Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
 Post subject: Miami at New England
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:27 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

We are almost a quarter of the way through the NFL season and your Miami Dolphins are undefeated. They have an enormous opportunity to make a statement this Sunday in Foxboro and send the dreaded New England Patriots to a 1-3 record. Game time is 1 PM, the Pats are currently favored by 7 with a 47.5 O/U.

At first I didn't appreciate the importance of this game because it is still early in the season. On the road against the Pats usually spells disaster for Miami. They haven't won in New England since the Wildcat game in 2008 and I think that is potentially a good omen for the Dolphins. It takes creativity on offense to beat a Bill Belichick defense and Head Coach Adam Gase is not holding back this year. New England is wounded, frustrated and not nearly as talented as previous seasons. If, and that is a big IF, Miami can beat them they will have won two division road games before October 1st and will have found a much easier path to the playoffs.

After a standard Patriots style victory in Week 1, New England has lost two straight with their offense being invisible. Tom Brady was visibly frustrated and appeared to mail it in against Detroit on Sunday evening. I can't say I blame him as GM Belichick has decided to go cheap and attempt to win with everyone else's cast offs. The X factor this week could be recently acquired WR Josh Gordon. He is big, fast and certainly a playmaker when he is focused on football. The New England offense is complicated and all about timing so I'm not sure he'll be a center piece. Rob Gronkowski will continue to be a nightmare matchup and Brady usually finds ways to get his running backs heavily involved in the passing game. For New England to snap out of its funk they'll need to get their guys in space and expose Miami's coverage and tackling issues.

New England's defense ranks 25th in yards allowed and a staggering 30th in rushing yards allowed. Don't fall for the trap just yet as we saw Oakland do everything in its power to limit Miami's ground game, or so we thought. While they were credited as receptions, the Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant shovel receptions were clearly more running plays that had excellent blocking and explosive speed. Belichick doesn't want running backs Kenyan Drake and Frank Gore wearing down the defense with consistent 5 or 6 yard carries. Adam Gase will need to dial up some trickery to keep New England off balance, and, make sure that QB Ryan Tannehill uses his legs as well as his arm to keep the chains moving.

Speaking of Tannehill, he is delivering how I expected so far. Steady, some flashes but otherwise nothing eye popping. Quite frankly that is how I like it. Limit your mistakes and seize opportunities which he has done with some nice touchdown throws. He will need to be on point and make a few clutch throws down field. The Patriots secondary only has one interception this season (the other two were from LBs) and has given up 7 touchdown passes.

One thing Miami has not been is consistent in any facet of the game. The offense has been slow and played complimentary ball when the defense provides turnovers. The defense has given up a lot of chunk plays but redeemed themselves with interceptions. New England is not the type of opponent where you can do that because Tom Brady limits mistakes and Bill Belichick seems to always find a way to win at home. The Dolphins need to have Drake/Gore/Tannehill produce over 100 yards rushing, Tannehill to throw or guide the team to at least 3 TDs, and the defense has to prevent extended drives.

The best way to stop Brady is with constant pressure and Miami is now without William Hayes and Andre Branch on the edges. We all know Robert Quinn and Cameron Wake will do their share and the some, but its time for Charles Harris to have a big boy game. Make Brady uncomfortable and throw off his rhythm. The secondary, probably Minkah Fitzpatrick in the slot, will need to eliminate Gronkowski and force Brady to throw to smaller targets. That should shorten up the field and create 3 and outs.

I try to go with what my gut tells me but instead will keep positive energy flowing for this team. There is definitely a new chemistry and different vibe. While it is highly unlikely they go into Foxboro and beat an angry Patriots squad I'm still going to predict the upset. At some point Miami is going to get punched in the mouth by an opponent but why apply that to this weekend.

Miami makes a statement.

Miami 23

New England 21

Last edited by jammer on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Miami at New England
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:08 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Good post Jammer. One thing this team has shown is that it is resilient so far. They have taken a few punches and responded. Game may come down to turnovers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:46 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFL.com is giving us he same odds I said the other day. 40%. I’ll take it.

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:44 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Current odds have Miami a 7 point dog. In previous seasons, I would say that Vegas is correct. However, this season feels a bit different. The NE team does not seem to have the same talent level, and they appear to be off. We are playing them at a good point in that Edelman is out and Gordon has only been with the team 2 weeks. I think Miami has slightly better than 50-50 to pull off the upset.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:57 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

I think Miami comes back down to Earth this week. As jammer pointed out, the Dolphins are lacking consistency... honestly in all three facets of the game. The offense struggles early and disappears at times, the defense gives up chunk yards, we gave up a KO return for a touchdown against the Titans.

Hopefully New England doesn't come out of the gate fast. If Miami can keep this a game of body blows, they have a shot to win. But if New England lands some headshots early, it will be a long Sunday for the Dolphins.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:00 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I was thinking the same. NE's back is against a wall. Miami has a 2 game lead. The line is about right considering the circumstances. NE is also getting a few key players back. If Miami can turn this into a slugfest and grind out yardage on the ground, I can see them having a chance to win.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I will say that if NE had trouble keeping up with Lion's crossing patterns, Jakeem Wilson and Albert Grant, I'll go with Jakeem Wilson for the combo, will give them nightmares..... 3...2....1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:08 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

if Miami doesn't copy exactly what Patricia did, then forget it...it's all there on film...I can't see the Lions having better personnel....they doubled teamed Gronk, taking away the only weapon Brady trusts....a number of passes to Gronk were basically throw aways since he was so well covered but Brady was looking for the flag.....

...oh, and no. 28 out of the backfield. I think Miami gets Rashad Jones back, anyone know if he's still doubtful? And Burke, pls don't let Bellichick hone in on McMillan in the middle....protect the kid.

Then there's the Miami offense...who knows? Case's play calling? If we can run and move the chains w/out 2nd and 3rd and longs, depending on Thill and protection? If Thill can come up with a clutch game? I'm not sure yet what we have there.

This is Gase's ultimate shot at showing everyone he's got it together.....can't recall a year in recent memory we went into NE with the possibility of so much to gain....if they lay an egg as they have done so many times in key games they will be the frauds so many are expecting to see again...on the other hand, if they at least compete, play NE tough, be in the game to the end, then I'll take it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:29 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

As I said guys I didn't go with my gut but rather keeping a positive vibe. This the type of game Miami usually loses and even if they do it won't kill their season.

There is a possibility Gase has enough tricks up his sleeve to pull this off and Tannehill has had a few clutch throws per game with limited mistakes. LBs need to step up and keep the running backs contained. Hopefully Jones returns because the secondary can neuter NE by taking away Gronk.

Best thing would be the ground game just dominating and killing the clock. You have 5 guys - Drake, Gore, Tannehill, Wilson and Grant - who can contribute to it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:19 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

" I think Miami gets Rashad Jones back, anyone know if he's still doubtful?"

Rashad is one of the main keys for a possible Miami win IMO. We need him to help cover the middle and help out in run support. Brady loves throwing dinks and dunks to the center of the field, he'll feast on Mcmillan and Alonso covering. If we can get a couple of INTs in the middle to stop scoring drives, and harass Brady most of the game, we have a chance.

On offense, we have to get Gore and Drake going again. Limit the time Brady has the ball, like the Lions did Monday Night. We can't lose the time of possession battle and expect to win. Trouble here is that Ted Larsen is no Josh Sitton. I hope they have more trick plays to try, because I think they will need them. Look for Parker and Gisecky to get more involved this week. And I can see Amendola having a great game this week too, just to show Belichik up for not resigning him.

Special teams, we need Hauck (sp?) to continue his excellent punting so far, by pinning the Patriots inside the 15........would be real nice to not even think about the punter, but you know we'll see him in the 1st half as we always start slow. Kick and punt coverage was much better last week.

Look, although it was in Miami, we beat the crap out of the Patriots last time we played them, with Jay Friggin Cutler at QB. I think this team is better, far better actually. The Patriots seem to have a worse team this year. This should be a cakewalk for us. Time to make a statement.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:51 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
I think Miami comes back down to Earth this week. As jammer pointed out, the Dolphins are lacking consistency... honestly in all three facets of the game. The offense struggles early and disappears at times, the defense gives up chunk yards, we gave up a KO return for a touchdown against the Titans.

Hopefully New England doesn't come out of the gate fast. If Miami can keep this a game of body blows, they have a shot to win. But if New England lands some headshots early, it will be a long Sunday for the Dolphins.

I am afraid you are right about this game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:34 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Big game. I can't wait for our win over NE.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

carreramia wrote:
if Miami doesn't copy exactly what Patricia did, then forget it...

There is more than one way to skin a pat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:56 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

My keys to the game:

1. Double team Gronk every freakin' play.
2. Somebody has to stop the Pats RBs from killing us in the passing game.
3. Our O-line has to win against their D-line in the running game.
4. Tannehill has to continue his season of making clutch throws and limiting mistakes.
5. As others have said, control the clock.

Follow this recipe and win.
Or just do what Gase says and win.
Just win, baby.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:02 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

k-dash wrote:
Just win, baby.

Immortal philosophy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:46 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Right to the point ... 24 - 14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:21 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

k-dash wrote:
My keys to the game:

1. Double team Gronk every freakin' play.
2. Somebody has to stop the Pats RBs from killing us in the passing game.
3. Our O-line has to win against their D-line in the running game.
4. Tannehill has to continue his season of making clutch throws and limiting mistakes.
5. As others have said, control the clock.

Follow this recipe and win.
Or just do what Gase says and win.
Just win, baby.

If Miami successfully executes this way they will win by at least a TD. Easier said than done.

If I'm putting money on Belichick's gameplan I think it is the following:

Copy what Gruden did early with Nelson. Have Chris Hogan and Philip Dorsett confuse the safety on where to help and get behind the corners. This will require good pass protection, which of course is a wild card.

He will run hard at Miami's interior who now lack William Hayes and Andre Branch. I wouldn't doubt he advises his OL to take subtle cheap shots to try and get a Miami player to fight back and be ejected the way the Raiders did last week. I'm very uneasy with Miami only adding Jonathan Woodward because the DL is now thin. Have to get more bodies so the rest don't get worn out.

Have Brady throw a bunch of 50/50 balls to Gronk knowing the refs are going to call PI all day in the Pats favor. Home game, hostile crowd and the refs ALWAYS do the Pats a solid in Foxboro.

Make Tannehill throw the ball. Expect a ton of press coverage to knock the speedy guys off their routes and kill timing. This would be the perfect game for Devante Parker and Mike Gesicki to step up and use their size. The Pats defense is very slow so Belichick will do everything he can to prevent Grant and Wilson from getting the ball in their hands.

Blitz the heck out of Tannehill. If the secondary can stifle guys for even a split second it will be sack/QB hit city on Tannehill. I believe NE gets Tre Flowers back who should be a big help. I just fear it will look like the early portions of the Jets game where Tannehill probably looked his worst this season.

Stopping Drake and Gore, which now is easier if Derby is out. I don't have much faith in Gesicki blocking and not sure Gase wants Smythe to get a ton of snaps. Might have to do a lot of Drake and Gore in the backfield at the same time, forcing the defense to wonder if either them or Tannehill will take off running. This also opens Tannehill up to more hits if he can't get out of bounds quick enough.

I'm not trying to be Negative Norman here, just stating the obvious. A lot of history would suggest this is the game Miami gets knocked down. Omar Kelly, who usually is the most pessimistic regarding Miami's chances, just wrote an article saying this is the best chance Miami has had in forever to pull off the upset. I'm trying my hardest to believe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:59 am 

Relive1972 wrote:
" I think Miami gets Rashad Jones back, anyone know if he's still doubtful?"

Rashad is one of the main keys for a possible Miami win IMO. We need him to help cover the middle and help out in run support. Brady loves throwing dinks and dunks to the center of the field, he'll feast on Mcmillan and Alonso covering. If we can get a couple of INTs in the middle to stop scoring drives, and harass Brady most of the game, we have a chance.

On offense, we have to get Gore and Drake going again. Limit the time Brady has the ball, like the Lions did Monday Night. We can't lose the time of possession battle and expect to win. Trouble here is that Ted Larsen is no Josh Sitton. I hope they have more trick plays to try, because I think they will need them. Look for Parker and Gisecky to get more involved this week. And I can see Amendola having a great game this week too, just to show Belichik up for not resigning him.

Special teams, we need Hauck (sp?) to continue his excellent punting so far, by pinning the Patriots inside the 15........would be real nice to not even think about the punter, but you know we'll see him in the 1st half as we always start slow. Kick and punt coverage was much better last week.

Look, although it was in Miami, we beat the crap out of the Patriots last time we played them, with Jay Friggin Cutler at QB. I think this team is better, far better actually. The Patriots seem to have a worse team this year. This should be a cakewalk for us. Time to make a statement.

What's up buddy? Good to see you here!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:46 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Salguero reporting that Reshad Jones is expected to play. That makes a big difference in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:10 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Just re-watched every Tannehill vs Oakland snap on YouTube (great video series by the way, you guys should look it up).

No question in my mind Gase is going to have Tannehill aiming downfield more to Gesicki and Parker. Belichick will do everything he can to eliminate short stuff and Miami's speed because he knows it will eventually kill his defense. Obviously if New England can get frequent pressure they'll have to abandon this, but I think that will be the initial plan. It will work even better if they can establish a running game to use play action.

I really liked what I saw from Parker and Gesicki. Love how this offense can go in different directions and I'm starting to understand how Gase and company built this unit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:04 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

If we can get Parker to step up, our WR corps would be amazing.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Salguero reporting that Reshad Jones is expected to play. That makes a big difference in my opinion.

Absolutely. Huge factor. You bet the the house that man will want to ball out and show up for this one.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:19 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

12-5....Money!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:25 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

My new biggest fear is the refs. I can totally see Miami going ahead in the 4th quarter and the refs granting a bogus PI or roughing call on 3rd down to the Pats. Then they score and game over.

Now one call should never define a game because each time has nearly 50 plays to execute. But it would be such a Patriots thing to have the refs "grant" them a comeback victory at home.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:59 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I do like that no one in big media is picking Miami to win. Slows down the hype a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:38 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
My new biggest fear is the refs. I can totally see Miami going ahead in the 4th quarter and the refs granting a bogus PI or roughing call on 3rd down to the Pats. Then they score and game over.

Now one call should never define a game because each time has nearly 50 plays to execute. But it would be such a Patriots thing to have the refs "grant" them a comeback victory at home.

This is what defines what the Patriots have been.. I'm sure everyone around has seen it a million times.

They love to call penalties that affect field position. A punt or return suddenly goes from the 20 to the 10 yard line.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:25 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

IMO, one of the big keys for the Fins is containing Michel. I think the Pats are going to feed him the ball.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:12 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Call me crazy, but waking up today I have much different feeling about the game. I think Miami has a real shot today. This isn't hype or talking myself into it, just a gut feeling.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:42 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Well....I think Miami has a shot, but it is not going to be an easy win.

Let’s be real here. Miami’s 3 wins came against teams that are a combined 3 wins and 6 losses. Yes the Pats are 1-2 and they lost to the lowly Lions....but how much did new Lions coach Matt Patricia have to do with that? As the former DC for the Patsies, he had a lot of insider knowledge.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:43 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rashad jones on the inactive list

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:29 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Well...they r losing badly. Surprise, surprise.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:43 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I really thought this year was different. I really thought they were ready to make a statement today. I was so wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:35 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Tough Loss today, 38-7 Gezz.

Did Ryan Tannehill not move slower today?

It seemed like Brock Oswiler moved a lot quicker and was more fluid than Tannehill.

Penalties and turnovers killed us.

Thanks and Kudos to Frank Gore for running hard at the end of the game and saving us from getting a donut.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:14 pm 

Oswiler looked ok, because of the score....

We looked really bad on offense, end of story. Everyone looked bad on offense. Not one guy more than the other.....the Offense stunk. This was the same Dolphins team we all know. Unable to move the ball on offense.

There is no defense (that I know of) that can overcome and "hold on", 3 and out after 3 and out, plus bad field position due to the offense and special team mistakes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:45 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Different year same sh*t. Meodocre players equals crap results Keep watching f-ing criminals...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:56 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

ytnewton wrote:
Keep watching f-ing criminals...

This loss was a red pill, but that’s a broad and ignorant statement.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:11 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

That was a shameful game, particularly for the offense. Throw in more injuries to starters too! Unfortunately, this is what I think the Phins are like. They can beat trash teams and with some luck (Titans lost 3 offensive starters, including their QB, against the Phins), they can beat good teams. However, they lack the talent and coaching to control their own destiny against quality teams. We will learn a lot in the next two weeks. Cincy is very good and Chicago is playing extremely well this year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phinished wrote:
However, they lack the talent and coaching to control their own destiny against quality teams. We will learn a lot in the next two weeks. Cincy is very good and Chicago is playing extremely well this year.

I was very disappointed in Gase today. Belichick is dropping 6 or 7 guys into coverage and you keep throwing down field? Where were the option runs? Some trickery? Why not let Drake get into a rhythm running the ball?

On the road at Cincy is very tough. Chicago, while good, has a QB who can be baited into picks. That plays well to Miami if the offense can go back to playing complimentary ball.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:53 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Tannehill was starting to look good because of the score too.. They should have kept him in...

The other silver lining is..Brock Oswiler is better than Moore and that's saying a lot. Hopefully he gets to play against some teams in give up mode.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:21 pm 

Rich wrote:

You heard it here first.

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]