All times are UTC-04:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:41 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse, don't say the "next Tom Brady" just yet even though he was a 6th round draft pick (I know you;) Brady didn't get demoted to the practice squad. Anyways, he beat out ex'Canes QB Brad Kaaya with the Lions, so, that says something.

Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins added a second developmental quarterback to their roster on Friday night, signing former Detroit Lions quarterback Jake Rudock.

Rudock, 6-3, has thrown five passes in his three-year NFL career, all in 2017, when he served as Matt Stafford’s backup. He completed three of those passes for 24 yards and an interception.

Rudock, who signed a one-year deal with the Dolphins, led St. Thomas Aquinas to a state and national championshp in 2010 and enrolled at Iowa, where he threw 34 touchdowns and 18 touchdowns and completed 60 percent of his passes in two years at a starter.

He then transferred to Michigan in 2015, where he threw 20 touchdowns, nine touchdowns and completed 64 percent and won MVP of the Citrus Bowl in a win against the Gators.

The Lions selected him in the sixth round of the 2016 draft. He was initially on the practice squad, then joining the 53-man roster in late November.

He beat out former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya to be Stafford’s backup in 2017.

But he was released before the 2018 season opener and spent the year on the Lions’ practice squad.

Rudock joins Ryan Tannehill and Luke Falk as the Dolphins’ quarterbacks under contract for 2019.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:14 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think what is interesting about Rudock is that it was Caldwell's decision to have him back up Stafford. When Caldwell was fired, his replacement Patricia put him on the PS. It is rumored that Caldwell may be Flores choice as OC ... and I would be very happy with that. I thought he did a good job with the Lions as HC and a very good job as OC with the Colts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:04 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Falk was Gase's guy so there is no guarantee he stays. I think connecting the dots on Caldwell/Rudock makes sense. He just becomes the new Falk.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator

OK But great to see this team still killing it in the off season. Do your job!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's his predraft "hype".

Quote:
Overview

In his only season under coach Jim Harbaugh at Michigan, Rudock threw for 3,017 yards and 20 touchdowns (both numbers were career-highs). Rudock transferred to Michigan after being the starting quarterback at Iowa for two seasons, 2013-14.

Pro Day Results
40-yard dash: 4.85 seconds
Vertical: 29 inches
Broad jump: 9 feet, 3 inches
Short shuttle: 4.31 seconds
3-cone: 7.06 seconds

Analysis
Strengths
Showed growth as a passer in each of the last two seasons. Has experience in pro­-style attack and operated under center on almost half of his dropbacks in 2015. Rhythm passer who found his groove at the end of the season with 12 TDs over final four games. Sound mechanics that give quarterback coaches something to work with. Consistent accuracy numbers short, medium and deep. Keeps ball tucked to body near shoulder level and comes to balance to deliver his throws. Shows ability to step and drive throws into middle of the field. Confident climbing the pocket and keeps eyes trained on his target. Deep shots have touch and accuracy tied to them.

Weaknesses
Very average arm strength when forced into field side throws. Doesn't have arm to get away with late throws. Ball doesn't always come out on time forcing receivers against sideline. Needs to get better at leading receivers to keep defenders out of the catch point. Can be slow to work through progressions. Tends to keep reads restricted to one side of the field. Interceptions come when taking unnecessary chances with the ball. Has bouts of pocket anxiety when internal clock starts counting down.

Draft Projection
Round 7 or priority free agent

Sources Tell Us "Looked like a different player from the beginning of the season to the end. You have to consider that (Jim) Harbaugh was able to get more out of him and that an NFL coach might be able to do the same thing." -- NFC East scout

NFL Comparison
Scott Tolzien

Bottom Line
Rudock benefited in Jim Harbaugh's pro­-style attack that allowed Rudock to find some downfield success in play­action. Rudock has natural accuracy, but needs to improve ball placement and quickness through progressions since he doesn’t have the arm strength to fit throws into tight, downfield windows. Rudock's impressive pro day on the heels of a strong finish to the 2015 campaign makes him a third-day draft possibility with backup potential.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/ ... id=2556232

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:21 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson wrote:
So what are the Dolphins getting in new developmental quarterback Jake Rudock, the former St. Thomas Aquinas star who has thrown five passes in three NFL seasons and spent last year on the Lions’ practice squad?

“He’s a smart guy,” Caldwell said when he coached him in Detroit, adding that by bulking up, his arm got stronger.

Rudock outplayed Matt Cassel in preseason last year, completing 68 percent of his passes, throwing three touchdowns and posting a 91.5 passer rating. But Lions coach Matt Patricia opted to keep Matt Cassel as Matt Stafford’s backup because of Cassel’s experience.

“He’s a really talented guy,” Patricia said last offseason about Rudock. “He’s got a strong arm. Has an element to him of athleticism that’s a problem.”

In fact, he averaged 4.5 yards per carry on eight carries for the Lions in preseason last season.

Rudock and Luke Falk give Miami two developmental quarterbacks in their system this offseason.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:58 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Has bouts of pocket anxiety when internal clock starts counting down.

Sounds like RT with a weaker arm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:12 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
Has bouts of pocket anxiety when internal clock starts counting down.

Sounds like RT with a weaker arm

You're being nice, Mak. Usually you'd be saying "training camp fodder" by now.

:haha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:11 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I laughed when I read “backup potential” in his evaluation summary.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I laughed when I read “backup potential” in his evaluation summary.

Yeah. You really know you’re screwed as a pro player then.

;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:27 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Watched some of his Michigan highlights and the kid has some playmaking ability. Of course every college QB's highlight film looks awesome.

He has enough arm to hit all of the throws, but you wonder about his ability to read defenses and put proper touch on certain types. Also a very good athlete who can escape the pocket and make throws on the run.

I'm not hoping for great things but I do recall his name being brought up as a late round sleeper to keep an eye on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:43 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Or Dave he sucks!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:30 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I was able to watch a couple videos of his throws both at Michigan and preseason work in Detroit (not just highlight reels).

Arm looked much stronger after some NFL development. He also can run but doesn't pretend to be an athlete playing QB.

A few too many checkdown throws in Detroit but he wasn't playing with guys who would make the final cut. If "the tank" is on I wouldn't mind seeing him start a few games to show what he can do.

He's turning 26 this month so he isn't old by any stretch. I know I've been pushing for maybe Stick or Stidham on Day 2, but I see enough to work with in this kid. He never had a prayer of unseating Stafford so maybe he can be a good backup or spot starter in Miami.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:29 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Just in case the Dolphins declare Rudock the starter, these are his highlights from the 2015 Michigan season.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:03 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Watch Miami try to tank with Rudock and he becomes Fiedler 2.0 guiding them to a playoff berth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:10 pm 

NE South. May as well add a Michigan QB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:13 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Does he ever throw more than 15-20 yards downfield?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:16 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Haha Mitch

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]