View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Skolnick: It's time to cut ties with Joey Porter 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Skolnick: It's time to cut ties with Joey Porter
Quote:
My understanding, from these conversations, is that Porter had a habit of sending players off the field who had been sent in to take his spot, especially on third down... even after he was suspended for the Tampa Bay game. During that game, if you recall, Charlie Anderson had two sacks, Cameron Wake had one, and Jason Taylor had an interception.

After the suspension, Porter was restored to his previous spot in the outside linebacker rotation, which meant a heavy role in the third down packages from his preferred right side. And he did deliver at first, with two sacks against Carolina. He finished with nine sacks, Taylor finished with seven, Wake had five and Anderson had two.

The Dolphins did want to work Wake into the game more often at the end of the year, especially with Matt Roth gone, with the plan to use him mostly from the left side. That would have Porter and Taylor splitting time from the right, and Anderson getting some work as well. But my understanding is that Porter got more snaps than he would have otherwise, largely because the team did not, as one source put it, "want to rock the Joey boat."

This isn't the first time that I've heard that "rock the Joey boat" phrase, not even during the past two years, with a tougher regime in place. Two players told me before the season that, before Porter got on board with the Taylor signing, the team's braintrust had assured him that he would stay on his preferred side. And naturally, it was hard to argue with that decision, considering the tremendous success he had as a pass-rusher (if not a run-stopper) for the Dolphins in 2008. He did not have tremendous success in 2009.

More:
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_se ... l+Blogs%29

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:10 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Post Re: Skolnick: It's time to cut ties with Joey Porter
I find it hard to believe that Porter is overriding a coach. We just jettisoned the coach so maybe it was more to do with the scheme? What scheme would've had JT off the field for 3rd down in the stretch run? I'm not sure where all the anti-Joey hate is coming from but Porter is 1 year removed from 17 sacks. I'd like to see him in Nolan's scheme if the price is right.

Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:09 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

eh, whatev... I'd like to see the youngsters get more playing time anyways.

We still can't be 100% sure what we have in Charlie Anderson... and Wake seems solid with 5.5 sacks in limited playing time.

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:14 am

Quote:
I also found it interesting that Sparano refused to confirm or deny a report on Ethan Skolnick's blog here at SunSentinel.com that had multiple sources saying veteran linebackers Joey Porter and Jason Taylor clashed late in the season over Porter’s refusal to come off the field on some third downs.

“I can’t say yea or nay,” Sparano said after a pause.

So how was the relationship between the sport's two leading active sack masters near the end of the year?

“I thought Joey and Jason’s relationship, honestly, was very good," he said. "I really do. I think they work very well together as captains and I think they work very well with our younger players.”

Anybody else find it interesting he started that comment in the past tense before quickly switching to the present?
Taylor is a free agent while Porter is due a seven-figure roster bonus on in early March and could be cut.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:13 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]