View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 RB Kory Sheets targetting the open KR position 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post RB Kory Sheets targetting the open KR position
I wouldn't count Sheets out. I don't think Hilliard is a lock. He averaged only 3.9 ypc behind a good offensive line. Granted the OL had some injuries, but they were still a very good unit. My money is on Sheets.

RotoWorld wrote:
Dolphins RB Kory Sheets acknowledged that the best way for him to make the roster is as a kick returner.

Sheets is a long shot to pass Lex Hilliard for the No. 4 running back job, so he's focusing on the wide open return gig. "That's the job I want because I figure it's the quickest way to get on the field and make an impact," he said.

www.rotoworld.com

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:09 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Post Re: RB Kory Sheets targetting the open KR position
Big Dave wrote:
My money is on Sheets.

I will gladly take it when you he doesn't make the roster :grin:

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:41 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Iowafin wrote:
Big Dave wrote:
My money is on Sheets.

I will gladly take it when you he doesn't make the roster :grin:

It's going to be tough on Sheets because he is battling some WR's for that job. Right now, we do need another WR but we don't need another RB, so, having a WR win the job would be ideal.

Also, Hilliard proved his worth last year catching out of the backfield. He's a hard guy to bring down 1 on 1 in the open field as he's very powerful and has Ronnie Brown like elusiveness with those quick side to side jukes.

Sheets is a good player though, no doubt, and right now he would bring something to the table that we don't have at RB. Is Hilliard really needed though? When Ronnie and Cobbs went down last year, he became valuable; but does he really bring anything new to the table that Ronnie, Ricky and Cobbs don't already bring? Sheets is a guy that you can activate on Sunday, and know that he will make an impact (if he's the KR). You can also put him in on offense and use his speed. What would be the point in giving Hilliard any touches with a healthy trio of RB's?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:17 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Hilliard will not survive the waiver wire though....If anything were to happen to Ricky or Ronnie, Hilliard is the only one of the three (Cobbs, himself, Sheets) to have the potential to carry the load. Hilliard is the Williams-Brown insurance policy for the next big Ronnie Injury, or Ricky's prolonged retirement. Once Ricky is gone, Hilliard can take over. Once Ronnie is hurt, Hilliard can fill in. Either way, we need to carry him on the roster to prevent losing him to the Lions or such in trying to drop him to the PS..... I can think of a trade, yet then we lose our heir to the RB empire, which we do not know how long will remain.

If Ricky doesnt get hurt this season, I easily see him signing his contract extension scribbled on the back of Bill Parcell's rib wet nap.....
If The CBA is favorable, and Ronnie is productive after his latest injury, I see him getting a new deal. Although, I wouldnt put a sign-and-trade situation far from grasp. If Henne emerges with Marshall as his target, Ronnie becomes expendable for a first or 2nd round pick (depending on performance).
Both "if's " could keep the R&R express together through '11, or the train could derail some point towards the end of this season. Either way, Hilliard needs to be on the roster for fear of losing young legs.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:05 am

SkyHigh314 wrote:
Hilliard will not survive the waiver wire though....If anything were to happen to Ricky or Ronnie, Hilliard is the only one of the three (Cobbs, himself, Sheets) to have the potential to carry the load. Hilliard is the Williams-Brown insurance policy for the next big Ronnie Injury, or Ricky's prolonged retirement. Once Ricky is gone, Hilliard can take over. Once Ronnie is hurt, Hilliard can fill in. Either way, we need to carry him on the roster to prevent losing him to the Lions or such in trying to drop him to the PS..... I can think of a trade, yet then we lose our heir to the RB empire, which we do not know how long will remain.

If Ricky doesnt get hurt this season, I easily see him signing his contract extension scribbled on the back of Bill Parcell's rib wet nap.....
If The CBA is favorable, and Ronnie is productive after his latest injury, I see him getting a new deal. Although, I wouldnt put a sign-and-trade situation far from grasp. If Henne emerges with Marshall as his target, Ronnie becomes expendable for a first or 2nd round pick (depending on performance).
Both "if's " could keep the R&R express together through '11, or the train could derail some point towards the end of this season. Either way, Hilliard needs to be on the roster for fear of losing young legs.

He's not eligible for the practice squad anyway, so, either he makes it or he doesn't.

I don't think he's the RB of the future. Even if Ronnie were to get hurt, you still have Ricky and Cobbs, and with Marshall at WR Miami does not have to rely on the running game as much if it doesn't have to. That said, I don't see much reason for him to stay. He's a good special teamer and receiver out of the backfield, but those things are very replaceable with the guys we currently have on the roster.

If Hilliard is our starting RB in the future, we're in trouble and clearly have not invested enough in a young RB. He's a serviceable depth guy, but nothing more IMO, and I don't think Coach should lose any sleep over releasing him.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:31 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I wouldnt go out on a limb and say he is the RB of the future.... But I would go out on a limb and say that Hilliard should be slotted to be our semi-truck in the backfield.... Face it, this regime is all about role players, and I believe that will be Hilliards role Post-R&R.... Not saying he is to be a feature back under any circumstances, but Hilliard allows the Phins to go out and get a Ray Rice type back, MJD, chris Johnson, Sproles.... whichever. While this organization loves the power Run game, Hilliard in one or 2 years time can be our Clydesdale and give the FO the flexibility of finding a mustang to compliment as the feature....... as opposed to finding a complete stallion... For example: C.J. Spiller & Hilliard as a combo could be pretty fearsome....... but C.J. by himself with Cobbs (not saying that Cobbs is a step down, but there is no one to lay the lumber). It would make finding the heir apparent that much easier once the R&R have made their last tour..... if all else, Hilliard has trade value

Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:14 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I don't know if this has been mentioned lately, but Domenik Hixon was released by NY....yes, we have RGM right now and some other competition for the KR/PR, but Hixon has done it and has proven to be quite good at it. In addition, he has a ton more experience as a receiver than RGM.

So, if I were the GM I'd seriously consider adding HIxon.

Thoughts on that?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:24 pm

Iowafin wrote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned lately, but Domenik Hixon was released by NY....yes, we have RGM right now and some other competition for the KR/PR, but Hixon has done it and has proven to be quite good at it. In addition, he has a ton more experience as a receiver than RGM.

Thoughts on that?

I would too, if he hadn't torn his ACL a few weeks ago.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:08 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

Thoughts on that?

I would too, if he hadn't torn his ACL a few weeks ago.

Well I missed the boat on that :embarrassed:

Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]