline's Draft Analysis on Micah Johnson. I don't get it ... why all the hype from you all on him? He looks to be training camp fodder to me.

Quote:
Read and React: Highly aggressive run defender. Can be beaten with effective play-action. Typically diagnoses run plays, showing the burst to slice through the line and stop the back for a loss. Feels blockers coming and protects himself from cuts. Sniffs out screens and draws. Rarely out of position against the run.

Pass defense: Only marginal straight-line speed and is stiff when asked to change direction in coverage. Shows at least adequate instincts for zone, but isn't a natural in this area.

Pass rush: Good size and strength to rush the passer. Typically relies on a simple bull rush, but can get under the pads of the blocker and push him into the pocket. Times his blitzes well and shows a closing burst when the ballcarrier is near.

Run defense: A decided strength in his game. Reads the action and shows a good initial burst to slice through the gap and close to make the tackle at or near the line of scrimmage. Good size and strength to take on and shed blockers, though he needs to be more consistent. Has a tendency to play too upright and can get locked up by blockers, but has good strength to disengage when he keeps his pad level low. Flashes the strength to pull down the ballcarrier with arm tackles while engaged with blockers. At his best playing in the box, as he has only moderate speed to beat the back to the sideline. Protects his knees from the cut block by sprawling and keeping his head on a swivel.

Tackling: Typically a strong, secure tackler in tight quarters and in space. Forceful hitter who has shown the ability to force fumbles, but could do a better job of wrapping up securely, as he'll launch himself into the ballcarrier (but also the potential to miss tackles). At least moderate lateral quickness and balance to break down in space and make the reliable open-field tackle on elusive ballcarriers. Good hustle laterally and downfield to make the play.

Intangibles: Has had multiple knee injuries, including one that required arthroscopic surgery in 2007 and twice losing time in 2009 to MCL injuries. Suffered his latest MCL injury in the final moments of the loss to Clemson in the Music City Bowl. Suspended in the spring of 2007 due to academics.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1116921

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
Here's CBS Sportsline's Draft Analysis on Micah Johnson. I don't get it ... why all the hype from you all on him? He looks to be training camp fodder to me.

Quote:
Read and React: Highly aggressive run defender. Can be beaten with effective play-action. Typically diagnoses run plays, showing the burst to slice through the line and stop the back for a loss. Feels blockers coming and protects himself from cuts. Sniffs out screens and draws. Rarely out of position against the run.

Pass defense: Only marginal straight-line speed and is stiff when asked to change direction in coverage. Shows at least adequate instincts for zone, but isn't a natural in this area.

Pass rush: Good size and strength to rush the passer. Typically relies on a simple bull rush, but can get under the pads of the blocker and push him into the pocket. Times his blitzes well and shows a closing burst when the ballcarrier is near.

Run defense: A decided strength in his game. Reads the action and shows a good initial burst to slice through the gap and close to make the tackle at or near the line of scrimmage. Good size and strength to take on and shed blockers, though he needs to be more consistent. Has a tendency to play too upright and can get locked up by blockers, but has good strength to disengage when he keeps his pad level low. Flashes the strength to pull down the ballcarrier with arm tackles while engaged with blockers. At his best playing in the box, as he has only moderate speed to beat the back to the sideline. Protects his knees from the cut block by sprawling and keeping his head on a swivel.

Tackling: Typically a strong, secure tackler in tight quarters and in space. Forceful hitter who has shown the ability to force fumbles, but could do a better job of wrapping up securely, as he'll launch himself into the ballcarrier (but also the potential to miss tackles). At least moderate lateral quickness and balance to break down in space and make the reliable open-field tackle on elusive ballcarriers. Good hustle laterally and downfield to make the play.

Intangibles: Has had multiple knee injuries, including one that required arthroscopic surgery in 2007 and twice losing time in 2009 to MCL injuries. Suffered his latest MCL injury in the final moments of the loss to Clemson in the Music City Bowl. Suspended in the spring of 2007 due to academics.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1116921

Dave.. before his injury. Some had him as 1 of the top 3 ILB's in the draft.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Haha, well I like the signing, but I'm not as sold on him as Phins Rock. He could be a very good player, but as far as being the go-to guy next to Dansby I'm just not sure. He's maybe not as long as you'd like him to be, but I've always been the one to not care about size.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:20 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Iowafin wrote:
Haha, well I like the signing, but I'm not as sold on him as Phins Rock. He could be a very good player, but as far as being the go-to guy next to Dansby I'm just not sure. He's maybe not as long as you'd like him to be, but I've always been the one to not care about size.

I'll go out on a limb and say he doesn't make the team lol

Let me elaborate... he might make the special teams squad. He's small, or at least he looks small in the video... and he doesn't tackle well.

Hardly any of the tackles I saw in that video were solid wrap and drive sort of tackles. He'll bounce right off of the RB in this league tackling like that... and let's not get started on all the shoe string tackles... he'll do a real good job of untying peoples shoes and that's about it if he keeps that up.

If he can't make a Giants squad that seems pretty weak in the LB area... I doubt he makes this one.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:33 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Quote:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1116921[/quote]

Isnt that the area our ILB's struggled with last season??

Its the reason Edds was a good pick up in the draft....

Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:54 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

PZ, the kid is 6'1, 259 lbs, so I don't consider that small. Micah Johnson is a classic inside thumper at ILB, he not AJ Edds. He struggles in coverage, but is good against the run.

We'll see how he does and were his knee is, which is a key for Micah.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:30 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

He was pretty nasty for Kentucky.......I like the signing

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I must say I'm excited about getting Micah Johnson. I'm not sure how well he'll do, but I really wanted the Phins to snag him in the draft. So, with that being said this is great news to me. I believe that his hard nose style of playing the position will help out and I think that last year out ILB's got pushed around to much. Hope AJ gets healthy, but for now I'm pretty excited.

GO Phins!!! 11 days till preseason

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:10 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Phins Rock wrote:
Dixon is thought to be the next Brandon Jacobs by some...

Don't know if that would be a compliment or an insult. Plus, Dixon is MUCH smaller than Jacobs.

Jacobs = 6'4", 275 #
Dixon= 6'0", 230 #

Dixon may just be more like a Ronnie Brown?

Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:34 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

If he is that great, why is he on the street still?

Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:45 pm

Makchell wrote:
If he is that great, why is he on the street still?

Thank goodness I'm not the only one... holy snikeys

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:05 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
If he can't make a Giants squad that seems pretty weak in the LB area... I doubt he makes this one.

i completely understand your logic, but what about like Ike Francais? He was dumped by the lowly Lions, and it's not like they can afford to lose talent, let alone a 2nd rounder. Then he comes Miami and he gets a lot of praise (not that praise equates playing time (see Gibril Wilson, etc.))

I know PR likes to hype guys up unnecessarily, but he was pretty good in college. I can't speak to the Giants releasing him, but sometimes guys just don't fit in well in one place but flourish in another...sometimes guys flourish in one place and are still let go...Mike Nolan?

This is one guy that I'll sit back and see what happens because I don't know how good he'll be. I'm just arguing for both sides here lol

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:29 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

John Randle, Sam Mills, and Kurt Warner are just a few guys that went on to have great careers and were never drafted and in the case of Warner & Mills, had to go the extremely long route to get to the NFL.

Not saying Micah Johnson will come close to what those guys achieved, but you can find talent that has been released from other rosters or guys that were not drafted.

Miami needed to sign a kid to fill the spot and Johnson certainly fits the profile of a thumper at ILB. Give the kid a chance before you pass judgment, especially if you are not familiar with the kid and the SEC.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Wes Welker was signed by San Diego after going undrafted despite a great college career, and then released by them. I think we all know the rest of the story...

I didn't like the fact that Micah signed with NY because I thought him to be more of a 34 ILB; not a 43 guy. I think his best attribute is taking on and shedding blocks from OG's, which is exactly what is called for in a 34. Also, I don't care how he's bringing them down...those are 1v1 open field tackles on SEC tailbacks and he's bringing them down. Plus, even if his form is a little off, that's very teachable.

But we'll see. Of course because I've said all these things about him he'll be cut in the next couple of days. Lol. Hopefully he makes the Practice Squad at the very least. I can't see him making the roster over Dobbins or CC, nor can I see him making it as a 4th ILB when he's so similar to those 2 guys. But next year, keep your eyes out because he'll be coming at Channing for his job; I guarantee it.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:57 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Phins Rock wrote:
http://twitter.com/OmarKelly/status/20246610633

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! :runwiththeball: :yay: :yay: :runwiththeball:

My favorite prospect in this past year's draft. Not sure how he fills the void of Edds as far as coverage, but man do I love this guy's overall game.

On the other hand, he must have really laid an egg in Giants camp if they cut him...

Maybe great! maybe not... :grin:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:08 am

Phins Rock wrote:
Also, I don't care how he's bringing them down...those are 1v1 open field tackles on SEC tailbacks and he's bringing them down. Plus, even if his form is a little off, that's very teachable.

Sure it's teachable... a lot of things are... but a lot of the time its hard to get a guy to completely throw out his natural instincts to do things the way you want him to.

Big whoop he brought down SEC backs... this is the NFL where every legit back hits harder, runs faster and plays smarter.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:44 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

IamPZ wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:
Also, I don't care how he's bringing them down...those are 1v1 open field tackles on SEC tailbacks and he's bringing them down. Plus, even if his form is a little off, that's very teachable.

Sure it's teachable... a lot of things are... but a lot of the time its hard to get a guy to completely throw out his natural instincts to do things the way you want him to.

Big whoop he brought down SEC backs... this is the NFL where every legit back hits harder, runs faster and plays smarter.

Have you ever seen him play!? Believe me when I say this 6'1 Johnson is a MOUNTAIN of a man at 6'1. His fundamentals do need work.. sure. But, most College players do. He will have NO problem tackling NFL players. RB's. QB's. TE's. Not a problem at all. Guy is a HITTER.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:36 am

hypocritex wrote:
Have you ever seen him play!? Believe me when I say this 6'1 Johnson is a MOUNTAIN of a man at 6'1. His fundamentals do need work.. sure. But, most College players do. He will have NO problem tackling NFL players. RB's. QB's. TE's. Not a problem at all. Guy is a HITTER.

I saw the "highlight reel" and was not all that impressed. If he ends up being a nice addition, then great, but I'm not going to soil my pants over him like some of you :ann0y:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:04 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

If he were all that, then why did the Giants let him go?

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:21 pm
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:

I think it was a combination of not really being right for the 43 D and all the bodies the Giants have at the position. Somebody mentioned that they needed to make room for all the rookie LB's. But like I said earlier, why did San Diego cut Wes Welker? Things happen.

I know that I'm over-hyping and over-rating him, but I really think Miami just got a big time steal with this guy.

BTW, PZ, check this clip out...this is Backbreaker like. Dude is POWERFUL.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

I think it was a combination of not really being right for the 43 D and all the bodies the Giants have at the position. Somebody mentioned that they needed to make room for all the rookie LB's. But like I said earlier, why did San Diego cut Wes Welker? Things happen.

I know that I'm over-hyping and over-rating him, but I really think Miami just got a big time steal with this guy.

BTW, PZ, check this clip out...this is Backbreaker like. Dude is POWERFUL.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:26 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Looks like he relies on his strength and doesn't wrap up the ball carrier. That won't work in the NFL. Hopefully that's something he can be taught.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:03 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

okay jp you can jump for joy now that your boy micah johnson has made the final roster

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:55 pm

mikey wrote:
okay jp you can jump for joy not that your boy micah has made the final roster

:yay: :stiffarm: :runwiththeball: :yay: :yay:

Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]