View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Serby's Sunday Q & A with... Jason Taylor 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Serby's Sunday Q & A with... Jason Taylor
If you can get past seeing JT wearing Jet green, it's actually a good Q & A article.

Quote:
Serby's Sunday Q & A with... Jason Taylor

The Post’s Steve Serby chatted with the soon-to-be-36-year-old former Dolphin who brought his 127 1⁄2 career sacks to the Jets as a free agent.

Q: What was your reaction when you heard that Rex Ryan had flipped the bird to a Dolphins fan in Florida before the Super Bowl?

A: I just laughed . . . people make such a big deal about this stuff. He and Channing Crowder had a little thing going on I thought was funny and entertaining. Dolphin fans are supposed to dislike the Jets, and Jet fans are supposed to dislike the Dolphins. Like the Packers and Vikings.

Q: Are you concerned that some Jets fans will never forgive you for hating them as a Dolphin?

A: You can’t please everybody in life. . . . If they come around, great. If they don’t, well, I’m sorry.

Q: Fireman Ed is on your side now.

A: Chant it up! J-E-T-S!

Q: Your worst fear is getting booed on them road and at home?

A: (Chuckles) I expect to get booed on the road . . . but you’d like to be loved and appreciated at home. We’ll see what happens.

Q: Are you optimistic you can win Jets fans over?

A: If we win ballgames, and win a lot of ballgames, they’re gonna like the team, and I’m part of the team.

Q: How are your children (Isaiah, 7, Mason, 6, and Zoey, 4) adapting from being Dolphin fans to Jets fans?

A: (Isaiah and Mason) couldn’t be happier. Somehow, some way, they became Yankee fans in South Florida. They want to go up there and see some Yankee games. They have Sanchez jerseys already and they talk about (LaDainian Tomlinson).

Q: Rex?

A: He’s almost like an assistant coach, but he’s the head coach. Players tend to be closer to their assistant coaches and can joke around . . . they’re more like a friend than they are a coach.

Q: Do you have enough left to be a double-digit sacker?

A: I certainly believe so. Time will tell.

Q: What’s better: sacks or sex?

A: (Laughs). Sex with my wife is much better than sacks.

Q: How close are sacks?

A: It’s in the top 3 in life for sure.

Q: You once said following a game against Buffalo quarterback Rob Johnson: “It’s always good to see a quarterback bleed.” Do you hate quarterbacks?

A: No, I love quarterbacks. They’re the reason I do what I do. I just like hitting ’em.

Q: Favorite quarterbacks to sack?

A: It became the guys that were the hardest to get because it makes it more gratifying. I haven’t hit one quarterback I haven’t enjoyed hitting . . . Peyton Manning, Tom Brady because I saw him so much in the division.

Q: All-time favorite sack?

A: My first one against Jim Harbaugh back in ’97. My first true NFL sack ever came in preseason against Brett Favre. I called all my friends and family and told everybody, “I just sacked Brett Favre!” Even though it didn’t count, it counted for me. I didn’t even know what I did, probably some corny sack dance or celebration. I felt like I was the Michael Jordan of football — at least for that four seconds.

Q: Most vicious sack?

A: Some guys go for the big knockout hit. I’m really big on getting the ball out . . . picking the ball up and going.

Q: When you see fear in the quarterback’s eyes?

A: It’s not very easy to get NFL quarterbacks in that state of mind. When it does happen . . . you got him.

Q: Pass rushers you’ve enjoyed watching?

A: Michael Strahan for sure; Dwight Freeney — he does it in such a unique way; recently it’s been Jared Allen, who also does it in a whole different way; DeMarcus Ware; Elvis Dumervil. You can find 10 pass rushers and you may see nine or even 10 different styles of rushing the passer.

Q: Your style?

A: I’m long and I’m stronger and more powerful than people give me credit for sometimes.

Q: Favorite pass rushers growing up?

A: Lawrence Taylor; Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene — I was a big Pittsburgh Steelers fan.

Q: Biggest influence growing up?

A: My mom. Watching her struggles, and not having much and always doing what she could to put a meal on the table for me and my siblings was pretty inspiring.

Q: Did it bother you never knowing your dad?

A: At times it did. But I think as a kid, you kinda become resilient and just adapt. Sometimes not knowing any different, ignorance becomes bliss.

Q: When the NCAA temporarily took away your scholarship to Akron because you were home-schooled in high school?

A: To go from such a high, getting a scholarship and being one of the first in my family to go to college and have it paid for, to the low of them taking it back, it was tough. But I’d been through so much in my life, you realize it’s just another obstacle.

Q: You were a puppeteer?

A: (Chuckles) My church growing up, we went around to nursing homes. I was part of the puppet team. You put your hand in the puppet and perform shows. I was pretty darn good, not to blow my own horn.

Q: You might be summoned in training camp.

A: I haven’t touched a puppet in 20 years. I got too tall for the stage. I became the setup crew.

Q: Bill Parcells?

A: Very strong-willed . . . strong-minded . . . his-way-or-the-highway kind of guy.

Q: Did you two clash?

A: We didn’t communicate much to even be able to work out any differences.

Q: Did he discourage you from participating in “Dancing With the Stars”?

A: He never told me he didn’t want me to. He just didn’t talk. The Cincinnati Bengals really embraced Chad Ochocinco and used it as a positive for the team, the organization and the community.

Q: Jimmy Johnson?

A: I love Jimmy. He ran a tough ship. We grinded, but he really had a lot to do with shaping me into the player I am.

Q: Nick Saban?

A: The intensity . . . will to win . . . holding people accountable. We were very closely aligned in those kind of things.

Q: Did your wife (Katina, Zach Thomas’ sister) talk you out of quitting before 2006?

A: We sat down together and figured out what direction we wanted our life to go.

Q: Walter Payton Man of the Year award (2007)?

A: The highlight of my career.

Q: Hall of Fame?

A: I put my head down and keep trying to stack up numbers. If it happens, it happens. For 14 years, I’ve had the best job in the world. I’m living the dream.

Q: Boyhood idol?

A: Michael Jordan.

Q: Three dinner guests?

A: Jesus; Winston Churchill; Martin Luther King Jr.

Q: Favorite movie?

A: “The Godfather.”

Q: Favorite actor?

A: Will Smith, Denzel Washington.

Q: Favorite actress?

A: Halle Berry, Sandra Bullock.

Q: Favorite entertainer?

A: Jay-Z.

Q: Favorite meal?

A: Anything Italian.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ser ... rg7vGvFQ9J

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:00 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Serby's Sunday Q & A with... Jason Taylor
Quote:
Q: Fireman Ed is on your side now.

A: Chant it up! J-E-T-S!

I seriously couldn't read past that.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:16 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

with comments like that, he should not be allowed in the Ring of Honor....... no lie, JT was a Dolphin great..... in an era of extreme mediocrity. With exception of the playoff surge in 2008, the entire decade should be forgotten. Including what JT did here, he is no longer one of us..... kinda like a vampyre, he'll never be human..... well he got gangrene, will never be the same again, good riddance. Hope Jake Long puts him on his butt next year, over and over again. And when he doesnt, Ricky and Ronnie will run right by him

Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:59 am

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Hope Jake Long puts him on his butt next year, over and over again. And when he doesnt, Ricky and Ronnie will run right by him

I think you meant through him. :yay:

Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:17 pm

SkyHigh314 wrote:
with comments like that, he should not be allowed in the Ring of Honor....... no lie, JT was a Dolphin great..... in an era of extreme mediocrity. With exception of the playoff surge in 2008, the entire decade should be forgotten. Including what JT did here, he is no longer one of us..... kinda like a vampyre, he'll never be human..... well he got gangrene, will never be the same again, good riddance. Hope Jake Long puts him on his arse next year, over and over again. And when he doesnt, Ricky and Ronnie will run right by him

Look , I get the hate & I understand the bitterness & all that goes with it & right now you can say tensions are high. But after all is said & done & this dicatatorship is no longer at the helm JT will go into the ring of honor. In fact he will probably go in with Zach. He will say things like its good to be home & its good to be among family (meaning the fans) & he will recall the past & bring up a bunch of nostalgia from Dolphin past. When that happens we will all cheer for him , welcome him back , forget the past & the team he played for this year. When all has calmed down we will realize that football is still a business & his decision to play for the Jets was a business decision while his hands were forced.
We welcomed Ricky back when his decision was far more detramental to the team.
JT is much more a Dolphin than Ricky .... time will prove that & he will be welcomed by fans & community long after his playing days are over.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:26 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

not true at all. RIcky didnt abandon us to go play for our AND HIS bitter rival. JT basically just brushed aside all the media hate for his new beloved team, and in a matter of months he's chanting J E T S..... really? i thought this was a man who said the organization took the CL out of CLASS. Funny how money, and a change of scenery can change things. To me, JT is a traitor....... Ricky, my favorite player of all time, yet I am not defending him. He didnt desert us for the same sport. Hell he didnt really apologize either. He took his backlash in stride and kept pushing forward. JT = a walking contradiction. big diference

Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:19 pm

Sky ... I get your point but I still say you are mad now & once this is all over years from now when JT comes back when he is honored all will be forgiven. OK maybe not by you but by 95% of all Dolphin fans because lets face it that is just their nature. JT had one other offer besides the Dolphins & lets face it the offer was not one on the level that it should have been , given for what he played for last year & the kind of year he had. Maybe it was because Parcells is a stubborn guy & all the DWTS stuff has not been forgiven , who knows as I dont think anyone really knows all the facts & wont until these guys who run the show are out of office.
JT needed to play , at this point in the career the player (an aging one) knows its his last go around to play & collect. It also has to be more than the team he went to .... in peoples eyes (Fin fans) he was made an offer that should have suited him , after all we are loyal to the team & not the player in circumstances like these.
I dont want to be drawn into another Ricky discussion ... it is really useless at this point. But just remember while we cheer Ricky now he was big reason for those "dark" years. I have never heard of a RB complain about being overworked especially with the numbers he put up. He knew he was gonna get popped ... again & again by the way. I can look past that ... he had \ has a problem. But what gets me & I dont know why people forget this is that Ricky did not want to come back.... in fact he wanted to retire (I would say quit but that really gets me alot of negative PM's)
while thinking he was entitled to his full salary. It was only after a arbitraitor ruled in favor of Huizenga that he was forced to play again because he had to support a few kiddies.
But this thread is not about Ricky (I hate how it always becomes about him) it is about JT ... for thew record Sky ... I am not picking a fight , I see your points & understand fans are pissed but in the non football matters I just tend to take a diiferent approach & opinion ... I hate JT is a Jet but when I look at the events that lead to it I understand it.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:46 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

No I am not a huge JT hater..... for the time being yes.... I hate who he is, because he is on our arch rival. For that matter I hate Sexy Rexy, and all the rest, even though, secretly I like the Rex Ryan attitude and all. My main beef with JT is the fact that he is exactly what he allegedly hates. That irks me. I understand there is a business side to that decision, and all the works. But, even so, He boldly voiced his discontent, disrespect, loathing, whatever word you want to use for it over the years, and multiple times for the Jets.... And now, a mere 4 months later he praised Sanchez (a month or so ago, saying i live or die by my qb) and chanting J E T S. I mean, being on a team is one thing, completely buying into what you 'allegedly' hated is a completely different thing.

Ok, look at Brett Favre.... Yea, he turncoated from the Packers to the Vikes (lets call his Jet campaign as exile). At least he acknowledged how hard the whole process was. Admitted how his heart was still with Green Bay, but its just a game, Im gonna go out and do my thing. There was switching of the switch and all of a sudden he was a lifelong Viking. Mind you, he had a great season, and prob will again this year. But you dont see Brett parading around town celebrating the Purple and Gold, nor throwing it in the Packers face.... And dont get me wrong, the situations are VERY similar. Green Bay wasnt gonna wait around for him, moved along, he wanted back, and they had made up their mind. Messy departure, and all in all, the fan base has for the time being moved along, and so will he, and he'll retire with class as a Packer.......

JT on the other hand, praised how much of a phins supporter he was. Reveled in being a Jet hater..... had his own lil exile in Washington and came back for dirt cheap. Voiced his opinion, tried to reconcile with Bill Parcells, and obviously wasnt comfortable til waiting til after the draft to have us offer him a contract. No big deal on either side, they both moved along..... But like i said, here we are a few months later.... and JT is chirping to the media like he bleeds Green and White now. I mean, seriously? He was probably wishing upon a few injuries in january during their playoff stint, because allegedly he hated them. And here we are, and he's chanting J E T S, and converting his children into NY fans... I mean, his angle is popularity, and his career post football. I would have no problem if he moved on to another team and played out his days, quietly..... and i dont mean by production, i hope him well) quietly as in a presence to the lockerroom, quiet on the media front, let his play dictate his presence....... But to go to our arch rival, and sing like a songbird is well....... a contradiction to everything he did here. Thats all I'm saying.

Zach Thomas had the opportunity to go to the Patsies..... he rejected out of loyalty to us, and went off to Dallas. I respect that. And lets not kid ourselves, had JT waited til post-Draft..... the Raiders, the Pats, the Jets, the Chiefs, the Titans, Giants, maybe the Vikes, Lions, Bucs, would have all come calling. He was hasty, took what he wanted with a 'contender' and is now singing their tune, and playing their game like his time here never mattered. He may say his heart is still here, but if it was, you know he wouldnt be singing like he is now..... especially not this soon.

I respect what he's done, what he may still do, and all of what he did for us. But like i said originally... The 2000's was a pretty bad decade in dolphinland. With the exception of Zach, we could forget about almost all of it, and I wouldnt be upset to see him absorbed into nothingness.... I hope Ricky goes into the ROH before JT does.. and like I mentioned before, Ricky never really changed his tune, he just decommitted..... JT turncoated. big difference

Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:48 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

It was really hard to read that... I mean some people won't understand that... but to grow up idolizing this guy and then read something like that J-E-T-S comment... almost brought a tear to my eye... it's brutal.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:41 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

SkyHigh314 wrote:
with comments like that, he should not be allowed in the Ring of Honor....... no lie, JT was a Dolphin great..... in an era of extreme mediocrity. With exception of the playoff surge in 2008, the entire decade should be forgotten. Including what JT did here, he is no longer one of us..... kinda like a vampyre, he'll never be human..... well he got gangrene, will never be the same again, good riddance. Hope Jake Long puts him on his arse next year, over and over again. And when he doesnt, Ricky and Ronnie will run right by him

Once you get that green stench, it never washes off.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]