Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:35 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson wrote:
The Dolphins signed former FSU tight end Nick O’Leary to their practice squad. He had 32 catches for 473 yards and two touchdowns in three seasons and 35 games with Buffalo.

“He’s an impressive guy,” said offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains, who attended O’Leary’s Dolphins audition at 7 a.m. Tuesday. “He made a play on a corner route [Thursday]. He’s got some size, not the longest guy. Anxious to see what he does in the run game.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:40 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Even though O'Leary was a first-team AP All-American, first-team All-ACC and won the John Mackey Award for the nation's best tight end in 2014, the fact that he has struggled in the NFL isn't a surprise as he made up for his lack of athleticism at FSU with hard work and being versatile. He's a decent blocker, but I don't think he'll make the active roster.

Jason Lieser wrote:
After starring for Dwyer in football and lacrosse, O’Leary had a solid career at FSU. He played as a true freshman in 2011, and put up 81 catches for 1,175 yards and 13 touchdowns over his final two years.

The Bills drafted him No. 194 overall in 2015, but he struggled to get going. He spent most of his rookie year on the practice squad, then played 31 of 32 games over the next two seasons. Last year was the best of his career, and he had 22 receptions for 322 yards and two touchdowns.

O’Leary is a lifelong Dolphins fan and still resides in northern Palm Beach County, so that was another positive about this opportunity. He also liked what coach Adam Gase had to say in their initial discussion about coming to Miami and described him as, “a nice dude, relaxed.”

He’s been immersed in learning the playbook and adjusting to a new organization this week, but in the long run this could be a huge opportunity for him to reboot his career.

“It feels good,” O’Leary said. “I was just hoping to get back on another team, so to get back here and be home with the Dolphins is good. I was excited.”

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/fo ... QTW6BeGGP/

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:43 pm 
Honorary BILLS Fan
Honorary BILLS Fan

He could get onto an active roster

Here is the thing with him - He is adequate at everything. He is an OK blocker. An OK receiver. OK runner. OK hands. But not really good at anything.
If there is a need for an ordinary depth TE, a team could do a lot worse than O'Leary. But they could probably also find somebody that is better at some aspect of the game than him too.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]