All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:46 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10559
Location: MA
Its being reported that last year Gase wanted to hire Vic Fangio to run his defense but Ross shot it down. His reasoning was the big contract, immediate exit of Vance Joseph. Gase was told to promote from within.

This is courtesy of Dolphin Maven and tweeted out by Matt Cannata.

Maybe just maybe we are faulting Gase a little too much and not seeing what has gone on behind the curtains. Remember, Gase didn't want to sign Osweiler originally.

We keep asking ourselves what is the consistent factor...is it Ross?


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4921
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
If the head coach doesn’t want to sign a QB. Don’t sign that QB.

Unless he’s Drew Brees.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am
Posts: 6521
I have not been a fan of boss Ross for a while now, I just don't say it over and over again all the time.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:48 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 548
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
If the head coach doesn’t want to sign a QB. Don’t sign that QB.

Unless he’s Drew Brees.


This head coach hasn't earned the right to say anything about signing QBs or any other position really. Besides cutting talent and keeping garbage, he continues living in his delusional planet that Tannehill has "upside". Maybe Ross denied him his DC choice to get even with him for throwing away $10m on "I couldn't care Less" Jay. And right now Osweiler is his man or he would have cut him. Gase has control over the 53, and he can cut whomever he wants. Unfortunately.

Buffalo is said to cut Nathan Peterman. Sure he would look great in those pasty aqua tights.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4921
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
You have no idea where Gase stands on T Hill right now. He was backing him going into 2018. Just as you were. The situation has become crystal clear now. You are out of your mind if you truly believe he is willing to put his career in the hands of Tannehill & Osweiller.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:37 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10559
Location: MA
carreramia wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
If the head coach doesn’t want to sign a QB. Don’t sign that QB.

Unless he’s Drew Brees.


This head coach hasn't earned the right to say anything about signing QBs or any other position really. Besides cutting talent and keeping garbage, he continues living in his delusional planet that Tannehill has "upside". Maybe Ross denied him his DC choice to get even with him for throwing away $10m on "I couldn't care Less" Jay. And right now Osweiler is his man or he would have cut him. Gase has control over the 53, and he can cut whomever he wants. Unfortunately.

Buffalo is said to cut Nathan Peterman. Sure he would look great in those pasty aqua tights.


What does signing Cutler in August have to do with not spending money on a DC 7 months earlier?

For the 2017 season Gase started the summer as the guy who overachieved and got the best we had seen to date out of Tannehill. There was every reason to believe Miami was on the way to better things but the knee injury happened again. You can fault them for not grabbing a young QB to develop at that time I guess.

As for playing Osweiler now, we'll see. If he sticks with him its a problem but I'll understand why he gave him 5 games for a real audition. At least Osweiler had a track record whereas Fales has one career game which I don't think counts as a start. Its clearly time to move on but you don't cut Osweiler without any viable backup on the roster. What happens if Fales gets hurt?


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 15849
Location: Raleigh, NC
jammer wrote:
Its being reported that last year Gase wanted to hire Vic Fangio to run his defense but Ross shot it down. His reasoning was the big contract, immediate exit of Vance Joseph. Gase was told to promote from within.


I'm not sure if I buy into all of that, but Fangio would have been a nice hire. If I were Gase, I would want someone with experience running the defense while I tinker with an inept offense. If Gase wants to replace Burke after this season, I see it happening. Gase has had his say on personnel, but I do remember hearing that he had to be talked into getting on board with the Osweiller signing.

When are we out from under this Suh contract? How much dead money is still owed for next year?

One thing, Ross does have his input but he lets his people do their jobs. Maybe he did encourage Gase to hir from within. That is always the head coach's job to fill his coaching staff. Ross wanted to trade down and not draft Fitzpatrick but Chris Grier held firm that Fitz was what we needed.

_________________
Follow me on Facebook - Phinfever - Miami Dolphins Fan Site @BigDavePhinfever

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever


Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:52 am 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 548
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
You have no idea where Gase stands on T Hill right now. He was backing him going into 2018. Just as you were. The situation has become crystal clear now. You are out of your mind if you truly believe he is willing to put his career in the hands of Tannehill & Osweiller.


Yah, crystal clear now, when everybody and the janitor know it as well. And I haven’t backed Thill for years, convinced since the Lazor days this guy wasn’t the answer. His return this year, after another draft passed us by without addressing the position, left little choice but to be hopeful that the additions to the oline and WR position would make this guy what he’s not, and he did not disappoint. So, no, I did not need this new situation as an awakening on this maddening Thill carousel that has taken us nowhere for over a half a decade.

And regarding where Gase stands on Thill right now? It was all right there just a couple of weeks ago, Gase peddling his coach speak BS on Tannehill when defending him to the media.

"Where's our ceiling at?" Gase said. "I don't think we're close to it. I think we just keep getting better, keep finding ways to maximize his skill set because it becomes a problem for the defense. It's hard to defend him when you don't know what he's going to do. ... Is he going to run a zone read? Is he going to sprint out? Is he going to run a naked? Is he going to go play action? Is he dropping back? Are we running the ball? There's a lot of things you have to defend."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... 018-season


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26313
Location: Miami, FL
carreramia wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
You have no idea where Gase stands on T Hill right now. He was backing him going into 2018. Just as you were. The situation has become crystal clear now. You are out of your mind if you truly believe he is willing to put his career in the hands of Tannehill & Osweiller.


Yah, crystal clear now, when everybody and the janitor know it as well. And I haven’t backed Thill for years, convinced since the Lazor days this guy wasn’t the answer. His return this year, after another draft passed us by without addressing the position, left little choice but to be hopeful that the additions to the oline and WR position would make this guy what he’s not, and he did not disappoint. So, no, I did not need this new situation as an awakening on this maddening Thill carousel that has taken us nowhere for over a half a decade.

And regarding where Gase stands on Thill right now? It was all right there just a couple of weeks ago, Gase peddling his coach speak BS on Tannehill when defending him to the media.

"Where's our ceiling at?" Gase said. "I don't think we're close to it. I think we just keep getting better, keep finding ways to maximize his skill set because it becomes a problem for the defense. It's hard to defend him when you don't know what he's going to do. ... Is he going to run a zone read? Is he going to sprint out? Is he going to run a naked? Is he going to go play action? Is he dropping back? Are we running the ball? There's a lot of things you have to defend."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... 018-season


Please find me a coach that says "this guy has reached his ceiling and is clearly not the future. We're going to dump his a$$ and draft another guy in 2019".

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:36 am 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 548
Rich wrote:
Please find me a coach that says "this guy has reached his ceiling and is clearly not the future. We're going to dump his a$$ and draft another guy in 2019".


OK, love it! If you say that’s what he’s really saying, then I’m in!


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26313
Location: Miami, FL
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:
Please find me a coach that says "this guy has reached his ceiling and is clearly not the future. We're going to dump his a$$ and draft another guy in 2019".


OK, love it! If you say that’s what he’s really saying, then I’m in!


The point is it's pointless to use coach speak in an argument.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:43 pm
Posts: 5856
Location: Wellington, FL
18 NFL franchises are below .500 right now... Many of them will be scouring those top teams staffs for the next great coach. And a few of them have coaches that have proven they can win with the right personnel...

It will be an interesting off season....

_________________
Caution: Reply may contain sarcasm


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:30 am 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 548
Rich wrote:

The point is it's pointless to use coach speak in an argument.


Really? In Board credo it Is either or....and going by actions, three years worth, it is more likely this public stance, BS to us who are sick and tired of the Thill dance, combined with the non-actions of the FO/HC in respects to the position?....well, connect the dots.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:41 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26313
Location: Miami, FL
carreramia wrote:
Rich wrote:

The point is it's pointless to use coach speak in an argument.


Really? In Board credo it Is either or....and going by actions, three years worth, it is more likely this public stance, BS to us who are sick and tired of the Thill dance, combined with the non-actions of the FO/HC in respects to the position?....well, connect the dots.


Like I said, find me a coach who publicly goes and rips his starting QB mid-season, while he is out with an injury, and we'll have something to discuss.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:59 am 
Offline
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 am
Posts: 548
Rich wrote:

Like I said, find me a coach who publicly goes and rips his starting QB mid-season, while he is out with an injury, and we'll have something to discuss.


We have plenty to discuss, or haven’t you seen the miles of posts on the subject? Much of which includes what the coach says, does and speculation thereof. Whether you want to believe any of it it’s your choice but for “argument” sake here on the board? Some people call it “tomatoe”, others “tomato” and it is all fair game. I mean, we ARE discussing it right now, aren’t we?


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4921
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Yeah. You said it. Coach speak. He isn’t going to come out and trash Tannehill. As average and uninspiring as his play as been throughout his years here, he has always been an upstanding citizen and player. Nothing but respect for the individual. He is old school. I don’t even believe he really has a social media presence. Gase will quietly move on from him.

Spilling the beans to the vulturious media won’t do a thing. He isn’t counting on him to be the QB next season. He isn’t going to tell reporters that.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:48 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 10559
Location: MA
Gase believes in his system. Having an efficient Tannehill run it proves the system is key and will be Super Bowl level with a better trigger guy. I don't think Gase is aggressively for or against Tannehill, he just likes that Tannehill will work hard to learn the system. The injury will be the reason used to let Tannehill go.

As for Ross and control, it really stinks if he forced Burke on Gase. I bet Vance Joseph is back at DC next year as it will take a couple seasons before he is considered again for a HC position.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:11 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 1257
Gase is suffering from the same disease that afflicts many leaders and head coaches. He is stubborn, inflexible and tries to force square pegs into round holes. This kind of leader can be a success on the rare occasion when the stars align and all the right pieces were there, or he acquires the right pieces shortly after his, or her, arrival. Unfortunately, the NFL stands for not for long and patient waiting for the stars to align doesn’t often happen. Shula built his team with what he had. Surely he looked to improve his personnel each year, but he was the kind of creative genius who didn’t stay stuck on stupid. Gase on the other hand....

Hey dummy. You have one HOF talent on offense.....Frank Gore. Ride that horse as much as you can! Stop dialing up your stupid short pass game....Albert Wilson isn’t on the field anymore and neither is Tannehill, or your starting O line. At least Gore might set you up for manageable 3rd downs.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4921
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Phinished wrote:
This kind of leader can be a success on the rare occasion when the stars align and all the right pieces were there, or he acquires the right pieces shortly after his, or her, arrival.


Her?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:33 am 
Offline
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:28 pm
Posts: 1257
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Phinished wrote:
This kind of leader can be a success on the rare occasion when the stars align and all the right pieces were there, or he acquires the right pieces shortly after his, or her, arrival.


Her?


Yes, in our world we do have women in leadership positions. My argument encompassed leaders and not simply NFL coaches.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 26313
Location: Miami, FL
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
He isn’t going to come out and trash Tannehill.


Walk away before you get furthered dragged into the abyss.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 4921
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Phinished wrote:
Yes, in our world we do have women in leadership positions. My argument encompassed leaders and not simply NFL coaches.


Image

_________________
Image


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r