All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:02 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I am actually eager to see what Sterup can do as he played pretty decently this past preseason.

Jason Lieser wrote:
The Dolphins are moving on from backup offensive tackle Sam Young, who would have been next in line behind either starter, and going forward with Zach Sterup in that role.

Miami cut Young this afternoon ahead of tomorrow’s home game against the Bears and promoted defensive tackle Jamiyus Pittman from the practice squad.

While Young is a nine-year veteran with 81 career games played, Sterup is massive (6-foot-9, 327 pounds) but unproven. The Dolphins signed him off Cleveland’s practice squad late last season and played him in six games. His lone NFL start was in last year’s season finale.

Sterup was behind Young on the depth chart this season and was inactive four out of the first five games.

“He’s always done a good job in practice,” Gase said this week. “I know the defensive line always talks about how long he is and how hard he is to get around. I know William Hayes has said since the first day he got here, ‘When that guy punches you, you feel it.’ He’s got a strong punch... We just keep trying to help him get better."

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:37 am 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

This is so funny I could cry.....it may seem irrelevant, the cutting of some journeyman on a team full of journeymen, but this is one of the key factors when we try to understand just what is wrong with this club yesterday, today and going forward. They have no clue. They have no personnel front office worth a lick. They can't develop players if their lives depended on it. They have a head coach out of touch with his various units given that his head is buried deep in the playbook and in trying to figure out how to call plays for his Laurel and Hardy bunch.

The coaches have been investing time for a couple of years on Sam Young, using him as the first man off the bench as a reserve lineman and third TE on blocking downs, and without exception if the guy can be kept on the bench no one is the worse for it for when the guy gets in there he sucks, yet the team kept him all offseason this year. Did the coaches ever look up and hollered at the personnel office to bring in candidates to compete? I mean, they HAD to know that there had to be someone better than this guy. There had to be. No, that didn't happen, given that the FO was keeping fingers crossed that the oline could stay healthy all season and Gase was somewhere off playing with his X-Os.

Duh!

So now, after another disastrous appearance by Young, costing big plays, penalties and the sort of garbage journeymen will cost you, two days before they might need him they decide to let him go and bring up a guy that has hardly had playing time or practice time. Does this sound like they have a clue? Gase, in his arrogant dismissive way, has talked up Young but now we know the truth and so that can be extended to apply to any and all his players when he tries so defiantly to defend them.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:48 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Great post man. I agree. This team is clueless.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:49 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

One of the positives though is that he can’t be worse than young

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:04 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Makchell wrote:
One of the positives though is that he can’t be worse than young

Yes, you would hope but this Fins thing is to become the absolute best at finding the worst of the worst, go down in flames with them, defend them heartily at the post game PC, then pretend to be wise and decisive when they release the junk they wasted years on......name me one, one, diamond in the rough they've somehow "stolen" from another team or found in the scrap heap? I'm not talking about free agents they had to pay to get, nor am I talking about draftees.

I don't count Rcky Williams nor Trace Armstrong as both costs us picks, Ricky's being a no. 1. However, long before that, back in the day, yes, there I go again back to prehistoric times...back in '69/'70 within a couple of years the Dolphins picked up, get ready: Bob Kuenchenberg (FA from the Eagles), Wayne Moore (some team was trying to hide him under another name but our best GM ever, Joe Thomas, was too clever to fall for that), Jim Langer (FA), and "stole" Larry Little from the Chargers and Nick Bounocontti from the hated Patriots, both for garbage. And the best of them all: Paul Warfield from the Browns for a 3rd round pick! The steal of the century. Four HOF'ers plus Kuech who should be in there by now.

Anywho, it doesn't matter, we still root for these bozos. They are OUR bozos!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:15 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
The coaches have been investing time for a couple of years on Sam Young

I guess we have. We've cut him 4 times in 2 years. Let's hope this is the end.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]