All times are UTC-05:00

Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:21 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Again with the pass on 3rd and 1. They did this twice in the opener and failed both times. They failed again yesterday. I realize the intent is to keep the defense off balance but Miami seems to be taking on a reputation of smash mouth football. They're winning games along the trenches. Don't be Pete Carroll and throw when your winning the battles in the trenches.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:28 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Again with the pass on 3rd and 1. They did this twice in the opener and failed both times. They failed again yesterday. I realize the intent is to keep the defense off balance but Miami seems to be taking on a reputation of smash mouth football. They're winning games along the trenches. Don't be Pete Carroll and throw when your winning the battles in the trenches.

It was a bad pass..Execute!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

NFLJunkie wrote:

Yep, we should have run Gore up the gut for that one yard. It was a good play (but not a good call by Gase) as the receiver was open, but Tannehill's pass was off the mark. Some will criticize a QB who completed 74% of his passes and only focus on this imcompletion and the fumble, but an honest person knows that some passes a QB makes will be off the mark. These are the ones you have to complete though if you want to separate yourself from the middle of the pack QBs.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:40 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Yep, we should have run Gore up the gut for that one yard. It was a good play (but not a good call by Gase) as the receiver was open, but Tannehill's pass was off the mark. Some will criticize a QB who completed 74% of his passes and only focus on this imcompletion and the fumble, but an honest person knows that some passes a QB makes will be off the mark. These are the ones you have to complete though if you want to separate yourself from the middle of the pack QBs.

Good qb's complete 3rd downs and open wrs down Field more often. And that was two more fumbles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:45 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Kev1321 wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

It was a bad pass..Execute!

That is always the answer right. I mean play fake and throw a TD and no one cares. The bottom line, ask Pete Carroll about out-coaching yourself. If the run game is working, put the game in the hands of your big nasties and if you don't make it, sobeit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:47 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Tannehill is a game manager. If you're going to put your outcome in the hands of the game manager, you're going to be disappointed. I think there was a 4th n short and a 3rd and 1 last week along with the 3rd and 1 yesterday. Gase tends to out think himself on occasion. Sometimes football is just doing what works.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:20 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

I agree it may not be the best call Imo...But the play was open to be made the coaches I'm sure felt it would be, and took a shot...Set up by the fact it was 3rd and 1.

I'm not sure you can put that as a bad call...It should have worked...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:04 pm 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I get this overall sense that on 3rd downs, regardless of yardage needed (unless its in inches or goal line) a majority of teams throw it. Even deeper theory is this, why run the ball and have the play either get blown up or come short? If I pass it, the qb drops back to throw, ok good, but will all of these new rules that nobody can call consistently, the odds of positive yardage are better to throw. Will my QB get the questionable roughing the passer call? (odds are even HIGHER if you are a face of the NHL ala Brady, Rogers, etc), maybe the DB will hold the WR or interfere with him, or heck there is a chance for a targeting call. I don't think coaches actively think this way, but it has to be subconscious thoughts there. Pretty sad that on any given pass play you have higher chances of getting positive yards from penalties rather than just having the play executed.

Would love to try and run the numbers on that. Someone collect the data, I have SPSS through school right now and we could analyze the trends, lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:26 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

00xtremeninja wrote:
I get this overall sense that on 3rd downs, regardless of yardage needed (unless its in inches or goal line) a majority of teams throw it. Even deeper theory is this, why run the ball and have the play either get blown up or come short? If I pass it, the qb drops back to throw, ok good, but will all of these new rules that nobody can call consistently, the odds of positive yardage are better to throw. Will my QB get the questionable roughing the passer call? (odds are even HIGHER if you are a face of the NHL ala Brady, Rogers, etc), maybe the DB will hold the WR or interfere with him, or heck there is a chance for a targeting call. I don't think coaches actively think this way, but it has to be subconscious thoughts there. Pretty sad that on any given pass play you have higher chances of getting positive yards from penalties rather than just having the play executed.

Would love to try and run the numbers on that. Someone collect the data, I have SPSS through school right now and we could analyze the trends, lol

Teams use these trends to forecast what plays the offensive call is in certainl situations.. I remember Gruden talking about calling plays during garbage time just to offset trends.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:41 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Well, it will be interesting to track but 3rd/4th and short they're 0-3 passing the ball this season. With the running game getting tough yards and not many negative up the gut plays you have to go with what works. On the pass should of worked.... seriously. lmao. Would of, could of, should of is a losers hand. Ask Pete Carroll if he could have that throw at the 2 yard line back against the Patriots.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:10 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Running the ball would've worked!

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]