All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:31 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

...a very enjoyable Thursday night game, definitely a new star is "born". No question we will be seeing a lot of good things from Mayfield. The kid is a dynamic field presence, just injects a high level energy into the game. He took over the whole stadium last night. If the Browns can avoid screwing up their upcoming drafts and can cap manage the thing, they will join the up and coming franchises, the ones taking over. Rams. Jaguars. Eagles. Chiefs. Vikings. And the thing they have in common is they all have QBs. Real QBs, not projects or wait and sees. OK, the Jaguars may not totally qualify in that respect but they are around, certainly much closer than not.

I saw a bit of Mayfield in college but last night? Maybe it was the Jets, but man, he was throwing missiles downfield. The speed from deciding where he was throwing to the ball getting to its target was a whole lot different than what I'm used to seeing when watching the Fins. I asked myself: is that how it's supposed to look like? And there wasn't any or very little of dump offs or check downs. Downfield bullets, often into close coverage. I miss that kind of "force" from our team. We had it once.

Anyway, the long overdue rebirth of the Browns seems afoot. For lack of a kicker they should be 3-0.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:17 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

After last night's epic performance, he will be a 1st ballot HOF for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:37 am 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

You forgot to mention landry's presents on the team. He had a ok game last night which
makes him just a bit more brass, more cocky, more confrontational, more vocal and that
slowly erodes team moral. It is the reason he is not here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:44 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Landry had an awesome game last night, not just okay. I agree with his emotional baggage. Just think he needs to be on a team like the Browns.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:59 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I have to admit Landry behaved himself greatly given the amount of plays he was making...in Miami he would taunt and brag, get on his DBs face, and this was after a 2 yd gain. Last night Landry's "game" even drew a key personal foul penalty against one of the Jets DBs, keeping a drive alive. He gets under the skin of these young and brash DBs and without as much as a word he gets them to react to his advantage.

He committed a stupid block from behind which didn't cost them in the end and he did drop one, or better, it bounced off his pads, he let the ball get in to him, but the fingertips, hands only catch he made at the goal line with a DB draped all over him was all Landry. On another he was clocked as he caught it. He held on, got up and walked back to the huddle, and that end around pass to Mayfield on the 2-pts was on the money. He might get in trouble down the road, a diva he is, but for last night he was all about the game.

I wish him well, he's in a real system now. I can't remember, although someone will probably dig it up and remind me, last time he did 8 for 103, about a 13 yd average. Here he needed two catches to make that much.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:57 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

carreramia wrote:

I wish him well, he's in a real system now.

I about choked when I read that. You realize this is the team that has now won 5 of it last 51 games, right? Yeah, he's in a real system now, that's for sure.

Mayfield may be great. I really wanted him in this draft. But do you remember how great Sam Darnold looked in his first game? The Browns are better than they were the last couple of years, for sure. But to put them in the same category as the Jags and Eagles after 1 good half of football?

:speechless

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:24 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
...definitely a new star is "born".

He has one half. One. Half...of football played to shape out his evidently regal NFL career. Did Sam Darnold win your heart over that easily earlier this month in Detroit?

carreramia wrote:
I saw a bit of Mayfield in college. I asked myself: is that how it's supposed to look like? And there wasn't any or very little of dump offs or check downs. Downfield bullets, often into close coverage. I miss that kind of "force" from our team. We had it once.

One half of football and he is compared to Dan Marino.

carreramia wrote:
I wish him (Landry) well, he's in a real system now.

k-dash wrote:
You realize this is the team that has now won 5 of it last 51 games, right?

Nonsense. Mayfield & Landry are in a real system now. Hue’s record as the Cleveland head is biblical...concerning the Egyptian plagues...

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:40 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Landry got into a fight with a cb last night. No flag was called.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:00 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

carreramia wrote:
...Rams. Jaguars. Eagles. Chiefs. Vikings. And the thing they have in common is they all have QBs. Real QBs, not projects or wait and sees. OK, the Jaguars may not totally qualify in that respect but they are around, certainly much closer than not.

Pretty easy to look like a successful young QB when just about every other position around you is in top shape. I think you're prematurely anointing a few of these guys.

We've seen what Bortles has done when asked to shoulder the load. If you let Cutler/Moore play for the Jags last year they'd be just as successful. Cousins got his team to the playoffs once during a 9 win season and he was throwing to a very good receiving group. Wonder how he would look QB'ing the Jets, Seahawks or Bills right now.

There are about 6 elite starting QBs, 5 that are putrid and most of the rest are interchangeable in the rankings during any given season. The league has made it easy for mediocre guys to put up really good stats. Good supporting casts and stout defenses make the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:38 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

No fear boys. Mayfield has been in the league all of 7 minutes and showed the kind of presence, leadership and dynamic play making that after 7 years is still wishful thinking for most of us. It don't matter how many games the Browns have won or lost. It don't matter who they are playing. This is the NFL, where the big boys play. A rookie backup, with likely limited snaps in practice during game week, gets thrown in there cold, 14 pts down and lights the game on fire and I'm sorry but that's pretty impressive.

Then, if the play of the neophyte QB wasn't enough for some Miami fans to grit their teeth when we remember what we have here, the system/play calling employed by the Browns, in one half of football, with a rookie QB at the helm, made a lot more productive use of the very player who in the Miami system came to be known by opponent DCs as Bubble Boy.

Now, in all of this, nothing here takes away anything about what I want for our club, but in order to stay grounded, and real, in my expectations I compare what I see out there to us. Totally natural I think. The fact that it isn't pretty most of the time is just the way it is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:02 pm 

Seems awfully premature to be making any of these conclusions, and I don't see our current team nearly as negatively as you do in terms of the qb, play calling or future potential. Agree to disagree.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:53 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
It don't matter how many games the Browns have won or lost. It don't matter who they are playing.

carreramia wrote:
the system/play calling employed by the Browns, in one half of football, with a rookie QB at the helm, made a lot more productive use of the very player who in the Miami system came to be known by opponent DCs as Bubble Boy.

2-33. Literally the least successful head coach thru two seasons + in NFL history. Dead man walking.

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:43 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

k-dash wrote:
Seems awfully premature to be making any of these conclusions, and I don't see our current team nearly as negatively as you do in terms of the qb, play calling or future potential. Agree to disagree.

what conclusions? you saw the game, it happened, nothing is made up and certainly the performance was more impressive than not, so to conclude that it wasn't real and one should instead scoff at the idea that the kid is good would be far more inaccurate.

and why do the views of our current team have to be negative as if they are good but seen negatively? they are not good, they are average, and like the coach once said, you are who your record says you are and until the team posts winning records they will be average. average is not negative, average is who they are.

and future potential? well, that's just a matter of opinion as you have no idea nor have I until it is actually done, so neither yours or mine can be categorized as negative or positive. people write all kinds of future scenarios, some appear far fetched, but they shouldn't be criticized, they are just opinions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:34 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

carreramia wrote:
...a very enjoyable Thursday night game, definitely a new star is "born". No question we will be seeing a lot of good things from Mayfield. The kid is a dynamic field presence, just injects a high level energy into the game. He took over the whole stadium last night.

I drank the kool-aid and really liked Mayfield coming out of college. I even wanted us to find a way to trade our way up to get him if possible. I think he is going to be very good, but let's be honest ... we don't know that for sure. Matt Moore looked great coming off the bench, too. And, everyone was getting ready to crown Darnold as the next great QB after his first week, but teams need 3 weeks of film to game plan against a QB.

carreramia wrote:
Anyway, the long overdue rebirth of the Browns seems afoot. For lack of a kicker they should be 3-0.

And that is true. Their biggest problem is Hue Jackson. No one should have a job after going 1-31 in two seasons. The Browns pick in the top every year, and they should not be losing like they have. The reason they aren't 3-0 right now falls on the head coach, not the kicker. He chooses his roster. I think Hue is an excellent coordinator, and I'd love to have him as our OC, but as a head coach he is lacking. Due to the accumlation of top draft picks and good free agents over the past several years this team could be another "Jacksonville" in a couple of years, but they need to smarten up and get a better head coach ... one who will convince Greg Williams to sick around on DC. Nice choice by Hue Jackson there. And, let's not crown Mayfield as the next great one yet until we see him actually start a half dozen games.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:56 am 

carreramia wrote:
k-dash wrote:

what conclusions? you saw the game, it happened, nothing is made up and certainly the performance was more impressive than not, so to conclude that it wasn't real and one should instead scoff at the idea that the kid is good would be far more inaccurate.

and why do the views of our current team have to be negative as if they are good but seen negatively? they are not good, they are average, and like the coach once said, you are who your record says you are and until the team posts winning records they will be average. average is not negative, average is who they are.

and future potential? well, that's just a matter of opinion as you have no idea nor have I until it is actually done, so neither yours or mine can be categorized as negative or positive. people write all kinds of future scenarios, some appear far fetched, but they shouldn't be criticized, they are just opinions.

*sigh.

And here I was trying to be diplomatic. OK, let's see...

Quote:
what conclusions?

To start with,

Quote:
the Browns can avoid screwing up their upcoming drafts and can cap manage the thing, they will join the up and coming franchises, the ones taking over. Rams. Jaguars. Eagles. Chiefs. Vikings.

That's quite a bold conclusion, which does not even take into consideration the fact that the Browns have a head coach who has a historically bad record.

Quote:
and why do the views of our current team have to be negative as if they are good but seen negatively?

To imply that you are wishing our team has as good a "system" as a franchise that has won the same number of games in the past 2 + seasons than the Dolphins have the first 2 weeks of this season is a rather negative view of the current state of the Dolphins. If you are what your record says you are, I'd rather be the Dolphins than the Browns, thank you very much.

Quote:
people write all kinds of future scenarios, some appear far fetched, but they shouldn't be criticized, they are just opinions.

You are correct. I didn't criticize, just said agree to disagree. On the other hand, I did criticize you for the "he's in a real system now" because HISTORY would tell you that he is actually in perhaps the worst football system in the history of the NFL, or certainly one of them.

Look, I actually agree that the Browns look much improved. If they can get a coach who is able to get the most out of them, they may be a force in the years to come. If they can't, I imagine they will underachieve until they either screw up their roster like they've done so many times before or start over with a new coaching staff again and again.

I also agree that Mayfield looks like he may be a stud for years to come. I wish we had drafted him. I was merely saying that I think I have a higher opinion of Tannehill and our coaching staff than you do. That's not a criticism, it's an observation. Which is why I ended with "agree to disagree", which is where it could have ended.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:34 am 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

cool....

and I love the NFL, it's the greatest time of the year ending with the most wonderful day of the year, and thanks to this board we're able to rattle cages and blow off steam...good group, a desire to muck it up, very much appreciated.

and give Jackson a chance, he finally has a QB to win with....can't leave home without one...the new GM there is smart and has made a bunch of good decisions...love their DE, their rookie corner, the safety from Michigan, and like Polian a bunch of years ago with the Colts who had to choose between Manning and Leaf, this guy had to choose between Mayfield and Darnold...we'll have to wait and see how that works out but right now, whew! Mayfield looked great....and the kicker choice is one many teams deal with...look at the Vikings.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:50 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:

Going off what you were saying that logic/philosophy obviously doesn’t apply to the Browns then, who have won less than 6% of their games throughout The Hue Program’s reign of NFL dominance.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:04 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Nice win but its still the Browns.
I am only going to comment on our next opponent and teams who actually pose a threat to the Dolphins which means I will only comment on our current opponent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:28 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
carreramia wrote:

Going off what you were saying that logic/philosophy obviously doesn’t apply to the Browns then, who have won less than 6% of their games throughout The Hue Program’s reign of NFL dominance.

oh yeah, ur the cartoon guy....ok, this is something we can talk about. You seem dead set on catching me backwards and forwards....good luck! You can nit pick the statement all you want but clearly here's the difference that in your haste you overlooked: there's a new sheriff in town in Cleveland. There was a TV show in the 60's, titled Have Gun Will Travel. The title being obvious what the show was about. Here, for NFL success purposes, it's Have QB Will Travel and the same thing applies. The Browns seemingly have found one, although admittedly it's only one game, no, wait, before you even think it, yes, it's only one half, but hey, most everyone that gets paid for talking about this stuff is projecting a new future for the Browns. Yes or no? Here in Fins land however, unfortunately for us, it's not quite so optimistic. It's been 3 years for the HC and 7 years for the QB, and average is where the Fins have been, and by the most generous optimistic forecasts this year, are expected to remain average. Thus my statement.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:23 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

You aren’t saying anything that I don’t already understand. You have a tendency to ramble on and not get to the point, which is your style I guess, cool. You have a diary style of writing. Just not my thing.

No one here is ‘criticizing’ you, just laughing at that original work of parody. But since you are so edgy about it, I guess I will nitpick. You do realize you compared Baker Mayfield to Dan Marino after two quarters of football, or did you miss that in your rambling?

carreramia wrote:
I saw a bit of Mayfield in college. I asked myself: is that how it's supposed to look like? And there wasn't any or very little of dump offs or check downs. Downfield bullets, often into close coverage. I miss that kind of "force" from our team. We had it once.

I could have gotten you completely wrong and for that I would apologize if that was a reference to T Hill, Henne, or John Beck.

:)

You are still ignoring the fact that The Hue Program has the worst record of any head coach in the history of the game. When you boil it down to the several thousands of head coaches that are included in that statistic over the course of almost a century, it’s pretty damning on its own, no? He’s the crowned king of incompetence from a numbers and record standpoint. Then you follow that up with this:

carreramia wrote:
and like the coach once said, you are who your record says you are until the team posts a winning record

I don’t believe I’m being brave or bold when I say I doubt any rooke QB would be banging the table to play for this guy.

Tannehill is 9-1 over his last 10 games and has had good success under Gase. A number the Browns haven’t touched in probably decades. Unless he is still really feeling that ACL, there hasn’t been any indication that this team’s outlook is worse off than the ****ing Browns. You can roll with Marino Jr. and The Hue Program. I got Gase.

-Cartoon Guy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:22 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

ok, that was sort of the pot calling the kettle black: I ramble, but ur building boxes with happy faces in them. You may want to rethink your critique of anyone's writing style.

On top of that, you managed to get other things wrong again. By "force" I meant a downfield passing game, a style, a system. Danny Boy stands by himself and including him in this discussion signals how you have something else at work in your thinking....in closing, don't want to ramble too much, you keep trying to make a point about the history of the Browns and Jackson's coaching record and compare that to THill's/Gase and I wonder, what does any of that have to do with the today and now?

- Nash Rambler.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
ok, that was sort of the pot calling the kettle black: I ramble, but ur building boxes with happy faces in them. You may want to rethink your critique of anyone's writing style.

On top of that, you managed to get other things wrong again. By "force" I meant a downfield passing game, a style, a system. Danny Boy stands by himself and including him in this discussion signals how you have something else at work in your thinking....in closing, don't want to ramble too much, you keep trying to make a point about the history of the Browns and Jackson's coaching record and compare that to THill's/Gase and I wonder, what does any of that have to do with the today and now?

- Nash Rambler.

What in the hell are you talking about? Building boxes with happy faces in them? Why am I barred from critiquing anyone’s writing style? You sound a bit salty there.

I’m not the only one laughing at your OP. It asked for it. Everyone threw a laugh in. Simply put you were building up the 2-33 Browns in your argument for the ‘average’ Fins to mold themselves into. Is that plain speak enough for you?

Funny you were the forum optimist last week too. You ask what does the past have to do with now? I don’t think I need a philosophical or historical degree when I say, uh, EVERYTHING. That’s how trends and predictions work...seeing what happened in the past...history is relevant to almost every living, breathing, aspect of life. In every job. In every sport. In every market. In every culture.

By all means though. Focus on the happy faces.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:44 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Calm down pal, you are getting a bit too hot over nothing. You like to poke fun but can't take it. And you were the only one laughing with those silly cartoons of yours.

I'm done, you've taken this conversation south.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
Calm down pal, you are getting a bit too hot over nothing. You like to poke fun but can't take it. And you were the only one laughing with those silly cartoons of yours.

I'm done, you've taken this conversation south.

I’m not hot. I’m having a good time. That’s the issue with online forums. You have no idea what the feeling is behind the words. It’s ultimately up to you to interpret it. I’m just pointing out the inconsistencies in your Browns fascination. If I was any calmer I’d be knocked out.

No hard feelings here at all. If anything I’m just giving you **** because you are a part of the team. It’s all in fun.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:54 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
I’m not hot. I’m having a good time. That’s the issue with online forums. You have no idea what the feeling is behind the words.

We have a lot of smilies here to try to help with that, but even then it's hard to know what the other person is really saying as you cannot see their faces or catch their mannerisms.

And AFC, you know I had to create a smilie with that last pic.

:niceday

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:49 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Geez. Seriously???

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:50 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Silly cartoons!

Hahaha!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:41 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Was this point of this whole thread just another "why does Miami have Tannehill? I hate him and want someone new?"

If you want to get excited about potential rookie QBs then follow Justin Herbert from Oregon, Drew Lock from Mizzou, Jarrett Stidham from Auburn and Ryan Finley from NC State. There is another kid named Tyree Jackson from Buffalo but he may be more of a project.

Also consider Nate Stanley from Iowa, Clayton Thorson from Northwestern and Will Grier from WVU.

Still plenty of time in the season for Tannehill to make both the brass and the fan base not have eyes for another QB. And, Gase has not let go of either Fales or Falk yet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:19 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

jammer wrote:
Was this point of this whole thread just another "why does Miami have Tannehill? I hate him and want someone new?"

No.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:43 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I am with you on this one, C'. It wasn't just that the Browns won or that Mayfield brought energy. Any little spark from anyone would have brought that stadium to life, given how starved those fans are. It was the way Mayfield has handled himself all preseason, learning the offense, rapidly improving since early spring practices, and gaining the respect of the locker room. Then he comes in, down 14-0, having not taken any snaps with the first team all week, and is dynamite. Suddenly, there were no more sacks (well, just one). He was much more decisive than Tyrod Taylor. He threw accurately, with zip, into tight windows, he went through his progressions, and he moved around in the pocket when needed to get more time. He never panicked. You could just tell that he is the real deal, even in just one half.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:46 pm 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I am with you on this one, C'. It wasn't just that the Browns won or that Mayfield brought energy. Any little spark from anyone would have brought that stadium to life, given how starved those fans are. It was the way Mayfield has handled himself all preseason, learning the offense, rapidly improving since early spring practices, and gaining the respect of the locker room. Then he comes in, down 14-0, having not taken any snaps with the first team all week, and is dynamite. Suddenly, there were no more sacks (well, just one). He was much more decisive than Tyrod Taylor. He threw accurately, with zip, into tight windows, he went through his progressions, and he moved around in the pocket when needed to get more time. He never panicked. You could just tell that he is the real deal, even in just one half.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:25 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

No one is arguing that Baker played well. The point was that it was ONE half of football and our boy was immediately comparing him to the Marino led passing game we had here and using the 2-33 Browns as an example of what the Miami offense should be striving for. No hyperbole either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:13 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

:haha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:22 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

carreramia wrote:
u brought up Marino....

carreramia wrote:
u brought up the Browns record as if it means anything today....

Because the past has never been known as an indication for future events.

carreramia wrote:
...just lie down will ya and enjoy the win today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:23 pm 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

prof123 wrote:
I am with you on this one, C'. It wasn't just that the Browns won or that Mayfield brought energy. Any little spark from anyone would have brought that stadium to life, given how starved those fans are.

Yeah, it has been long overdue for the Browns fans to have something real to root for....I lost track of how many QBs they've gone through....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:31 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
And AFC, you know I had to create a smilie with that last pic.

:niceday

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]