All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Short week that brings a nationally televised game for the Miami Dolphins. Yesterday's loss to the Detroit Lions brought both short and long term ramifications. Not only did Miami stumble at home in what I believe was a must win game to make the playoffs, they lost more players to injury with little time to recuperate. Albert Wilson's season is likely over and it is uncertain if Kenny Stills will be available to play. Things are not looking good for a team that plays terribly on the road. Miami visits the Houston Texans on Thursday night as 7 point underdogs with a 45.5 over/under.

Houston is riding high after defeating division rival Jacksonville Jaguars. They were able to put up 20 points against the vaunted Jaguars defense and may have just ended Blake Bortles' tenure as the starting QB. He was benched at half time and rumors are already swirling. The only positive I can provide at this time is Houston starting QB Deshaun Watson is nursing what appears to be a serious rib injury that could limit his effectiveness.

Like Miami, Houston is 4-3 and will be fighting for a playoff spot over the second half of the season. Unlike Miami, they are on a hot streak winning 4 in a row after starting 0-3. You could argue that they are just beating on the softer part of their schedule, much like Miami early on, but you can only beat who you play. Houston's defense currently ranks 8th in points allowed and 9th in yards allowed. JJ Watt has returned to form with 7 sacks and 4 forced fumbles.

Houston's offense has been somewhat of a mixed bag but will not be a pushover by any stretch. If Watson is truly hurt then perhaps his mobility is not as much of a weapon. I doubt Head Coach Bill O'Brien wants to chance a long term injury with his young starter. Houston's ground game has old friend Lamar Miller and Alfred Blue. Neither has been exceptional this year but both have solid track records and will find success if Miami's DL gets pushed around like they did against Detroit. Miami's secondary will have their hands full with WRs Deandre Hopkins and Will Fuller. Both have produced and I'm sure O'Brien will look to create mismatches. We watched the LBs get torched with miscommunication and poor coverage all day yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised to see rookie slot guy Keke Coutee get some targets for YAC opportunity.

Not much to say about a Dolphins team that finds a way to hurt itself each week. The defense played so well against the high flying Cincinnati Bengal offense two weeks ago and now has been a liability in consecutive games. As we saw with Detroit QB Matt Stafford, if you get a guy who isn't going to make a lot of mistakes it really exposes what Miami is trotting out there. Yesterday was the first game that Deshaun Watson did not throw an interception, so we best hope he gets forced into some bad throws. Speaking of pressure, where in the heck was it yesterday? Is Robert Quinn the only guy capable of applying pressure consistently? Yes Andre Branch had a sack but other than that where was everyone? Matt Stafford looked like he was dominating a college game and I assure you Watson will have a field day if given 4 or 5 seconds for his stud receivers to get open.

QB Brock Osweiler has the chance for a revenge game. I'm still not sure he is a savior, but he made some big boy throws yesterday and looks like a guy who will only get better as the season progresses. Unfortunately short weeks have a way of bringing out the worst in some QBs and it wouldn't be shocking for him to regress under the spotlight of a national game. I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but history has not been too kind to him in tough situations. If he steps up and finds a way to carve up a very talented Houston secondary then it is time to officially declare him the hot hand. That won't be easy without Albert Wilson and probably Kenny Stills. Does Devante Parker get the call up after his agent verbally torched Head Coach Adam Gase? Do they go to the practice squad for Leonte Carroo or Isaiah Ford? Gase can no longer get cute with his play calling now that his speedier weapons are sidelined.

The running game has to be more consistent and a lot of that falls on the OL. After dominating the Bears defense they were flat out pushed around by Detroit. RB Kenyan Drake busted out a great TD run, but other than that there wasn't much to write home about. This offense was built to set up the play action and create confusion. No ground game means more what we saw versus New England and Cincinnati, and boy were those some ugly offenses.

This game has the makings of a disaster. Injuries, little time to heal and some post game ugliness from Devante Parker's agent just doesn't add up for a positive outcome. I can see Miami's offense coming out completely flat (FYI, they haven't scored or come close to it on an opening drive this year) and the defense eventually getting gassed. We've seen both Osweiler and Ryan Tannehill make sensational throws. We've seen Gore run like his 25 years old and Drake bust out some huge plays. We've seen the defense create turnovers at an unbelievable pace. Jakeem Grant is providing a huge spark on Special Teams. But it never happens altogether and every game (except against NE) is basically a cliffhanger into the 4th quarter. Miami needs to get its act together because the matchups only get tougher from here.

Sorry guys, I just don't see this one going well for Miami. A garbage time score makes it look closer than it will probably be.

Houston 27

Miami 20.

Post subject: Re: Miami at Houston
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:04 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Confirmed that Tannehill, Wilson and Stills are all out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:11 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Houston runs for 400yds setting an NFL record.

Houston 42
Miami 14

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:03 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

I'm usually as optimistic as anyone around here but I'm not seeing it this week either. Hope I'm wrong but 33-6 Houston. Maybe worse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

24-17 Phins

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:46 pm 
Snorton Norton
Snorton Norton

I was so excited and happy for Miami until about half way through Sunday's game. The plus for me was watching Osweiler make some awesome throws. But in terms of the team...... From what I saw, I'm with NFLJunkie. Miami will allow Houston to set either team records or maybe even NFL records on Thursday night. It's going to be really embarrassing which may at least help push for new coaches or management.

I think Miami helped the Lions set about 3 team records, and that was before 2 or 3 key injuries Miami received. Add in the national televised factor on Thursday.....this is certainly a recipe for disaster like the OP said.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:14 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Houston will be without Coute, so at least that makes life a bit easier on LBs and the slot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:30 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Our backs are against the wall. I think this will test the "culture" and we'll perform better than we did against the Lions. Which means that it could be the close game that Jammer thinks in his 27-20 Texans victory. Go Fins!

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:45 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Here's the current injury outlook. The players in the first paragraph will be out on Thursday.

Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins said four players would not have practiced even if the team had practiced Monday — receiver Albert Wilson (likely out for the season with a hip injury, according to Gase), defensive end Charles Harris (calf), receiver Kenny Stills (will miss Thursday’s game, per Gase) and tight end A.J. Derby (foot).

Also, four players would have been limited: Osweiler with a back injury (Gase said it’s not a concern), receiver Danny Amendola (shoulder), tight end Mike Gesicki (shoulder) and safety T.J. McDonald (ankle/knee). Gase didn’t seem too concerned about the Gesicki injury.

Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins should get defensive end Jonathan Woodard back; he’s out of concussion protocol.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:54 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Big revenge game for Brock.
Miami 24
Houston 13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:15 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

We get Woodard back. That's a relief!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:34 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

35 to 17 Texans.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:35 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

If Miami pulls off the upset they are back to where I hoped they would be for wild card contention. Its not impossible but these Thursday games are goofy.

Gase has to change what he does because the two biggest targets, Stills and Wilson, are sidelined. I don't think its a huge deal having Grant replace Wilson. If Parker swaps out for Stills I wonder about his route running. Was that the problem? Was he not getting separation?

I'm guessing both Carroo and Ford get called up but neither should be relied upon for a ton of snaps.

Can Gesicki and O'Leary provide the 2 TE offense that Gase originally planned prior to Gray's and Derby's injuries?

Do some of these Houston defenders know Osweiler's tendencies and will they be able to exploit them from practicing against him?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
I'm guessing both Carroo and Ford get called up but neither should be relied upon for a ton of snaps.

I like Carroo's big body. Too bad he's been so mentally lazy.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:29 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
I like Carroo's big body. Too bad he's been so mentally lazy.

That is exactly why I want to see more of Ford. He is a hard worker and runs better routes, which should equate to him being more QB friendly.

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]