Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
By Armando Salguero

Ryan Tannehill will start a football game for the Miami Dolphins again this season. That will happen. No one within the Dolphins organization that is sharing an opinion has doubts about that.
But to say there’s no doubt about Tannehill’s future with the team is not correct.
There is doubt now. ….

Who?
Teddy Bridgewater will be looking for a starting job in 2019. Sam Bradford will, too. Even Brock Osweiler, who is starting for Miami on Sunday and already has an outstanding outing last week to his credit, is unsigned for next year.
But which of those guys is definitely an upgrade over Tannehill? That’s the tough question the Dolphins would have to ask themselves. So what am I telling you?
Well, the Dolphins have an uncertain quarterback situation now and it will be riddled with much bigger questions after the season. ...

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 95125.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:28 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

The options stink if you're hoping for a big upgrade unless Miami can swing a huge trade.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:26 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

Nobody that represents a huge upgrade will be available via trade, I would think. I'd investigate bringing in Teddy but that's hardly a solid plan. I don't see Carr as an upgrade. Draft one in the first round and let him sit a year while RT finishes out. Then we'll see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:19 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Carr has not looked good this year. I have suspected he is playing hurt as well.

I think the team needs a year just to build up the O line and maybe get a real alpha receiver or develop a top flight TE. Get that new QB prospect in the 2020 draft.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:09 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Carr hasn't been the same since his injury, but it doesn't help that he's playing for a coach who is looking beyond him.

There may be a gem in the draft, but not a guy who is going to step in Day 1 and help you win 9 or 10 games. Not unless Miami goes out and builds a phenomenal ground game and top 5 defense.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:13 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I want this draft to focus on O line. That has to be fixed....including getting depth. How bad must Asiata suck that he hasn’t found his chance to start or play meaningful snaps yet this season?

Problem is, we need a real #1 WR, still, and linebacker help. I think the D line can be okay for a year, if all the injured players return.

Get the O line fixed and effective first next year, then get that QB on 2020.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:07 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I am 100% ok with Osweiler as a bridge QB next year. Save $13 million on Tannehill, pay Osweiler $6 million (I think that is what Bridgewater got from the Jets) and use the savings to fill other needs in FA. Osweiler isn't going to be a savior and he'll have his share of clunkers, but he appears good enough and doesn't come with pressure of being the hope of the franchise.

Ben Albright made an interesting suggestion last night after Bortles was benched in Jax. He suggested Jacksonville should offer Bortles and a pick for Tannehill because Tannehill is a better fit (solid game manager who won't throw away most games). Bortles' contract is supposedly easier to get out of that Tannehill's.

Would Gase do it? Probably not but I found the suggestion interesting nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:00 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Crazy as it seems I think you see Manning to Jax and if Seattle doesnt extend Wilson (i think next season is his last under contract and Seattle has yet to address it?) The Giants offer their #1 and more for him.
I am a Tannehill beleiver but I also said he needed to play in 16 games this season. I think a split is best for both. He can excel elsewhere. We just never seem to get those draft picks to snag a QB. Remember John Beck.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:53 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Elway has not done a good job of drafting quarterbacks, but at least he sees a need and is trying to address it. it's like the lottery, you can't win unless you buy a ticket. How many QBs has this team bypassed in the draft?

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:13 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'll tell you who I like, and that is Duke's Daniel Jones. He makes all the throws, reminds me of Baker Mayfield a bit as he has good feet and is always looking for the open man and to push it downfield. If he had more talent around him at Duke.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:47 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A trade for Carr would require at least a first round pick.

PFF wrote:
Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, though Gruden said he doesn’t see the team trading him, isn’t exempt from the fire sale. La Canfora said other NFL general managers believe Oakland can get two first-round picks in exchange for Carr, and Gruden said plans can always change in regard to who is and isn’t being traded.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... e-deadline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:36 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

A few tweets from Omar Kelly forced me to go back and re-watch every Tannehill snap from the Cincinnati game. Before anyone gets up in arms, no I'm not going to tell you he didn't have his share of the blame nor will he suddenly be "the guy." But stay with me here.

Kelly's first tweet was about an actual upgrade existing for Miami this season which he doesn't think is available. He then showed a few videos of Osweiler (who you think would be the upgrade after Chicago and Detroit) being completely inaccurate on intermediate throws. If you watch the Cincinnati game, Tannehill only missed badly on two throws - both to Stills and both with a helmet right in his face. Otherwise he did a pretty good job of pushing the ball and faced at least 3 drops from Kenyan Drake that were drive killers. Osweiler has been bad in each game on many throws traveling beyond 10 yards.

Kelly's next tweet was about rookie statistics and how the rookie's don't magically save seasons. This is a good point and made me think of Carreramia's post about "vision."

Finally, and this is the wildcard, Kelly posted a video of Osweiler missing a wide open Parker on an intermediate route. He even said if Parker keeps running these routes and gets "Tannehill" back things will look better. Now I caution that because Houston trotted out a pretty weak secondary.

I don't think Tannehill is a long term answer, but Gase has to readjust this offense without Wilson and Stills. If he can get back to quick slants and intermediate level throws on play action we should see an improved passing game. That is where Parker, Amendola and Gesicki should be better. Grant probably becomes the odd man out. The deep passing game will regress a bit without Stills, but Parker can at least keep it on life support.

The Bills x 2, Jets at home, Indy, and a suddenly suspect Jags defense...there is a chance this offense can look a lot better and maybe resemble the 2016 version as opposed to the overly gimmicky 2018 version. Tannehill and Parker looked good together against Oakland.

Tannehill being the QB next year may also not be the worst thing ever so long as Miami is looking for a younger upgrade.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:24 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
I don't think Tannehill is a long term answer, but Gase has to readjust this offense without Wilson and Stills. If he can get back to quick slants and intermediate level throws on play action we should see an improved passing game. That is where Parker, Amendola and Gesicki should be better. Grant probably becomes the odd man out. The deep passing game will regress a bit without Stills, but Parker can at least keep it on life support.

I think people are going to be "shocked" but I feel we may have Tannehill one more year ala Alex Smith/Chiefs. We'll have to see how hot their seats are after this season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:25 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:

I think people are going to be "shocked" but I feel we may have Tannehill one more year ala Alex Smith/Chiefs. We'll have to see how hot their seats are after this season.

And this is where I like Carreramia's point of "vision." Andy Reid immediately traded for Alex Smith in KC and it kept the team competitive. He used his chips when he found his guy years later. So no, it doesn't have to be a forced pick next year.

Like others, I got caught up in the Osweiler hype because it was someone new who had talent. But when you break down his throws you can easily see why he is an inferior option.

There is no question you want to target one of the 2020 QBs. Tua, Haskins, Fromm and Eason all show traits of a franchise QB. Do you tank with Osweiler next year to better position yourself? Or do you see if Tannehill rediscovers his 2016 form and keeps you competitive (like an Alex Smith)?

You'll have to trade assets in 2020 if the latter approach is what you want. Also have to consider cost. Tannehill costs you $26 million next year and $25 million in what would be the bridge year of 2020 (coming full circle to Omar's tweet about not banking on rookies)? Mahomes has the benefit of learning behind Smith and playing with a winning team.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:36 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Like others, I got caught up in the Osweiler hype because it was someone new who had talent. But when you break down his throws you can easily see why he is an inferior option.

Not to worry ... this is the last week of Brocktober.

:))

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:16 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

PFF Mock Draft 2.0 wrote:
2. New York Giants – QB Justin Herbert, Oregon

16. Miami Dolphins – QB Dwayne Haskins, Ohio State

The second quarterback comes off the board in Haskins, who still has some work to do, especially after rough games on the road, but the Dolphins need to take a chance as they look to replace Ryan Tannehill. Haskins has graded at 91.2 from a clean pocket, but only 38.3 on his 67 pressured dropbacks.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/d ... ck-draft-2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:32 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Oh good, PFF wants Miami to draft another guy with limited experience and problems handling pressure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:40 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I am 100% ok with Osweiler as a bridge QB next year. Save $13 million on Tannehill, pay Osweiler $6 million (I think that is what Bridgewater got from the Jets) and use the savings to fill other needs in FA. Osweiler isn't going to be a savior and he'll have his share of clunkers, but he appears good enough and doesn't come with pressure of being the hope of the franchise.

I agree. I’ll say it again. If there are no real potential stud QBs coming out of the draft, don’t overplay. Build up the team until you scout that guy.

PFF Mock Draft 2.0 wrote:
but the Dolphins need to take a chance as they look to replace Ryan Tannehill. Haskins has graded at 91.2 from a clean pocket, but only 38.3 on his 67 pressured dropbacks.

If they suck, no they don’t.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:46 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Oh good, PFF wants Miami to draft another guy with limited experience and problems handling pressure.

:haha

I chuckled when I posted it as it kind of stands out boldly in their write up of him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:12 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So, aside from Brady who was drafted eleventy-billion years ago, if you draft past the 4th round you are throwing away a draft pick. One of the issues of the first round is that teams are so desperate for a QB that they are drafting 2nd round talent in the 1st round.

Cannata wrote:
Success rate for QB by round from 2008 - 2017

Round / Number QBs drafted / Success / Jury out

1 / 27 / 8 / 6
2 / 12 / 2 / 2
3 / 13 / 2 / 0
4 / 15 / 1 / 1
5 / 17 / 0 / 0
6 / 24 / 0 / 0
7 / 18 / 0 / 0

126 quarterbacks drafted. 13 are considered a success and jury out on 9.

https://twitter.com/CannataNFL/status/1 ... 7116774400

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:28 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:

I agree. I’ll say it again. If there are no real potential stud QBs coming out of the draft, don’t overplay. Build up the team until you scout that guy.

I'm rethinking some of this after I saw the breakdown of Osweiler's throws. Miami will win three games with him because defense will take away the short stuff and make him throw down field. Its why he failed in Houston.

Again, its easy to jump on the hype train and many of us don't apply long term thinking to this stuff. If you want Osweiler then its to tank for a 2020 QB, and even then you're looking at a lost 2020 season while that guy develops.

All depends on what Ross wants. Blow it up and start over or see if a better QB can execute Gase's offense...and if you don't believe in Gase's offense you probably know the answer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:49 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
I'll tell you who I like, and that is Duke's Daniel Jones. He makes all the throws, reminds me of Baker Mayfield a bit as he has good feet and is always looking for the open man and to push it downfield. If he had more talent around him at Duke.

I was hesitant on this guy because I read Kouffman's blurb about him maybe not having enough arm to drive some of the intermediate throws. Then I watched some videos on him and realized he has plenty. Is he Haskins or Lock with a rocket arm? No, but he is fine. Looks a bit like a Matt Ryan type out there.

His coach is tight with the Mannings, and we know Peyton has the ear of Ross.

Jones still has another year of eligibility though so its not a given he enters the 2019 draft.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:58 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Per Chris Kouffman and Matt Cannata, the Dolphins will probably pursue Teddy Bridgewater for the 2019 season. Cannata notes that the plan is to move on from Tannehill after this year.

The reasoning for Bridgewater is Miami had interest this past offseason and Bridgewater gets play where he grew up, giving Miami an advantage in the bidding war.

I can't say I'm thrilled if this is the solution because Bridgewater is another question mark to me, and was a good game manager in Minnesota. I'm guessing the hope is he becomes a faster version of Tannehill.

Tannehill probably has a chance to redeem himself but the shoulder injury seems to be the nail in the coffin. Tannehill's best attribute was zinging tight throws on the run and without that velocity he won't be successful. He just isn't a guy who sits in the pocket and throws people open with precision.

I imagine Miami also spends a Day 2 or 3 pick on another young QB.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:14 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:31 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

jammer wrote:
I am 100% ok with Osweiler as a bridge QB next year.

No way. Osweiler struggles to complete passes over 10 yards.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:06 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Premature evaluation. Always ruins the good mood.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:49 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Brovember!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:14 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

Premature evaluation. Always ruins the good mood.

Yep, last week's game was a slap of reality to any of us thinking that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:02 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

What do you guys think about Nick Foles if he becomes available?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:36 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

vafinfan wrote:
What do you guys think about Nick Foles if he becomes available?

I think the Eagles have him locked up for next year. I'd take him over Osweiler for a year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:45 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

A long term gamble that everyone is dismissing is Jarrett Stidham. He came into this year as an expected 1st Rounder but has disappointed scouts. He is playing behind a beat up o-line and needs coaching on his reads, but he is clearly talented.

What I like about him over a guy like Drew Lock is that Stidham had success against teams like Alabama and Georgia in the past. He's doesn't just have the skill set, he's proven it against the best.

He'd be a great get on Day 2 or very early Day 3.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:19 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Foles will be a FA next year........he's on the books for $20 M next year. Eagles can release him and take a $1.8 cap hit.

Tanny is due $18.7 in '19 with $13.4 in dead cap. The ideal release point for Tanny is in '20. Unless Tanny comes back and plays lights out, they're going to try to get their QB in next year's draft.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:24 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Nick Mullen’s. Lol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:38 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Makchell wrote:
Nick Mullen’s. Lol

Nah....everyone looks good against the Raiders; even the Dullphins.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:40 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

shularino wrote:
Foles will be a FA next year........he's on the books for $20 M next year. Eagles can release him and take a $1.8 cap hit.

Tanny is due $18.7 in '19 with $13.4 in dead cap. The ideal release point for Tanny is in '20. Unless Tanny comes back and plays lights out, they're going to try to get their QB in next year's draft.

The fly in the buttermilk is we are being told there are no franchise QB’s in the upcoming draft.....so u are right. Our moronic brain trust will reach for a QB and pass on real talent we need in almost every other part of the team.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:27 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

shularino wrote:

Technically he isn't a free agent, and Philly can simply move some of that money to 2020 to keep him on the roster. It is possible they cut him because they seem up against it with the cap.

Tannehill will cost Miami $26 million next year because a bunch of this year's money was moved to open up cap room. Gase can defend him all he wants but there is no reason to pay him that amount if he his shoulder it temporarily toast. We'll probably get a better read next month.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:34 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

If the Phins can suck hard enough in 2019, and tank the rest of this year....which seems plausible....then I am liking the looks of Notre Dame’s Ian Book. I bet he ends up being a high first round prospect in the 2020 draft, so the team will need to secure a top pick to get him.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:59 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

...which fits perfectly with Gase's incredibly masterful offense.

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]