Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:22 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

http://draftanalyst.com/february-4-two-round-mock-draft

Pauline is one of the best in the business but I nearly puked when I saw his 2nd Round pick for Miami.

1st Round - Christian Wilkins DL Clemson

2nd Round - Damien Williams RB Alabama

He has Miami passing on Kyler Murray in Round 1, and, no QBs selected in Round 2 (which I think is a likely outcome). RB is one of the stronger positions on the team and I don't see them passing on OL, DL or secondary talent in Round 2.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:58 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
http://draftanalyst.com/february-4-two-round-mock-draft

Pauline is one of the best in the business but I nearly puked when I saw his 2nd Round pick for Miami.

1st Round - Christian Wilkins DL Clemson

2nd Round - Damien Williams RB Alabama

He has Miami passing on Kyler Murray in Round 1, and, no QBs selected in Round 2 (which I think is a likely outcome). RB is one of the stronger positions on the team and I don't see them passing on OL, DL or secondary talent in Round 2.

I don't like the second round pick either. Hey Jammer off topic question is Andy Isabella going to be the next guy to light it up for the new england patsies?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:15 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The Pats seem to turn UDFAs or late round guys into the next big slot player. Isabella looks like he'd get drafted Day 2. There is excellent WR depth in this draft.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:05 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:

Did anyone of these draft "experts" not see our offensive line woes last year? We could be losing 3 starters (even though two were on IR). I don't see how we let RT Ju'Wuan James leave even though he's not consistent, but I guess that is another discussion.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:15 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:

Did anyone of these draft "experts" not see our offensive line woes last year? We could be losing 3 starters (even though two were on IR). I don't see how we let RT Ju'Wuan James leave even though he's not consistent, but I guess that is another discussion.

My only guess is that they think Miami will use a cheap stop gap option at RT. As for Harris, its possible Pauline thinks Miami will use him like LA has used Gurley while a young QB develops. I just don't like the pick when I don't know that he is a difference maker in the mold of Gurley or Barkley. Miami should be fine with Drake and Ballage, plus there are a ton of solid RBs who won't be drafted that could be added to the group.

Grier's comment about 3 good players as opposed to 1 great makes me think Miami will be trading back quite a bit. They could really load up on potential starters in Round 3.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:19 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I agree Jammer. I don't think RB is a need especially in the 2nd rd. We need OL and DL.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:06 am 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

I've watched the kid his whole "career" at Alabama. Hard to find a bigger Bammer than me.
My vote? NO.

I'd be sad if that was our second pick.
I can however, live with the Round 1 pick.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:57 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Important thing to keep in mind (as I sift through other mocks) is that these guys are just plugging holes with needs. They can't be experts on every team. Rarely do I see them taking into account how a guy actually fits as opposed to "well he's and edge rusher and Miami needs that."

Another note I saw was that 24 undrafted free agents appeared in the Super Bowl. That's a pretty darn good testament to both coaching staffs. You don't have to target a position, just find guys who love football and who have a skill set you can work with.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:54 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Something else to possibly keep in mind.

Quote:
… What is Chris Grier’s roadmap …

“You have to build through the draft,” Grier said in 2016. “Obviously they have to be your foundation.” …

Exceptions can be made, “But if you have a vision for what your team wants to be, you stay with it,” Grier said.
Fine, so how does Grier judge young talent? He has been consistent during the past three drafts stressing themes:
• Guys who “love football.”
• Best-available over need.
• Alphas.
• Intelligence.
• Leaders. Preferably team captains.
• Players from big-time programs used to the big stage.
• Did we say guys who “love football”? …

“I hate when people say, ‘It’s a weak draft in this area’ and stuff,” Grier said a year ago. “It’s an excuse because guys don’t want to do the work or try and find guys.” ...

There are limits to the “best available.”
“You’re still looking at your roster because we’re building it for the Dolphins,” Grier said. “We’re not just saying, ‘Hey, the NFL says this guy is the best player so we’re going to put him up at No. 1.’ ”

https://www.dailycommercial.com/sports/ ... i-dolphins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:07 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

jammer wrote:
Important thing to keep in mind (as I sift through other mocks) is that these guys are just plugging holes with needs. They can't be experts on every team. Rarely do I see them taking into account how a guy actually fits as opposed to "well he's and edge rusher and Miami needs that."

Another note I saw was that 24 undrafted free agents appeared in the Super Bowl. That's a pretty darn good testament to both coaching staffs. You don't have to target a position, just find guys who love football and who have a skill set you can work with.

What I would love to see consistently in scouting reports for guys Miami picks this year is:

Hard worker
Overachieves
High motor
Smart
Able to adapt
Tough

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:41 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Whenever anyone starts quoting BPA as a draft strategy, I always think back to Matt Millen drafting all those WRs for the Lions.

I think BPA through the first 3 rounds could end up being D-line, O-line, D-line which wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Wilkins, Jenkins, Omenihu maybe?

We've got a couple months of rumors coming. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:06 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

These guys don’t get paid enough to take thoroughly scouting for almost 3 dozen teams seriously. I barely look at mock drafts outside of the most knowledgeable diehards within the fan base itself. These dudes that get paid to cover all 32 just can’t do it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:54 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

jgod1 wrote:
I think BPA through the first 3 rounds could end up being D-line, O-line, D-line which wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.

Its a very good draft to restock your OL and DL. I'd say DL/DE and CB are the most likely BPA if Miami stays at 13. Depends on if there is a run on edge rushers in the top 10 or if teams go QB crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

jgod1 wrote:
Wilkins, Jenkins, Omenihu maybe?

Omenihu is getting 1st Round discussion after the Senior Bowl. He checks all of the mental and physical boxes teams look for, and he can line up in different spots. Don't be shocked if you start seeing him mocked to Miami in the first round in the next month.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:47 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I like a lot of what I've been reading about Wilkins, and with Flores as our head coach he seems to be a perfect fit in our 4-3/3-4 scheme..

Scott Wright wrote:
Wilkins surprised many by returning for his senior season despite being projected as a likely Top 50 pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. That was a wise decision as Wilkins anchored the most talented college defensive line in recent memory and won a national championship while becoming a better player and pro prospect. Wilkins is capable of getting the job done versus the run and pass due to a nice blend of athleticism and strength. A bit of a positional ‘tweener due to a lack of ideal length, Wilkins could fit as a defensive tackle in a 4-3 scheme or defensive end in a 3-4. Fortunately he has experience and good tape at both spots.

Heck, he may even double as a fullback;) See 1:37.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/mock-draf ... ft/page/2/

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:05 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Pauline updated his mock and added the 3rd Round.

1st - Christin Wilkins DL Clemson

2nd - Damien Harris RB Alabama

3rd - Hakeem Butler WR Iowa State

I can't say I agree with this but he's as plugged in as anyone when it comes to draft information.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:10 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Will Butler really last until the 3rd?

He's huge. And can catch.

I was figuring on a Tyre Brady or Keelan Doss type later if the Dolphins went WR.

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]