All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:38 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

There's nothing really to debate. They've now played 16 games together.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:44 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

The debate is going to be answered this coming Sunday.. You want respect, you have to step up in big games.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:49 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You want respect, you have to step up in big games.

100% agree

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:49 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

The Patriots are in our way.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:04 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Kev1321 wrote:
The debate is going to be answered this coming Sunday.. You want respect, you have to step up in big games.

Always holding out that carrot for the next "big" game, eh?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Last big game he played in that would have put us in the driver's seat was the Ravens..

The Patriots have won the division time and time again..This is a game at New England you should circle every year as a game to play your best ball if you want to be a winner..

Not San Francisco not the Jets not the Chargers..The division king.

Does he have to walk out with a win? No. He has to play like a champion!

I mean we could talk about that home win against Cleveland that part of his big win total?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I think you'll see Tannehill do exactly what he's done the last two games = be steady, make a few big throws and keep Miami in it.

Thankfully NE doesn't look like a team that is capable of a shootout so perhaps Miami can stick with what they've been doing, at least offensively. They're averaging 25 points per game which is pretty darn good.

I just worry that the defense may get outcoached in this one. They have lived off turnovers and the offense has used that to bail themselves out of stalled drives. Brady isn't going to take risky shots like Carr and Darnold.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:35 pm 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

LOL, anybody who doesn't believe he can lead us deep into the playoffs either knows nothing about football, or just has a personal agenda.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:43 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

While it sounds unlikely, I think the Patriots were possibly looking past the Lions game and at us. The Lions were everyone's whipping boy going into that game, and we are an AFC East opponent that had beaten them the last go around. I thint most of us still believe that this Patriots team is a potential Super Bowl team. They've dug themselves in a hole, the media is trying to bury them again, but this is nothing new.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Recall the 2014 season in which the Patriots started 2-2. The first loss came in Miami and their second loss was a 41-14 drubbing at Kansas City, after which local and national media spent time discussing the dynasty’s collapse.

That was late September.

And months later, on Feb. 1, the Patriots won the Super Bowl.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

And, back on topic here, Kev. Tannehill does not have to prove anything to you as he is who he is: an 11-5 QB. No one said he was the next Dan Marino ... who got his butt handed to him to the Bills in the "big games", too (no disrespect to "Da Man" here).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:58 am 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

So when the Dolphins beat them will we hear that this is a gutted Patriot team that sooner or later had to come back to mediocrity.
Gase / Tannehill will be a successful combo for many years.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:39 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

FINesse wrote:
So when the Dolphins beat them will we hear that this is a gutted Patriot team that sooner or later had to come back to mediocrity.
Gase / Tannehill will be a successful combo for many years.

While this may be a down year for the Pats, they are King of the Hill until someone, hopefully Miami, knocks them off. Gase & Tannehill have some good chemistry going. I am very hopeful about Sunday, as I think that with a win, there will be a lot of folks taking notice of what Gase and Tannehill are doing in Miami.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:01 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Dolphin Dad wrote:
LOL, anybody who doesn't believe he can lead us deep into the playoffs either knows nothing about football, or just has a personal agenda.

Lol...Because he has done it so many times before.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:34 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

:saywhat

Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins are 11-5 in games both started by Tannehill and coached by Gase, including 10 wins in their past 11 games.

Since 2016 — Gase’s first season — Tannehill is seventh in the league in passer rating at 98.0, behind only Tom Brady (105.6); Drew Brees (104.8); Matt Ryan (104.5); Aaron Rodgers (102.5); Alex Smith (98.5) and Deshaun Watson (98.5).

Since 2016, Tannehill is third in completion percentage at 68 percent, behind Brees at 71.8 and Sam Bradford at 70.7.

Since 2016, Tannehill is fourth in yards per attempt at 7.95, behind Ryan at 8.50, Jimmy Garoppolo at 8.42 and Watson at 8.29.

Overall, in those 16 games, Tannehill is 315 of 463 for 3,682 yards and 26 TDs and 14 interceptions.

Barry Jackson wrote:
And consider this: Since the start of this decade, Tannehill’s combination of at least 68 percent completion percentage, 3,682 yards passing and 98.0 rating or higher (during his 16 games under Gase) has been done only 15 times by NFL quarterbacks through seven seasons. Brees accounts for five of those 15, Ryan and Peyton Manning two each.

That’s a top third of the league quarterback, folks, and should give any Dolphins fan hope about the future. It’s why one CBS analyst, Brandon Tierney, predicted Tannehill could be another Rich Gannon, who blossomed late in his career and made four Pro Bowls and an MVP award.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/ ... rylink=cpy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:32 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I don't think a single game defines a QB, but I'll be very impressed if Miami wins and post game we hear that Gase and Tannehill viewed film and figured out weaknesses, and on the field Tannehill executed and exploited said weaknesses.

That to me would say Miami has a QB defenses must now fear.

We've seen Tannehill have good games and rack up stats against good opponents. I'm not going to feel better if he goes out and has good numbers but doesn't beat what the defense gives him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:33 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I never realized how awesome he is.... Tannehill is a winner!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
We've seen Tannehill have good games and rack up stats against good opponents. I'm not going to feel better if he goes out and has good numbers but doesn't beat what the defense gives him.

We've seen that he is a very intelligent quarterback, so, I think the Gase has the accurate & mobile quarterback that he needs to run this offense. What I really like is that Tannehill really knows this offense, and the receivers run such great routes that he can anticipate where they should be. That pass last week to Amendola is a credit to this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:07 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It's only 3 games, but this is a pretty good stat on his improvement. Since he knows the offense better and his receivers are where they are supposed to be, he isn't getting hit back in the pocket as much, he is doing well under pressure.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:12 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

A lot of the media are starting to take notice of Tannehill's improvement.

Barry Jackson wrote:
Gannon, by phone, said: “You could say he doesn’t have Aaron Rodgers’ arm or Drew Brees’ release, but he’s getting better. You look at his production, his toughness, his perseverance, his moxie, his grit. He’s got a lot of the intangibles you like. He’s making big plays with his arms and his legs. You take away his best lineman, one of best receivers and it’s [somehow] helped. He’s coming into his own. I’m proud of the work this kid has put in.”

Gannon, speaking on the AFC, said “there are two teams that jump out to me when you look at precision, execution, team speed” – the Chiefs and Dolphins.

“Jakeem Grant is a much better receiver,” Gannon said. “The secondary has a chance to be pretty good. Minkah Fitzpatrick is going to be really good. But the linebacker position is a work in progress and William Hayes [lost for the season] was their best interior run defender.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

And this one is nutso. Tannehill is a good QB, but he needs to be in a good system built around his skillset. Marino could play in ANY system and still be Da Man.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:50 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

^^^^^^^^

Oh please....Marino did it back when you could molest the receivers all over the field and deliver vicious hits every play. And Marino pushed the ball downfield often. His TD strikes were not typically 2 yard tosses that the receiver turned into a TD. Tannehill’s numbers got a huge boost from the Raiders ineptitude and short passes going for huge gains.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:21 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

11-6 isn't so bad... Number 12 is coming, soon!

Just look at all those above numbers..Never bet against a trend.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:44 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Phinished wrote:
^^^^^^^^

Oh please....Marino did it back when you could molest the receivers all over the field and deliver vicious hits every play. And Marino pushed the ball downfield often. His TD strikes were not typically 2 yard tosses that the receiver turned into a TD. Tannehill’s numbers got a huge boost from the Raiders ineptitude and short passes going for huge gains.

Yup. If you take away to the two shovel pass plays Tannehill has a 96 passer rating which puts him somewhere around 15th in the league. Decent/good QB in today's game who is interchangeable with many others.

80 plus starts and you can count on two hands the amount of times he has taken over a game for the team. Doesn't mean you have to discard him quickly but don't pass if a special talent is available.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:21 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
For those that ride that bogus Tannehill/Gase stat.
Together 11-6 Overall.
11 Wins vs teams with .355 winning pct.
2016 SF, LAR, SD, NYJ, BUF, PIT, ARI, CLE
2018 NYJ, OAK, TEN
6 Loses vs teams with .583 winning pct
2016 SEA, NE, CIN, TEN, BALT
2018 NE#RealStats @TheAthleticMIA

https://twitter.com/BigOShow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:37 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I know Big O loves to hate on the Dolphins but let's put those simplified stats into context:

Cleveland was 1-15, SF was 2-14. That's like saying Tannehill had a huge statistical day against Oakland when 2 TDs and nearly 100 yards were on shovel passes. It severely deflates the opponent winning percentage.

Pittsburgh was 11-5, Buffalo 7-9, Arizona 7-8-1, San Diego 4-12, Los Angeles 5-11, New York 5-11

So they beat teams that were bad, about their level and surprised a really good team. They also lost at the last minute to both Seattle and New England, both on the road. Losses to Baltimore and Cincinnati were also on the road. San Diego, Los Angeles and Arizona were all .500 clubs when Miami beat them. Buffalo was 4-2 when Miami beat them.

There were only 10 out of 32 teams that year with double digit wins. Who exactly was Miami supposed to beat week in week out?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:51 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Phins are in control of their own destiny at 3-1 top of the AFC East division.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:09 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

On to Cincinnati!!

Number 12 is coming..The Red Bomber is not up to this matchup.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:23 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Isn't it the Red Rifle?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:27 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
Isn't it the Red Rifle?

Oh ya! Him too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:37 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

jammer wrote:
I know Big O loves to hate on the Dolphins but let's put those simplified stats into context:

Cleveland was 1-15, SF was 2-14. That's like saying Tannehill had a huge statistical day against Oakland when 2 TDs and nearly 100 yards were on shovel passes. It severely deflates the opponent winning percentage.

Pittsburgh was 11-5, Buffalo 7-9, Arizona 7-8-1, San Diego 4-12, Los Angeles 5-11, New York 5-11

So they beat teams that were bad, about their level and surprised a really good team. They also lost at the last minute to both Seattle and New England, both on the road. Losses to Baltimore and Cincinnati were also on the road. San Diego, Los Angeles and Arizona were all .500 clubs when Miami beat them. Buffalo was 4-2 when Miami beat them.

There were only 10 out of 32 teams that year with double digit wins. Who exactly was Miami supposed to beat week in week out?

We have started beating teams we should beat... a 7-9 - 9-7 team should beat the 3,4,5 win teams, and lose to the 10,11,12 win teams...

That is a step forward from upsetting a winning team then flopping to a 2 win team the next week...

That being said, this is still a middle of the road team, I am not expecting more than 9 wins.. Gase returns, maybe he adds so competition to the QB room...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:55 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Cleveland may have been a win in the won/loss column...But really!

Tannehill had to carry us on his back for that one. And the Patriots were 1-2 and they got embarrassed...Can you say exposed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Ok so 11-7 isn't so bad.... I know this isn't a trend going the wrong way because of the solid track record from past years..

The Bears are in trouble this week..#12for17thisweek!

Last edited by Kev1321 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:21 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Going to be 11-8 real soon.

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]