Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Carson Wentz An Option?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:02 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Before you call me crazy, this isn't my idea. Benjamin Allbright is suggesting the Broncos should call Philly about Wentz because Foles seems to be loved by teammates and he keeps performing under pressure. When responses told him he was nuts he simply said everybody has a price.

If Philly asked you for 3 First Rounders to get Wentz's services, would you?

I've used the argument for Derek Carr that you at least know he can handle the NFL speed. Wentz has also shown he can handle it. Would you give up those first rounders and maybe more?

Philly could ride Foles and maybe package up those picks and move up for Tua or Fromm next year (in case you were wondering why they would do that).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:25 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Three first rounders? For a guy that keeps ceding to his back up because he can't stay healthy?

No effin way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:35 pm 
Admin | Forum Design
Admin | Forum Design

3 first round picks to put a injury prone guy behind this offensive line? I'm out on that.

I like Wentz don't get me wrong, but not at that price. He'd get destryoed behind the current o-line situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:13 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Injury prone & high priced???

Sounds like the Dolphins way.... I am curious to see if that trend left with tannenbum.... I sure hope so

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:28 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Funny, as I was driving home from work the Boston sports talk guys were bringing this same subject up but for New England. If Foles gets Philly back to the Super Bowl the radio guys are saying NE should make Wentz Brady's successor.

What if Philly asked for this year's first rounder and Xavien Howard (who you are in line to pay a fortune to if he wants to be in Miami)?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:55 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wentz looked like a natural protypical pro passer since day one. I don’t know how serious the injury is but if several doctors said it was nothing real ominous to his future I’d pull the trigger on two 1sts with 4th round change. 100%.

IF his medical future looked good.

jammer wrote:
What if Philly asked for this year's first rounder and Xavien Howard (who you are in line to pay a fortune to if he wants to be in Miami)?

Yes. Highly doubt they would give Wentz away for that price though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:09 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:

Yes. Highly doubt they would give Wentz away for that price though.

Well I figured the price would be nuts so the 3 first rounders is what came to my head and I do wonder if Ross and Grier would be desperate enough (maybe 2 firsts and a second instead).

Howard would fetch a 1st and early Day 3 pick in my opinion, so he's basically what you were proposing - 2 firsts and a fourth.

Again, I doubt any of this is happening but its funny that a lot of people today (even reasonable ones like Allbright) are suddenly theorizing a Wentz trade market. I don't think Foles will have the trade price Philly is looking for (they supposedly turned down a 2nd rounder).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:19 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

As unrealistic as it is, who cares. It’s fun to talk about. Kinda intriguing actually.

jammer wrote:
I don't think Foles will have the trade price Philly is looking for (they supposedly turned down a 2nd rounder).

I wouldn’t either. He’s their Super bowl MVP and trending that way again for a consecutive season. He wouldn’t be going anywhere for less than a 1st.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:01 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Wentz is going nowhere. Philly is crazy for the guy. He has had some bad luck with injuries, but between him and Foles, Wentz is better hands down. Foles can pull it together for the playoffs, but in a 16 game season, he isn’t AS impressive.
Agree with remarks about him getting shredded behind our line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post subject: Carson Wentz An Option?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:05 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

As an aside, while he isn’t as coveted a prospect coming out as Wentz was, his successor is available in this draft. Easton Stick is the winningest QB in FCS history and 4 time National Champion. He is also the top rushing QB in NDSU history.

Stats: http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/pla ... ?id=240869

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:56 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

When I hear top rushing QB I stop listening.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:17 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:

Ha. Well, he's more like Wentz running than some of the others.

This kid is a legit NFL prospect. He is playing in the Shrine Bowl so we'll get a better idea of his height, weight, hand size, etc. Has all the tools but only listed at 6'2 which I guess some are holding against him (as opposed to all the 6'4 and up crowd)/

He has Jimmy G written all over him in terms of small school guy with very good film and jumps into Day 2 of the draft.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:34 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Jimmy G.
I would say the jury is still out on him
Yes showed promise with NE but we all remember Cassell.
Went 5-0 the season before last but lets face it teams did not have much tape and much to go on him.
After a full off season went 1-2 before getting hurt with a close win over Detroit. Teams had time to game plan for him
Im not saying he wont be a successful QB but im not sure I would give him all this due just yet.
He might be a huge big money bust for the 49ers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:06 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

FINesse wrote:
Jimmy G.
I would say the jury is still out on him
Yes showed promise with NE but we all remember Cassell.
Went 5-0 the season before last but lets face it teams did not have much tape and much to go on him.
After a full off season went 1-2 before getting hurt with a close win over Detroit. Teams had time to game plan for him
Im not saying he wont be a successful QB but im not sure I would give him all this due just yet.
He might be a huge big money bust for the 49ers.

I'm thinking more of his status as a prospect (small school, good performances, under the radar guy who gains momentum during the evaluation process).

I have no idea if Stick can handle the pressure of the NFL. I was a huge Jimmy G supporter but he very well could be like Tannehill in that defenses figure him out quickly and adjust.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:19 am 

Easton Stick can make some sick throws.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
Easton Stick can make some sick throws.

Kouffman loves this kid and has posted a lot of his videos on YouTube.

I know we inflate the value of QBs every year but it wouldn't be disappointing for Miami to do their homework on him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:18 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

This kid is a legit NFL prospect. He is playing in the Shrine Bowl so we'll get a better idea of his height, weight, hand size, etc. Has all the tools but only listed at 6'2 which I guess some are holding against him (as opposed to all the 6'4 and up crowd)/

He has Jimmy G written all over him in terms of small school guy with very good film and jumps into Day 2 of the draft.

I say that because if your QB is a top his position in rushing yards, he is clearly looking to run. It may be cute for awhile but it’s a liability at the pro level if that instinct isn’t contained.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:

I say that because if your QB is a top his position in rushing yards, he is clearly looking to run. It may be cute for awhile but it’s a liability at the pro level if that instinct isn’t contained.

Let me just say that Stick is a disciplined passer. He is NOT a run first guy or a dude that looks to scramble if his first read isn’t open. NDSU runs, and very successfully I might add, a pro style offense. They are a run first team. Most of Sticks runs came as designed plays, not improvisational runs. He has demonstrated that he can stay in the pocket and make the throws, extend plays with his legs, and throw it away when nothing is there. While I won’t mistake him with Peyton Manning when it comes to the passing game, he shows good decision making, and the ability to make difficult throws.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:03 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Allbright continuing to fan the flames. Like the rest of us he is asking himself if he is crazy for thinking this but keeps concluding that Philly has a QB who fits well and could land a boat load of draft capital for Wentz.

Miami already has a good relationship dealing with Philly.

Allbright guessing two 1st Rounders and then some to get Wentz.

If by some miracle this comes to fruition I'd have to say I'm on board by offering 2019 and 2020 1st Rounders plus maybe a pair of 3rd Rounders as well.

Clearly you'd have competition from a lot of teams including NY, Jax, Was, Den, Cincy, and maybe NE. Of that group I think Jacksonville would make the strongest move because they could deal young, cheap players along with picks (Jalen Ramsey???).

From a financial standpoint, Philly would eat some dead money but be penalized. They are currently 12 million over the cap for next year. Maybe you take a couple of bad contracts off their hands or sweeten the deal with a young player not named Laremy Tunsil or Xavien Howard?

Again, just fun to mess around with the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:37 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Miami already has a good relationship dealing with Philly.

This is probably an underrated and overlooked aspect in all this Wentz talk.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]