View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Sparano would like Favre to be a memory 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Sparano would like Favre to be a memory
Tim Graham wrote:
Sparano would like Favre to be a memory

Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano has gotten singed his share of times by Brett Favre.

But Sparano is not necessarily buying Tuesday's hot rumor that Brett Favre will retire.

"Well, I'll believe it when the season starts and he's on that couch somewhere out there," Sparano said "All I know is we're going to Minnesota in Week 2. So I hope he's ... We'll see."

Sparano spent five years as a Dallas Cowboys assistant, crossing paths with Favre several times. Favre's season with the New York Jets coincided with Sparano's rookie year with the Dolphins.

"Facing him with the Jets, facing him in Dallas, facing him in a lot of places I've been," Sparano said, "there were times where with Brett you kind of felt like it was seven-on-seven out there and nobody was on the other side.

"The throws he made, some of the plays he made ... I remember in Dallas, us having him in the grasp a few different times. He spun out one time, spun around, kind of had him again. We thought he was down. Next thing you know he flips this thing up and he makes a big play on us.

"Then we see this thing down here [at Sun Life Stadium] in the first game that I coached [for the Dolphins], in my first at bat, and this thing goes up in the air and ends up coming down into somebody's hands."

The last play Sparano referenced came in his head-coaching debut, Favre's first game for the Jets in 2008.

Jets kicker Mike Nugent was sidelined with a leg injury, forcing the Jets to go for it on fourth-and-13 from the Dolphins' 22-yard line in the second quarter. Favre escaped what appeared to be a certain sack and threw a high, arcing desperation lob toward the end zone. Chansi Stuckey came down with the ball just inside the goal line for a touchdown. The Jets went on to win 20-14.

The Dolphins went on to win the AFC East, clinching it with a victory over the Jets in the regular-season finale. But prior to that, when the Dolphins were clawing their way toward the finish line, I asked Sparano if he still thought about Favre's play.

"That wakes me up some nights when I'm trying to sleep," Sparano admitted.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/ ... avre-leave

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]